Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-26-2018, 02:30 PM   #1
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Cooling system flush.....

I got my '09 Yaris in Dec of 2008.

Toyota says its long life anti freeze is good for about 60k miles or so.

However, my Yaris has only about 17k miles on it but it's going on 10 years with the same anti freeze.

So, for convenience and for the same Toyota long life (pink) anti freeze, I took it to the local Toyota dealer for the flush.
It's right down the road from me....

Anyway, they charged me about $150 (+tax).
Is that about the going rate for that sort of thing.... at the dealer at least?
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 02:52 PM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
sounds about right. Although I'm still not convinced they do much else than just drain and re fill. Really that is all that is needed.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:03 PM   #3
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
They do do something. I had mine done a number of years ago. I got the car home and was working under the hood when I spotted something sitting on the plastic underbody panel. Took it back to the dealer to question them and it turned out to be a connector for the flush equipment.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2018, 06:03 PM   #4
RedRide

FWIW.... when I got my car home, I took a good look under the hood and noticed some water below the radiator area.
It seemed like just plain water and not anti freeze.
So, they must have done something other than just drain and refill.

BTW, I still got the original battery and it shows no signs of failing yet. :)
Old 04-26-2018, 06:11 PM   #5
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
They do do something. I had mine done a number of years ago. I got the car home and was working under the hood when I spotted something sitting on the plastic underbody panel. Took it back to the dealer to question them and it turned out to be a connector for the flush equipment.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
good to know, seems like a somewhat reasonable price if they have the machinery. Something that can easily be done by yourself but does take some time
Old 04-26-2018, 08:39 PM   #6
sherlockholmes

Drives: Yaris 09
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
I got my '09 Yaris in Dec of 2008.

However, my Yaris has only about 17k miles on it
I'm sorry, but how did you manage to drive JUST 17k miles in 9 years? secondary car?
sherlockholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:33 PM   #7
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
i would think they would just drain and fill. there is no reason to "flush" the system. coolant is like $45 for the gallon. 1 hour of shop time is $135 in my area. shop supplies is usually around $15.
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:50 PM   #8
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Generally a coolant flush these days is actually a "coolant exchange". Basically they plumb a machine in that pushes new coolant in, and recovers the old stuff. It's all that is required. The water underhood is from them washing any spilled coolant away.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:47 AM   #9
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
I don't really like using flush machines on my cars. The machines have to pressurize the system to force the t-stat to open so the coolant will flow, seems like it's hard on the system. I've seen hoses blow off during this operation, even when the pressure is 3psi on the machine.
I thinks its safe to say that with todays long life coolant and being a sealed system, you can wait for a coolant change till you need a water pump or a t-stat change. You can buy those coolant PH test strips to test the current status of your coolant.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:00 PM   #10
RedRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlockholmes View Post
I'm sorry, but how did you manage to drive JUST 17k miles in 9 years? secondary car?
Good question .

I got my year just to commute to my job... 40 miles round trip... in Nov of '08.
I wanted to save mileage on my other car, (an '02 Celia - manual) that had about 90k miles on it.

However, shortly afterwords, I got forced into early retirement.
So, I no longer needed a commuting car,.
Long story short, I sold my Celica for a great price and kept the yaris as it's a very practical car to use for retirement.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:07 PM   #11
Frank Necrosis

Drives: 2012 Yaris L MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDigby View Post
i would think they would just drain and fill. there is no reason to "flush" the system. coolant is like $45 for the gallon. 1 hour of shop time is $135 in my area. shop supplies is usually around $15.
I did a drain and fill. Bought the Toyota coolant on Amazon for somewhere around $25 a gallon.
Frank Necrosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:52 PM   #12
Billiam

Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
I did 3 drain and fills over the course of a week or so with Valvoline Asian pink formula with Zerex. A little over $30 for 3 premixed gallons. OTC at Walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline...&wl13=&veh=sem
Old 05-02-2018, 03:19 PM   #13
BennyLava

Drives: 1987 Silverado
Its pretty easy to get most of the coolant out. Open the valve on the back of the engine, also drain the radiator. You may be surprised how much comes out of the valve on the engine. It just drains and drains. Run the new coolant for 3 months, then change again. Maybe do this at the beginning of winter so you're circulating a lot through the heater core? Not sure if it gets circulated through there when you're not running the heater. Anyway now you've got nearly all new coolant, that you can run for what... 80k miles on the super long life?
BennyLava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:01 AM   #14
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
Any picture of the valve on the back of the engine please? I am not able to find any on my 2SZFE. But I guess there must be some as I was able to drain only about 2 liters via the peg on the radiator - there should be twice as much...
komichal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:32 AM   #15
scylla

Drives: 2015 Yaris L
Quote:
Originally Posted by komichal View Post
Any picture of the valve on the back of the engine please? I am not able to find any on my 2SZFE. But I guess there must be some as I was able to drain only about 2 liters via the peg on the radiator - there should be twice as much...
About half way down is a picture of the drain. Hopefully it is on your engine too.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52876
scylla is offline   Reply With Quote