Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-25-2009, 02:14 AM   #1
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Tanabe Medalion Touring installed

Today I installed my new Tanabe Medalion Touring exhaust. Beautiful piece, thanks Garm! Afterwards I took it for a ride, to break it in

Great sound, a little louder inside than I expected, but I don't think it will be bothersome I'm driving to a baby shower close to LA in 3 weeks (from San Jose), we'll see if my passengers complain after a 6 hour trip

I won't go through the steps, since that has been documented in much better detail already, but I'll just say that I didn't take it out of the bag until it was mounted in place. Didn't want to take any chances with fingerprints, so once it was up, I cut the plastic bag and removed. I didn't need a screwdriver to remove the rubber rings, some WD-40 made them come off easily using only my fingers.

fmicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:24 AM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u

Thanks for some of the best pics yet of the exhaust I've always been eyeing. Please keep post updated with your impressions.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:26 AM   #3
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
looks great! this is the exhaust i've been most seriously looking at. however, i'm lowered on df210's and i'm worried about scraping the tip of a brand-new exhaust on speedbumps in the many apartment complexes i drive through daily. how much clearance do you have from the tip to the ground? i figure i've got a couple inches less than that.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:46 PM   #4
fmicle

I got 8 inches from the tip of the pipe and 7 1/4 inches from the muffler to the ground. Currently I am a bit higher than stock (less than half an inch) because of my 16" wheels.

I am looking at getting either the Tanabe NF210 or the TRD springs with Tokico or TRD shocks, so I won't lower mine too much. The Tanabe+Tokico setup would save me about $100 over the TRD combo, but I would rather have an even drop front and back. That's on the list for next month.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:31 PM   #5
fmicle

After having the Medalion Touring for about 3 weeks, I have a little more feedback for those interested in performance gains, etc.

My wife and I drive to LA once or twice a year to visit her sister, so I've taken the Yaris on most of these trips over the past 3 years. Since it's a stick shift, after a couple of trips I learned the spots where I needed to down shift from 5th into 4th along the way. Mostly over the Pacheco Pass (between Gilroy and Central Valley for those familiar with the area) and the Grapevine (between Central Valley and the LA basin).

The car is usually quite loaded so the conditions are pretty much similar for all trips, therefore assuring a fair comparison.

My biggest surprise was coming back last night, where I was able to climb the Pacheco Pass entirely in the 5th gear at speeds varying from about 58 mph to 70 mph. Previously, I would have to down shift into 4th at least twice before I got to the top. I was quite impressed, since I never took the car to a dyno and this was the most obvious thing for me to confirm that the car has indeed more power than stock. Now, I wouldn't credit that whole gain to the exhaust alone, but I'm sure it has its fair share. I also have an AEM CAI, the DC Sports header, besides the Tanabe Medalion Touring. There is no doubt in my mind that eliminating the restricted air flow has given me more power, no matter how many people tell me they don't believe the dyno results.

And as an added bonus, I think the exhaust slightly improved my gas mileage as well. I haven't done the calculations yet on the return trip, but I think I'll be close to 40 mpg on the return tank - I still got 3 lines left after 300+ miles

I also felt improved acceleration at higher speeds in 5th gear or 4th gear; with my new setup I can actually feel the car accelerating from say 70 mph to 80 mph as opposed to stock, when it felt like forever...

Still thinking about the Blitz S/C kit... the car is more and more fun to drive with every mod
Old 12-18-2009, 05:18 PM   #6
yarr_is

Drives: yaris
great feedback. That's how it is man... the more you add on your car. You more you'll keep wanting! You'll get power hungry... and that's good at some point. MOAR POWAH!
yarr_is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:36 PM   #7
jaytown

Drives: Yaris
Nice install and great pictures. Does the muffler tip stick out past the bumper, when looking down? Anyone with sound clips?
jaytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:47 PM   #8
lowsushi
Akiba Otaku

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5dr
Send a message via AIM to lowsushi Send a message via Yahoo to lowsushi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIO6Nn0wcAc

there is a sound clip for ya

PS3 Trophies
lowsushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:38 AM   #9
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytown View Post
Nice install and great pictures. Does the muffler tip stick out past the bumper, when looking down? Anyone with sound clips?
On the 3-door LB, it sticks out past the bumper a little bit. On the 5-door LB it doesn't.
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:51 PM   #10
jaytown

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
On the 3-door LB, it sticks out past the bumper a little bit. On the 5-door LB it doesn't.
Perfect... Thanks for the info. I will order one as soon as I get my tax return $$$$.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:59 PM   #11
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
ha, that's my YouTube clip. One of my first mods, loved that exhaust.

Medalion Touring and Concept G are in stock
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:42 PM   #12
jaytown

i don't know what to get first the exhaust or the wheels.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:58 PM   #13
DARK AGE 53

Drives: 2009 Yaris Onyx
that's the exhaust I want.
DARK AGE 53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:49 PM   #14
r3b3l

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3dr liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
I have the 3dr (2010) and mine does not stick out past the bumper. Also to be completely honest my afe intake is louder than the exhaust at take off. Noise isnt a problem her unless I "get on it" real hard when accelerating. When coasting at speed the intake and exhaust blend to make a great clean sound.

http://microimage.ning.com/profile/ErikWilson
r3b3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:33 PM   #15
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
Thanks for the correction. I never did get to try the Medalion Touring on my '07 3-door LB and was going by what Tanabe told me.
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:34 PM   #16
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
is the concept-g substantially louder than the medallion? i got the concept-g for christmas and haven't yet installed(too cold), but i'm kind-of worried about p*ssing-off the neighbors! they advertise both under 93 decibles, but i don't know what that means? actually, i don't drive the car very hard - i was just looking for something a little more aggressive looking with a little more 'attitude' under light throttle.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote