Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-06-2015, 04:24 PM   #1
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
Custom Grounding Kit (w/pics!)

I built an electrical super-highway today!

you may wonder why I've done this. on a vehicle there is 1, maybe 2 ground straps on the entire grounding system. this can cause a slight delay or "bottle neck" in the grounding of electricity. by running a dedicated ground to various points you can improve the response and reliability of all electronics in the vehicle. manufactures will install the least amount of ground straps possible to maximize profit. if they can save $2 on every car, that's millions of dollars of profit.
I built a grounding system for my last car. I never had any electrical issues, not so much as a burnt out bulb in 13 years and 328,000 miles. i'd replace bulbs because they would become dim, but they never burned out....
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 07:20 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
As an electrical engineer by schooling, I always find these super grounding threads amusing. The stock grounding of a vehicle is more than sufficient for the standard setup of the vehicle. When engineering a complex electrical system the layout of grounding is just as critical as the layout of positive supplies and you can be sure that in modern time, those doing the engineering of automotive electrical systems fully understand that.

You would only see benefit from adding additional grounding if you have increased the power demand of the electrical system (primarily accomplished with aftermarket audio or lighting systems) or if you have experienced corrosion of the factory grounds.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:24 PM   #3
SirDigby

I see the benefits as: easy/quick starts, consistent headlight brightness, bulb longevity, smoother idle, life longevity of starter and alternator, smoother engagement of A/C condenser clutch.

As an institutionally educated AND practicing automotive technician (the proper way to state ones education) I (and every other technician) can attest that most engineers have no idea what's going on and that the placement of most connectors and junctions are put in the most asinine places with no regards to servicing or replacement. Automotive corporations only regard the maximum profit they can make, which means cutting every possible corner they can.
plus, everything electrical in the car needs grounded. the "critical" part is that there is not enough. you can't have "too much ground," any electrical engineer will know this...
Old 12-06-2015, 10:03 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDigby View Post
I see the benefits as: easy/quick starts, consistent headlight brightness, bulb longevity, smoother idle, life longevity of starter and alternator, smoother engagement of A/C condenser clutch.

As an institutionally educated AND practicing automotive technician (the proper way to state ones education) I (and every other technician) can attest that most engineers have no idea what's going on and that the placement of most connectors and junctions are put in the most asinine places with no regards to servicing or replacement. Automotive corporations only regard the maximum profit they can make, which means cutting every possible corner they can.
plus, everything electrical in the car needs grounded. the "critical" part is that there is not enough. you can't have "too much ground," any electrical engineer will know this...
LOL - proper...

This is definitely not worth turning into a p...ing contest over, but as I mentioned above, every circuit needs a ground with equal ampacity (accounting for conductor capacity, length and thermal characteristics) to that of its supply. Beyond that there is no benefit.

If you want to prove that you have actually improved your electrical system use a storage scope to record the voltage to each of the devices you believe you have benefited with and without your additional ground wires. If the voltage drop is less during the peak current draw events for the given device, then you have indeed assisted that device.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:28 AM   #5
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
What CTScott said.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:35 PM   #6
SirDigby

ok. sorry. :) I just have issues with people challenging me, and I defend my actions. I have always had issues with automotive engineers because I use to work for Volkswagen and they are so retarded with the way they put EVERYTHING in that I talk shit to anyone claiming to be any kind of engineer.
once again i'm sorry for flying off the handle. I should have been more professional.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:12 AM   #7
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
CTScott is the electrical guru here on the forum. He has helped so much in the Yaris community and his vast knowledge of yaris parts and electrical magic has gotten many of us out.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:26 PM   #8
Kickyaris09

Drives: 09 yaris blazin blue
Ahh that's it? I wanted to see someone argue with Scott ( I highly advise against this) ...lol was just getting good.
Kickyaris09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:24 PM   #9
code54

Drives: 2012 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
What CTScott said.
X2 on that one!
code54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 12:59 PM   #10
Kickyaris09

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
What CTScott said.
X2

It's also basic electrical knowledge that adding ground won't do anything unless the factory ground have been compromised or like Scott says adding aditional electrical draw on the system. But if you don't add more power while adding ground you are just making your own bottle neck.
Old 01-01-2016, 01:31 PM   #11
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
Ampacity? Amperage?
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:41 PM   #12
Kickyaris09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
Ampacity? Amperage?
Scott correct me if I'm wrong but I believe ampacity is how much can be stored in the system and amperage is basically the amount of flow. Think of it like water...bigger hose more water, more amperage less current. Smaller hose less water but greater pressure, higher current lower amperage.

Last edited by Kickyaris09; 01-02-2016 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:39 AM   #13
john21031

Drives: '10 Fit Sport MT and 2012 Fit
Ampacity is a portmanteau for ampere capacity defined by National Electrical Safety Codes, in some North American countries. Ampacity is defined as the maximum amount of electric current a conductor or device can carry before sustaining immediate or progressive deterioration.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ampacity
john21031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:42 PM   #14
beaker

Drives: 07 Yaris 3 door
I've been blowing freaking headlight bulbs like crazy lately. I'm wondering if the sound system I put in is stressing the electrical system and causing it, or if it's just piss poor quality of light bulbs. Maybe some extra ground straps would help me????
beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:38 PM   #15
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaker View Post
I've been blowing freaking headlight bulbs like crazy lately. I'm wondering if the sound system I put in is stressing the electrical system and causing it, or if it's just piss poor quality of light bulbs. Maybe some extra ground straps would help me????
I would doubt that the stereo system has anything to do with it. Are you using SilverStars or some other super bright bulbs? If so they tend to burn out quickly. Regular OEM bulbs should last forever.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 12:49 AM   #16
Kickyaris09

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaker View Post
If your headlights dim when the bass hits it can cause stress on the bulbs, if this is happening I would add a capacitor to your stereo system.