Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-07-2019, 06:54 PM   #1
Crown

Drives: 05 Crown Victoria, 14 Yaris
Installing a hitch and towing a trailer... thoughts?

I am sure this topic has been discussed to death, I am inheriting a 2014 Yaris 3 door with 4500 miles from a close relative. I'm coming from not owning anything but 20ft long V8 Crown Victorias/Grand Marquis since my first car as a teen. This Yaris will mostly be used as an efficient commuter vehicle to keep my 50,000 mile toy Crown Vic from doing 15k a year.

I was wondering if it would be reasonable (I've read either yes or no, nothing in between lol) to tow a small trailer capable of holding a gas weed trimmer and lawn mower on the highway. Would it be better to sell the Yaris on CL and just get a small pickup? What is the going rate for these?

Thank you.
Crown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 10:58 PM   #2
bairjo

If you are planning on using a small car to tow trailers...plan on changing your ATF often. ...if you plan on keeping the car very long. Just my opinion. Yea...there will be some fool on here that claims these cars are made for pulling trailers. They are not. Like I said...that's just my opinion. If I was looking to purchase a used Yaris, and I found one that was used for pulling trailers I would scratch it off the list.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:40 AM   #3
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
There are class I hitches available for this car. (I just installed one this past Saturday) The load rating on a class one hitch is 2000lbs trailer weight and 200 lbs tongue weight. Keep in mind the yaris is only rated for approx.1000 lbs of cargo. If you stay under 1000lbs of total trailer weight, I cant see you having much of a problem.

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:39 AM   #4
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
The official weight I've seen around here is 700 lbs but that's only specified for Canada. The US doesn't offer any rating for tow capacity, probably due to some liability or FMVSS issues.

I've towed a Harbor Freight 4' trailer with tires and racecar stuff for years with no issues. Probably isn't more than 250 lbs loaded. That said, I've pulled close to 1k before and it's not something you should do often. This was with the Corolla engine though and I have a manual trans as well with a higher force pressure plate, theoretically giving my drive train more capacity. Any way you slice it, you shouldn't ever exceed the gross vehicle weight rating (GWVR) which is a combination of the vehicle, fuel, passengers, cargo, etc.

The real weak point is the fact that the hitches all mount to the unibody, so you're mechanically limited to what the threaded inserts or weld points can hold.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:26 PM   #5
praivo

Drives: 2000 SCP10, 2001 NCP13
Over here the manual NCP13s are allowed to tow up to 2000 lbs if the trailer has brakes and about a half of that if not, and even the SCP10s are rated for 1000/800 lbs. The automatics are probably a bit more sensitive but <1000 lbs should still be perfectly safe to tow.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:43 PM   #6
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Any way you slice it, you shouldn't ever exceed the gross vehicle weight rating (GWVR) which is a combination of the vehicle, fuel, passengers, cargo, etc.

The real weak point is the fact that the hitches all mount to the unibody, so you're mechanically limited to what the threaded inserts or weld points can hold.
Basically what I was getting at. My 3 door hatch with no back seat/spare/plastic has a gvwr of 1440kg. I know the car is around 1000 kg+/-

For sheer weight, a small trailer can't be any worse on the driveline than say 4 or 5 large adults in the seats? No?!? Only disadvantage I can see is not having the extra weight over the braking wheels for traction purposes.

I think it all depends on what you're towing with a yaris. Few slicks or a lawn mower and a trimmer, like the o.p, or say that new dryer you bought... you'll *probably* be just fine.

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:02 PM   #7
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Look at all the hitch/towing threads that have been amassed on here over the years. A small trailer carrying a bit of lawn equipment; the Yaris will barely know it's there.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:37 PM   #8
tonynf89

Drives: 2007 Yaris 4dr Hatch
I've towed a lot of small trailer loads with my 2007 yaris hatchback, manual transmission with no issues.

Usual load is a Honda Rincon ATV.
tonynf89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:33 AM   #9
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
The official weight I've seen around here is 700 lbs but that's only specified for Canada. The US doesn't offer any rating for tow capacity, probably due to some liability or FMVSS issues.

I've towed a Harbor Freight 4' trailer with tires and racecar stuff for years with no issues. Probably isn't more than 250 lbs loaded. That said, I've pulled close to 1k before and it's not something you should do often. This was with the Corolla engine though and I have a manual trans as well with a higher force pressure plate, theoretically giving my drive train more capacity. Any way you slice it, you shouldn't ever exceed the gross vehicle weight rating (GWVR) which is a combination of the vehicle, fuel, passengers, cargo, etc.

You had a Corolla engine in a Yaris?
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:05 AM   #10
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
You had a Corolla engine in a Yaris?
Have. =) 2ZR swap. Lots of threads in the performance mod section.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote