Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-05-2007, 11:21 AM   #19
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
So I did a quick half-fill yesterday to see what my mileage was now that my car is nice and used to the new synthetic.

36.2 MPG. That is 3 MPG better than I've ever been able to achieve. That was in all sorts of weather,too... we went from 77 degrees to below freezing and snowing in 24 hours. 75% city, 25% highway.

I'm sold on synthetic oil improving mileage so far. Give it a few thousand miles.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:34 PM   #20
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
isn't it bad to keep your filter for that long? (if it's synthetic)
Nope, not bad at all. Remember, our little engines don't stress out much...I rarely tach over 3,500, and even then it's a few times. Plus the load on the engine is not much...I drive for high MPG, so I press the gas pedel the least as possible.
Pavel Olavich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:35 PM   #21
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
I too noticed a big difference in MPG after switching to synthetic (5w-30, supertech full synthetic). Then again, I had the dealer do my 1st oil change (special was $8.99 for oil & filter) and they put in, for some reason, 10w-30 during winter.... no idea why as putting thicker oil in during winter would help ANYTHING. But after switching to the full synthetic I noticed a power increase, and about a 7-10% increase in MPG, which is close to what chino achieved. On my next oil change I will be using amsoil and changing that every 6 months along with a TRD oil filter. One prior post I read way back the user said he would go to wal-mart every 5,000 miles, pick up a filter and oil, copy the receipt, return the goods, and clip a copy of the receipt in the maintenance log, to keep toyota's warranty people happy, and it worked. I have been using only full synthetic in all my vehicles since 2001 (except my $80 '77 corolla wagon) and have been happy with the results ever since. No needed engine work, less fuel used. In my '87 Chevy Astro van I switched it to synthetic at 80k and only ran it that way until I sold it with about 140k on the odometer. Every mechanic who I took the van too said my engine was in the best condition they had seen for that mileage, and that I would easily get another 100k out of the motor before any real repairs would be needed. I also run full synthetic 2-stroke oil in my Yamaha Zuma scooter due to the performance (lol) parts installed and I should average at least an extra 1,000 miles out of the motor, which is quite a bit for that type of ride. There's my two cents. I know the internet is flooded with every argument imaginable. If I was leasing I would probably not have bothered with synthetic. But since I bought my yaris and never plan on selling, I want the motor to be in great shape for many years to come.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 03:08 PM   #22
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
So I did a quick half-fill yesterday to see what my mileage was now that my car is nice and used to the new synthetic.

36.2 MPG. That is 3 MPG better than I've ever been able to achieve. That was in all sorts of weather,too... we went from 77 degrees to below freezing and snowing in 24 hours. 75% city, 25% highway.

I'm sold on synthetic oil improving mileage so far. Give it a few thousand miles.
okay, i think i'm going with synthetic from now on...
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 03:09 PM   #23
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Olavich View Post
Nope, not bad at all. Remember, our little engines don't stress out much...I rarely tach over 3,500, and even then it's a few times. Plus the load on the engine is not much...I drive for high MPG, so I press the gas pedel the least as possible.
exactly how i drive.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:11 PM   #24
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
I too noticed a big difference in MPG after switching to synthetic (5w-30, supertech full synthetic). Then again, I had the dealer do my 1st oil change (special was $8.99 for oil & filter) and they put in, for some reason, 10w-30 during winter.... no idea why as putting thicker oil in during winter would help ANYTHING. But after switching to the full synthetic I noticed a power increase, and about a 7-10% increase in MPG, which is close to what chino achieved. On my next oil change I will be using amsoil and changing that every 6 months along with a TRD oil filter. One prior post I read way back the user said he would go to wal-mart every 5,000 miles, pick up a filter and oil, copy the receipt, return the goods, and clip a copy of the receipt in the maintenance log, to keep toyota's warranty people happy, and it worked. I have been using only full synthetic in all my vehicles since 2001 (except my $80 '77 corolla wagon) and have been happy with the results ever since. No needed engine work, less fuel used. In my '87 Chevy Astro van I switched it to synthetic at 80k and only ran it that way until I sold it with about 140k on the odometer. Every mechanic who I took the van too said my engine was in the best condition they had seen for that mileage, and that I would easily get another 100k out of the motor before any real repairs would be needed. I also run full synthetic 2-stroke oil in my Yamaha Zuma scooter due to the performance (lol) parts installed and I should average at least an extra 1,000 miles out of the motor, which is quite a bit for that type of ride. There's my two cents. I know the internet is flooded with every argument imaginable. If I was leasing I would probably not have bothered with synthetic. But since I bought my yaris and never plan on selling, I want the motor to be in great shape for many years to come.
i, too, am planning on keeping my Yaris for quite some time. since you mentioned that about your Astro Van, there's my second push for synthetic.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:31 PM   #25
ChinoCharles
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
okay, i think i'm going with synthetic from now on...
For the record, Royal Purple 5W30.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:13 PM   #26
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
From what I've read Royal Purple has had quality control issues, but it is a Type IV oil, better than castrol or mobile 1 which are type III (not truly "synthetic:. I use Royal Purple in my scooter and it made a huge difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07WYarisRS View Post
You can order Amsoil online or I can put you in touch with my Amsoil guy and either he can ship it to you or know of someone or another place to order Amsoil from. Redline is also An excellent lubricant. Royal purple is decent but has had quality control issues in the past that I have seen first had with lab test results. Things like high copper levels, water and even grades being off. I would stick with Amsoil or Redline.
The rest like Mobil 1, Castrol Syntec, Motul, Qstate, pennzoil synthetics etc are all just highly refined crude/mineral based oil. IMO not worth the prices they charge
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 05:14 PM   #27
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Royal Purple may well be a great brand, however I like Mobile1 EP for it's 15,000 mile claim...not that I go that far between changes; 10,000 is the limit for me.
Pavel Olavich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 05:53 PM   #28
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
I still change every 5000 no matter what oil I got.... and I am running 0w-20 mobile 1 synthetic.... I may switch back to amsoil.... or try royal purple, since Chino gave it a go
Old 04-05-2007, 06:42 PM   #29
Go4th

Drives: Yaris S Sedan color Flint Mica
From all my research I feel that AMSOil is the best. It took me about 3 months to read about all I could find about oil's and make my decision.
When I started I did not care about the type or brand.
Synthetics or regular oils made no difference I just wanted the best.
I truly felt that Mobil would turn out to be the best but that was not the case.
I had never even heard of AMSOil really or Royal Purple or even Redline.
Months ago when threads popped up about this subject I posted some sites that were the most beneficial to me on my findings and decision making.
Changing oil does not bother me and in my mind while researching I would change it as often as I feel necessary based on my driving, oil color, if I felt it needed it, what the oil company recommended, etc... as long as I have the best oil made.
I still will do that and cost don’t matter to me when I know that I am putting the best in there and it gives me a peace of mind about it and I am taking care of my engine.
The order I would buy based on my research would be
AMSOil
Red Line
Mobil fully synthetic
Oil filters study I also checked into at the same time and the order I would buy would be
The new (Ea filters by AMSOil) AMSoil filter EaO09
Wix 51394
Baldwin B-33
Toyota
I feel that since the synthetic oil last 3-5 normal oil changes, gauging it on regular oil, not synthetics, and every 5000 mile rule would be 15000-25000 miles per oil change interval for sythetics, depending on your personal driving style and what makes you comfortable.
Changing the filter every 5,000 miles would keep the oil clean plus it puts about 1qt (for argument sake, probably less small oil filter) of fresh oil back in there too would be good for about 2-4 times
depending on if you want to kick it up a notch and do it every 3,000 miles
(what I chose to do because I am still in that old school every 3,000 miles you change your oil and I did not like it when the service guy argued with me that it is recomended by toyota to do it every 5,000 miles not 3,000 miles)
and the 5th time 15,000 miles I will change 100%
So that’s
From 0 miles to 3000 miles then a filter and 1 qt.
Then 3001 miles to 6000 miles then a filter and 1qt
6001-9000 filter and 1qt
then 9001 miles to 12000 miles a filter and 1qt
and finally the last stretch I am taking is 12001 to 15000 then 100% new oil and filter.
I think that AMSOil says extreme conditions every 15000 miles and normal conditions 25,000 miles or 1year which ever is 1st is the recommended oil change interval. They say the same for their filter but:
Like I said I still have every 3000 miles in my head from growing up so it will take time for me to fathom waiting 25,000 miles. So I chose to give them the extreme condition interval for my car and then change that filter several times between oil changes.
I am changing it this way because it gives me a peace of mind. As I continue, I guess the oil texture, color, and other factors may aid me in different procedures than what I listed above but until then that is my decision.
This is all based on how I feel about what I read, my old school ways that I cannot let go (yet), and what gives me a peace of mind until I see what they say is true with my own eyes.
Go4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 06:45 PM   #30
ChinoCharles
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
From what I've read Royal Purple has had quality control issues, but it is a Type IV oil, better than castrol or mobile 1 which are type III (not truly "synthetic:. I use Royal Purple in my scooter and it made a huge difference.
Honestly, I've read about "quality" issues with just about every single product maybe ever invented. There is always someone knocking something. Take the Yaris for example... . All I know is I use it and it works for me.

Quote:
Royal Purple may well be a great brand, however I like Mobile1 EP for it's 15,000 mile claim...not that I go that far between changes; 10,000 is the limit for me.
The reason I don't go longer than 5,000 miles between changes is simply a resale issue. I am afraid that although there is no danger in going longer when using superb oil, used car buyers may be weary of buying a car that has only seen 10 oil changes in 100,000 miles. That isn't to say that logic makes any sense, I'm just saying people don't know any better. I feel bad enough not having the actual dealership sticker in my book, but I keep all receipts and keep detailed records nonetheless.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:53 PM   #31
Black Yaris
der Zeck

that is why I change oil every 5k miles no matter what as well, for resale and warranty issues that may come up down the road
Old 04-05-2007, 07:33 PM   #32
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
that's the recommended weight, right?
Old 04-05-2007, 07:45 PM   #33
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Toyota TSB says you can use 0w-20 as well
Old 04-05-2007, 07:49 PM   #34
Kaotic Lazagna

i can't even find Amsoil anywhere here in Sac.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:50 PM   #35
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
Toyota TSB says you can use 0w-20 as well
isn't that way too thin/light?
Old 04-05-2007, 07:51 PM   #36
ChinoCharles
Banned

0W-20 is fine. Toyota released a TSB condoning it because they realized these cars get better mileage running oil that is akin to real maple syrup. That shit is light.