Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-13-2013, 08:43 PM   #19
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
wait, how does that work? how does it shorten both???

I ask out of pure ignorance as I assumed this lengthened one of the knobs on the end of the shifter and thus altered one cable attachment but the other was still stock.

I am really interested in this (even before I found out about the whole X axis thing).

thanks for any clarification.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:44 AM   #20
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ There is only one "knob" at the bottom of the shifter, which affects both cables, where the extension goes. With the short shifter (aka "extension"), to move the bottom the same distance as stock (necessary to complete the shift movement), you move the top (where the shift knob is) a shorter distance than stock.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:44 AM   #21
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

I'll make a video.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:19 PM   #22
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
I'll make a video.
great!! install and functionality display and testing?
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:06 PM   #23
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

instalation is quit simple. took me less than 20 minutes from drive way to test drive.

tools needed:
ratchet
10mm socket
12mm socket
needle nose to get the retainer clips off
and something to put bolt, clips and small thing in to reduce chances of lose

Supplied Allen key
supplied metal ball cup remover

first thing is to have the materials needed to install the kit (i.e. the kit, the car, and the tools...especially the tools)

1. you will need to remove a bolt(10mm) that hides inside the cup holder of the center console.

2. remove your shifter ball and shifter boot

3. grab close to the front of the console and pop up the clips that hold it in, then lift assembly out, keeping in mind that the if you have any electrical switches in your console they will need to be unplugged.

4. once removed there will be 4 bolts(14mm) holding the cage in to the car, remove these.

5. on the side of the cage there is an are with a cable attached to it and a clip holding it in, pull the hood side away from the arm the slip the straight side out the back and then slide the cable linkage off the arm

6. tip the cage over so that you can see the cable under the cage. there is a clip that goes around the cable end and hold the ball cup in the cable end. the clip simply is spread at the end towards the rear of the car then slips forward to allow the cup to be removed.

7. here is tricky part, the cup will be reused on the ball of the kit but, is currently in the way of the kit extension. the flat piece of metal with a hole and slit cut into it(ball cup removal tool) is for this task. simply slip the notch over the ball and pull the plate down, the ball will fit through the hole but the cup will not. if like me you want to remove as little as possible to do the install (as these direction are that method) it will be a slight trick to hold the shifter while removing the ball cup.

8. once the cup is removed you can press it onto the extension (being sure to make a funny face or it wont go on right).

9. slip the ball into the extension and screw down the Allen head screws with the supplied Allen key. snugging them quite tightly to better ensure that they do not back out.

10. re-install the cup end into the cable end and clip the clip back in place.

11. turn the cage over and bolt it back down to the car using all 4 bolts

12. slip the outer cable onto the arm being sure that the white clip piece is facing out and install the clip

13. re-install the center console, pressing the front clips back in and screwing in the cup holder bolt.

14. slip on the boot and screw back on the shift ball.

15. test the feel of the shift points

16. test drive the car(carefully while you get used to the change in shift gear location)

you are now complete for this task, enjoy quicker shifts once you body has relearned the gear locations.
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Old 01-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #24
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
^ create a DIY thread in the DIY forum.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #25
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

but but but, i was just explaining how easy it is >.>

not to mention that i don't know when i will be able to do it again to take the pictures to go with it to make a true DIY thread.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:22 PM   #26
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

I'll add the pics I took yesterday and make a PDF. You know where that will be posted.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:32 PM   #27
yariSB86

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Yaris LB
Just ordered the complete kit. Can't wait for it to get here!
yariSB86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:18 PM   #28
BondXII

Drives: 09 Yaris, 08 X-Runner
Just put this SSK in along with the cage bushings. Very easy. Took all of about ten minutes... In the dark. LOL. Pay attention to step 8... It's true. It won't go on any other way. Great product Garm. Tomorrow or Saturday I'll finally install the engine bracket and cable bushings. I know the order of install is all out if whack, but it's still fun to drive as is. It can only get better with the bracket and bushings. 2-Thumbs-Up!
BondXII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:00 PM   #29
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ Very glad to hear, thanks!

LOL @ step 8. yep.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:33 PM   #30
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
I'll make a video.
Calls the Thread Necromancer...

Ha, I just remembered this... where's that informational video, Garm!

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:18 PM   #31
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

my bad, I didn't make one yet. but... but... it's sooooo easy!
Old 03-05-2013, 07:20 AM   #32
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
^ There is only one "knob" at the bottom of the shifter, which affects both cables, where the extension goes. With the short shifter (aka "extension"), to move the bottom the same distance as stock (necessary to complete the shift movement), you move the top (where the shift knob is) a shorter distance than stock.
Not entirely true. The ball at the bottom only does the fore/aft movement, the nub on the side does the cross-car. The cross-car can't be directly altered because of the linkage, but altering the length of the upper shaft will shorten the overall throw.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:58 AM   #33
DeathBeard

Drives: 2010 Yaris S
sorry for the noob question..I remember seeing an old post that said the 09+ is somewhat different than the 07-08 shifter assembly? Can anyone elaborate or confirm this?

Proverbs 16:9
DeathBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #34
kou

Drives: 08 lb
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBeard View Post
sorry for the noob question..I remember seeing an old post that said the 09+ is somewhat different than the 07-08 shifter assembly? Can anyone elaborate or confirm this?
The cage that the shifter is in is different only because it is a little sturdier on the 07 it changed in 08
kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #35
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
my bad, I didn't make one yet. but... but... it's sooooo easy!
I was more interested in how it shortens the x-axis throw than anything... I know that it's easy!

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:30 AM   #36
crgf1k

Drives: 2008 HB
Will the shift knob be at stock height after installing the complete kit?
crgf1k is offline   Reply With Quote