Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-03-2017, 02:38 PM   #1
coolguyndc

Drives: 2012 Yaris LE
Windshield washer pressure too strong

I bought my Yaris 2 month ago, and since my ownership, one thing as been bugging me. The windshield washer pressure is so strong that it sprays 4 feet to the right of the car.

I looked at the nozzle, and it's clean, and not adjustable. I don't understand why it sprays over the car instead of the windshield. At 100 kph, it's ok.

Here is the sprinkler in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8um...ature=youtu.be

Does anybody know how to fix this (it's fun to play with, but it's gonnas suck in winter.
coolguyndc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 04:26 PM   #2
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Is the nozzle built in the wiper arm?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-03-2017, 07:45 PM   #3
coolguyndc

It snaps in, in a square hole
Old 09-04-2017, 05:14 AM   #4
mrpj

Drives: 2014 Icon+ 1.33l Multidrive
Mine is exactly the same! I don't know how to "fix" it and I'v just accepted what it does.
Why re-invent the wheel when the old tried and tested two nozzle arangement is adjustable and has worked perfectly well since I don't know when?
I've even sprayed innocent pedestrians to the left because it squirts fluid at such a high rate and not at the windsceen - remember, too, my steering wheel is on the right.
mrpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 11:57 AM   #5
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguyndc View Post
I bought my Yaris 2 month ago, and since my ownership, one thing as been bugging me. The windshield washer pressure is so strong that it sprays 4 feet to the right of the car.

I looked at the nozzle, and it's clean, and not adjustable. I don't understand why it sprays over the car instead of the windshield. At 100 kph, it's ok.

Here is the sprinkler in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8um...ature=youtu.be

Does anybody know how to fix this (it's fun to play with, but it's gonnas suck in winter.
You answered your own question. Because if it wasn't a strong enough stream it wouldn't spray on the windshield at 100kmh.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:46 PM   #6
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
I only press the squirt when the wiper is in a vertical position; otherwise, I'd be spraying cars to my right, other drivers if their windows are down, or pedestrians.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:30 PM   #7
coolguyndc

It sprays over sthe car too. Lol. Guess its ok then...
Old 09-08-2017, 02:30 AM   #8
heytim

Drives: 2014 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
I only press the squirt when the wiper is in a vertical position; otherwise, I'd be spraying cars to my right, other drivers if their windows are down, or pedestrians.
That would be an interesting case of road rage lol

I agree though OP, I too find that the fluid does squirt a bit strong (that's what she said..)
heytim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 05:42 AM   #9
mrpj

"I only press the squirt when the wiper is in a vertical position;"
That's not entirely possible though. The nozzle squirts before the wiper arm moves so that the initial squirt will be horizontal. Otherwise the rubber would be scraping over dry glass. Hence the term wash/wipe and not wipe/wash.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:57 AM   #10
RicStyx

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris 1.3 -3rd Gen
I managed to correct the angle of the water nozzle. Essentially you use a small sewing needle as if you where cleaning the nozzle out if dirt was inside it, and gently push it down. Mine now sprays directly onto the middle of the wiper blade and not over the side of the car as before. The nozzle has a very small amount of movement as there is small rubber o ring behind the metal jet.
RicStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:21 AM   #11
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicStyx View Post
I managed to correct the angle of the water nozzle. Essentially you use a small sewing needle as if you where cleaning the nozzle out if dirt was inside it, and gently push it down. Mine now sprays directly onto the middle of the wiper blade and not over the side of the car as before. The nozzle has a very small amount of movement as there is small rubber o ring behind the metal jet.
I'm going to try this.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 06:37 AM   #12
mrpj

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicStyx View Post
I have looked and tried this soon after buying the car but found there was no movement, however slight.
Knowing my luck I'd end up breaking the needle or similar in the jet by trying too hard!
Old 09-10-2017, 07:36 AM   #13
IllusionX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpj View Post
"I only press the squirt when the wiper is in a vertical position;"
That's not entirely possible though. The nozzle squirts before the wiper arm moves so that the initial squirt will be horizontal. Otherwise the rubber would be scraping over dry glass. Hence the term wash/wipe and not wipe/wash.
The very first swipe IS dry anyways, unless it sprays on top of the wiper, but then, the down swipe will be mostly dry. LOL

I've had similar overspray issues with GM cars. Was funny when I found out that spraying while driving highway speed the Pontiac Montana it overspray on both side of the car. Haha

Old 09-11-2017, 12:36 AM   #14
gedster314

Drives: Asolute Red 15 Yaris
I would F the other cars but some guy in Santa Carita Ca got so pissed that his car got sprayed, he pulled along side of the sprayer and took a few gun shots at the driver.
gedster314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:26 AM   #15
mrpj

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedster314 View Post
I would F the other cars but some guy in Santa Carita Ca got so pissed that his car got sprayed, he pulled along side of the sprayer and took a few gun shots at the driver.
At least that shouldn't happen in the U.K..
However, there's alway a risk of being stabbed or smacked in the face for such a major annoyance.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:09 PM   #16
RicStyx

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris 1.3 -3rd Gen
Quote:
I have looked and tried this soon after buying the car but found there was no movement, however slight.
Knowing my luck I'd end up breaking the needle or similar in the jet by trying too hard!
Just use the tip of the needle on the outside, dont put it right in as to avoid messing with the o ring, even possibly use the eyelet side of the needle. All your doing is pushing it down slightly. Remember if there is a small amount of movement it translates into a much bigger change in spray angle.
RicStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:43 AM   #17
mrpj

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
The very first swipe IS dry anyways, unless it sprays on top of the wiper, but then, the down swipe will be mostly dry. LOL

I've had similar overspray issues with GM cars. Was funny when I found out that spraying while driving highway speed the Pontiac Montana it overspray on both side of the car. Haha

If you'd care to check where your washer nozzle is located then it will be obsrved that it is above the wiper arm and does spray on top of the wiper blade. QED, the blade is wet whan it makes he first swipe, less the fluid which has sprayed beyond the blade - LOL!
Old 09-12-2017, 07:29 AM   #18
IllusionX

Quote:
If you'd care to check where your washer nozzle is located then it will be obsrved that it is above the wiper arm and does spray on top of the wiper blade. QED, the blade is wet whan it makes he first swipe, less the fluid which has sprayed beyond the blade - LOL!
GM makes it spray below the blade. But whatever.

Noticed one time how the rear wiper almost didn't spray on the glass. It was until I got to the city that I noticed how it squirt to the right. Fun how I wet the car next to me.

Tags
2012, washer, windshield, yaris