Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-06-2016, 11:06 AM   #1
MedMantle

Drives: Yaris '05 1.3 Hatch "R.I.P."
OEM Power Locks wiring in Base Model

Previously I had installed the OEM Electric Windows and wired them myself. I just got OEM Power Locks and they obviously need to be powered as well. Can anyone give me an idea how the system has to be powered to work? Using the OEM harness I see that all the passenger doors door locks are powered by a pink and grey wire. The driver side harness has a few more I think. I also have the OEM switch on the door.

If the system is similar to the Electric Windows then all the passenger doors wires will be linked together so there would only be 2 wires from them, 2 from the driver lock, 2 from the actual switch and 12v and Ground.

I'll have a look at it again tomorrow or so.

If I figure it out I just have one question, do I have to use a relay to power the locks or must they get permanent power? I'm just wondering because if I unlock my driver door with my key it should open all the doors right? In that case I can't use switched power because my key is obviously not in the ignition yet?

Thanks! :)
MedMantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 03:25 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
For the OEM setup, one pair of relays drives the lock and unlock of the driver's door and another pair drives the lock and unlock of the rest of the doors.

Some logic has to always be powered to allow them to be locked and unlocked. In the case of the OEM setup the Body ECU has constant power and has a switch input from the key lock as well as an input from the door control receiver for keyless entry.

I installed aftermarket power locks on one of my Yaris and the kit that I purchased had a little control box with the relays setup where manual unlocking of one door would trigger all to be unlocked. The module also had a ground to lock and a ground to unlock input for easily connecting it to a keyless entry system.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:03 PM   #3
MedMantle

Drives: Yaris '05 1.3 Hatch "R.I.P."
CTScott, I saw a video on using a "Resisitve Rest at Ground" setup to lock and unlock the doors. It seems to be the simplest solution to my installation. I understand you need 2 relays to reverse the polarity of the actuators to "lock" and "unlock" the doors, but like you mentioned, I'd like to also have the feature where if I manually lock or unlock my driver door that the others would do the same. Is there a way to implement that to what I'm gonna try without the use of a specialized part?

In the OEM setup, what happens when you manually lock/unlock your driver door that triggers the rest of the doors? Is it beyond the capabilities of basic relays etc. ?

Thank you very much, you got me on the right track here **
MedMantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 07:50 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedMantle View Post
CTScott, I saw a video on using a "Resisitve Rest at Ground" setup to lock and unlock the doors. It seems to be the simplest solution to my installation. I understand you need 2 relays to reverse the polarity of the actuators to "lock" and "unlock" the doors, but like you mentioned, I'd like to also have the feature where if I manually lock or unlock my driver door that the others would do the same. Is there a way to implement that to what I'm gonna try without the use of a specialized part?

In the OEM setup, what happens when you manually lock/unlock your driver door that triggers the rest of the doors? Is it beyond the capabilities of basic relays etc. ?

Thank you very much, you got me on the right track here **

The A1 MES kits are really the easiest way to do it:

http://www.a1electric.com/mes.htm
Old 03-11-2016, 04:47 PM   #5
SecondYaris

Drives: 2013 Yaris HB
I am in the process of installing power windows, although it is an aftermarket kit, my 2013 fuse box indicates 30A P/W, I am assuming this is for power windows. I don't recall if there were extra wires or harnesses but, when I install my left side I will check for power and extra wires/harness.

Where did you find the correct power for the power windows? From the door panel or from the fuse box. It just has so many wires, I am hesitant on tampering with it. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated..
SecondYaris is offline   Reply With Quote