Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-23-2011, 10:42 AM   #19
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjiwake View Post
Making a manual car without a tach seems like a poor choice on Toyota's part, but that's just my opinion..
It would suck for me at first because I'll basically be learning to drive stick with this car, so until i master the shift points I'd be relying on the sound, like COM said. And I'm guessing a yaris engine isn't particularly loud.

But thanks for the replies, they're a lot of help.
In Toyota's defence, all Canadian yarises since 06 have had tachs
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:42 PM   #20
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDefeat View Post
Since my underdrive pulley install, my shift points have actually changed from the standard 30,60,90 to 35,65... etc. I still would like a tach, however. That being said, I can't stand the look of most tach installs because they just scream ricer so bad. I think my best bet would be an OEM gauge replacement, or one built into the dash where the left glove box is, but I hate to lose that storage space...

There's an 08 cluster with Tach for sale here somewhere....

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:35 AM   #21
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
I would just get an ecometer. Plug it in to the OBD2 port and stick it on the steering column. Done.

Instant tach. $60 from MI.
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

Last edited by R2D2; 06-24-2011 at 08:36 AM. Reason: add
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:55 AM   #22
matthewai

Drives: it is kinda stock
so the ecometer and scanguage both just plug into the port ? do they both show the same info bassically ?
matthewai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:08 PM   #23
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
i think the ecometer is very limited on what it can do. there is also the ultragauge which is about the price of the ecometer but shows a lot more. the scangauge and ultragauge are very similar in functionality.

I have a tach and an ultragauge. realize that the refresh rate on the scangauge, ultragauge, and ecometer may be an issue (I have read about 2 times a second but not sure on that one). I could easily rev the motor and the ultragauge would take a bit to refresh the RPMs that it was showing. my tachometer does pretty good as far as how fast it reacts (at least as far as I know).

I actually have a scangauge and an ultragauge (one in each vehicle) I prefer the scangauge but the ultragauge is so much cheaper and does similar things. I don't have any experience with the ecometer but it is probably very functional for what it does.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:14 PM   #24
matthewai

okay i see i do like the idea of knowing the mpg i dont think i would use it as a tach as my 010 sedan has one in the dash but i really like having the air and water (engine) temp is there anyway to have just a temp gauge along with the ecometer ?
Old 06-24-2011, 12:31 PM   #25
BEEF

wow, funny you want those gauges.

my ultragauge is setup to display MPH, MPG (instantaneous) water temp and incoming air temp. it also shows distance on oil change and something else. I don't really care about those last two.

my ultragauge was $77 shipped. I didn't worry about the $9 rebate. I heard it was quite a hassle.

http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/index.htm

not ragging on the ecometer but from what I have read, it only shows 4 different things. you can use the ultragauge as a scantool too.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:38 PM   #26
matthewai

uve made up my mind ahha good looks ill have to get on this
Old 06-24-2011, 12:42 PM   #27
BEEF

the manual is huge and it is a downloadable deal. I only use a very small part of the functionality of mine but if you have time, you can read the manual and customize the display for the exact 6 things you want.

it was one of the first things I bought for the yaris (along with an armrest and bumper protector)
Old 06-24-2011, 12:43 PM   #28
matthewai

it seems like almost to much shit though like its to "busy" for me but i guess once you customize what you want it to show its prob pretty cool
Old 06-24-2011, 12:44 PM   #29
matthewai

do you have a pic of it in your car beef>?
Old 06-24-2011, 01:00 PM   #30
BEEF

sorry took a while as I didn't want to do the phone camra thing.

up close

hope that is what you were looking for. you got lucky, I only drive the yaris one day a week.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:57 PM   #31
bladesmith6

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
Quote:
Toyota got it right with the tachless 2007 Yaris . A Tachometer is a want not a need . The only diagnostic purpose it could serve would be if you had a manual trans and your clutch started slipping . Then the rpm's would increase while your speed would remain relatively unchanged . Speaking from experience , you should not have to worry about clutch slippage for at least 115,000 miles . My Yaris as 113,000 miles and no slippage yet .

A good guideline for shifting would be to shift every 10 mph . 1st to 2nd @ 10mph , 2nd to 3rd @ 20 . or use 15 mph intervals . You could also use 30 mph intervals like I do .
Pardon my french but in regards to the first part of your statement, bullshit. It was just one more way for Toyota to put the screws to us, there are tons of nice options that come on this car in other countries and half of them we can't even buy if we wanted to. A manual car should ALWAYS come with a tach, not having one was unbelievably cheap of them.
bladesmith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:17 PM   #32
matthewai

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
sorry took a while as I didn't want to do the phone camra thing.
nice thats cool
Old 07-08-2011, 12:31 PM   #33
matthewai

i got the ecometer i plugged it in with out holding the left button so i guess i need to unplugg and redo that step to do the initial set up of the gauge otherwise its pretty cool though
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ecom01.jpg (124.7 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg ecom02.jpg (154.3 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg ecom03.jpg (44.4 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg ecom04.jpg (148.7 KB, 171 views)
Old 11-30-2011, 01:36 AM   #34
Benjiwake

Drives: Yaris
Well It's been a while, but I ended up getting a new yaris that was made with a built in tach. I'm super glad it has one so that I didn't have to mess with putting my own in. And you guys are right, there's not necessarily a NEED for one..I usually don't really pay much attention to it. But it is nice when I'm listening to music really loud and I can't shift by just the sound of the engine.
Benjiwake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:52 AM   #35
albee213

Drives: No longer own a Yaris
I have seen many of the autos with tachs but not the manuals, doesnt make sence to me but American car companies did this all the time in the 80's, I used to own an 85 Shelby Charger that was turbo with a few mods and was fast as hell and the speedo only went to 85 (it did have a tach), the same year Dodge minivan came standard with speedos that went to 125 MPH... What do engineers think about when they put these cars together?

I actualy broke the speedo bringing it over 360 degrees past 0 to about 140mph.
albee213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:00 AM   #36
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by albee213 View Post
I have seen many of the autos with tachs but not the manuals, doesnt make sence to me but American car companies did this all the time in the 80's, I used to own an 85 Shelby Charger that was turbo with a few mods and was fast as hell and the speedo only went to 85 (it did have a tach), the same year Dodge minivan came standard with speedos that went to 125 MPH... What do engineers think about when they put these cars together?

I actualy broke the speedo bringing it over 360 degrees past 0 to about 140mph.

There was a law back then that did not allow the speedo to exceed 85mph even if the car could go faster.

I remember my dad's Eurosport speedo only went 140kmh, and the car could go faster.