Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-16-2015, 02:01 AM   #1
karloslatynos

Drives: 2012 Yaris TR 1.33 VVT-i Man
K&N Air filter

I am going to replace standard air filter to K&N one but debating whether to go for full kit (with chrome pipe work) or just simple air filter?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-...QAAOSwVFlT9Hcq

Has anyone tried this? Does it make any difference in terms of sound, fuel consumption and performance?

Why there is a range of prices between £10 to £45 just for filter?
karloslatynos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 05:13 AM   #2
willieG

Drives: 09 hb 2nzfe m
I have just a kn panel filter in the stock air box of my 1.3Lmanual

there was a little bit of a difference in acceleration from 2nd gear 60km/hr between 2marks on the road. between 4-7km/hr better speed with the k&n compared to stock.

wasn't anydifference in sound IMO.

Then I made the cut a couple holes in the bottom of the stock airbox. Makes it much louder almost like a pod filter sound and I haven't bothered with going back to that same road to test again.

not too sure about fuel efficency difference. Might be better because if i put my foot down too far it makes to much noise. ha ha

its not super science. but ehh. I did change filters back and forth after a couple runs to check the difference in speeds incase it was the direction of the wind
willieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 06:06 AM   #3
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
You should know that the oil on the KN filter tends to end up on the MAF sensor which then throws a code or gets damaged and a new one is like $300.

Bronsin does not recommend KN filters for the Yaris.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:07 AM   #4
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by karloslatynos View Post
I am going to replace standard air filter to K&N one but debating whether to go for full kit (with chrome pipe work) or just simple air filter?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-...QAAOSwVFlT9Hcq

Has anyone tried this? Does it make any difference in terms of sound, fuel consumption and performance?

Why there is a range of prices between £10 to £45 just for filter?
http://www.carid.com/afe-power/?gcli...OqUaAnLn8P8HAQ
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:24 AM   #5
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I'd recommend just going with the full intake and not just the filter.

I had removed my snorkel, plugged the snorkel hole and then opened up the other 2 sides of the whole airbox. It sounded better then stock. I then installed a short ram intake and it was louder under the hood. I can't compare acceleration since I never did any hard pulls when I had the stock air box in.

If you do any other mods like an exhaust header, you'll wish you had a full intake and not just the filter. I'd also recommend non oil type filters.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:50 AM   #6
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Invader approves this!

No to oiled air filters on the Yaris!
Old 10-16-2015, 11:59 AM   #7
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
My Yaris came with a K&N CAI system. I put the stock box back in and notice Zero difference . I would not waste your money, or the engine longevity on a snake oil company like K&N.

Put your money into things that make a difference, like Shock/struts, springs, sway bars, and tires.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:06 PM   #8
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
^ I do agree with this as in I don't think it's worth the $350 you can find the brand name ones online for. But you can easily buy an ebay kit and if it doesn't work perfectly just buy a cone filter and use a sawzall to make it work.

I was fortunate to buy a used TRD cold air intake for a great price, but I wanted a short ram due to water concerns. I cut and hacked and zip tied and now it works problem free and no vacuum leaks.

The more mods you have in regards to air flow the more important the intake is. On its own it's pretty much pointless. Paired with my header, 1 ZZ throttle body and ported intake, it is awesome. The growl from the engine bay is awesome and it actually pulls enough now to put you back in your seat
Old 10-16-2015, 04:29 PM   #9
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
For Sale:

Slightly used K&N Air Filter.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:57 AM   #10
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
You should know that the oil on the KN filter tends to end up on the MAF sensor which then throws a code or gets damaged and a new one is like $300.

I second that. In fact any oiled filter is not recommended. You want a washable dry element filter.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:50 AM   #11
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
I guess it takes along time to mess with the sensor, or is it when they are oiled too heavy?
I put a K&N air filter on at about 25k miles and am now at 94K with no issues. Not disputing what you found, just curious about it. After I clean mine, I do a very light coating of oil, as I don't want to restrict air flow,just catch dirt. That being said, I haven't seen any performance or gas mileage difference either. So is it worth it the money they ask for it? Not really, course I got mine as a low bidder so I only paid 21.00 to begin with for the whole kit. Not a CAI, just the filter kit for the stock box.
Old 10-17-2015, 02:51 PM   #12
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

The MAF sensor works with a hot wire inside at about 200°F. So any oil vapour carbonizes to it and slowly insulates it causing it to react slower and slower and can make the car run leaner and leaner.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:25 AM   #13
willieG

Drives: 09 hb 2nzfe m
hrmmmm .. my car does run lean at full throttle. i think.

its like 18.7 afr. even if i go full throttle at 2k rpm all the way to near redline, altho half throttle stays at 14.7 through out the rev range.

Does the yaris have a 'learning ecu' (if thats a thing??!?) because i drive rather light footed normally

might have to try stock filter again and clean the MAF senser to see if it changes the afr
willieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:36 AM   #14
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Yes the ECU learns long term and short term fuel trims.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:00 PM   #15
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Two years with a K&N air filter and I use fogging oil for open air filters on the Yaris. I have two filters, I wash one and lightly fog it then put it aside, other one is on the car in use. When it's time to do a filter clean/wash I swap. Not ever had a contaminated MAF and I clean my MAF, Throttle bodies once a year but their spotless. A/F ratio has been the same.

My winter beater a 98' Subaru Legacy GT also runs a K&N with P-flow.........zero issues.

Now do I have any performance gains? Yes but only because nothing is stock from TB, intake to complete exhaust and more. Do just an open air filter and your wasting your time unless you just want to make noise.

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:06 AM   #16
paulge3

Drives: '11 Yaris
I also have the k&n that I got from 4 wheel online. Have no problems with it. I just need to be careful when cleaning and re-oiling it so that it will not mess up the MAF. Can't tell if there's a noticeable change in power and fuel consumption but I like how it sounds.
paulge3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:41 AM   #17
craig11520

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris Sedan
I have a K&N in my stock box. Never had an maf issue. Light oiling is the key to keeping it clean in my opinion. Does it add more oompf to the engine? probably not but one thing a reusable filter will do for you is cut down the $10-$15 dollar out of pocket expense of having to replace the basic paper filters every time they get dirty.
craig11520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:15 PM   #18
JimKellyfan

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
The filtration is less, thus allowing more air and crud into your engine. Of course there will be more airflow but at what cost ? I use Toyota oil and air and cabin air filters only in both my Yotas.
2010 Yaris sedan, TRD CAT back (sport muffler only, really), OBX header (relocated front AF sensor to front pipe), OBX throttle plate spacer, K&N filter (in stock air box-for now), TRD struts and shocks, Mexico Rough Road Springs x 4, new Yota sway bar links front, slotted/drilled rotors and Maxx brakes front, Valvoline synthetic brake fluid, 3M undercoated, 16" Konig Feathers Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3 + Tires
TRD rear sway bar, 4 GT Spec bars including: front strut brace 2 point, 4 point ladder brace, mid chassis brace and rear lower tie brace, rear hitch, [B]
JimKellyfan is offline   Reply With Quote