Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-30-2023, 07:14 AM   #1
Brian B

Drives: 2008 4-door sedan, 180k miles
rear axle beam replace, sedan 4 dr 5 spd, USA

Hi-

Just joined this group. Below is a posting I put on the Facebook Yaris site and one person responded saying it was doable for him. Can anyone please assist with thoughts and suggestions for this? I might go ahead and do it myself. Thanks, Brian

Hi -In the US, I have a 2008 4-dr Yaris, 5 spd manual, 180,000 miles. Original owner. Great car and want to keep it on the road for a long time. The rear axle beam is rusted and cracked on the left and must be replaced. I have looked at an online version of the shop manual, some Youtube videos of limited usefulness, and a couple other WWW sources for info on how to replace it, possibly, myself. It seems straightforward enough. Remove bolts on beam bushings, remove bolts on shocks, and disconnect brake lines (drum brakes), handbrake cables, and ABS wires. BUT, it seems that a possible work around for the brake line is to leave it attached (which I would like to do, since I have no experience with hydraulic brakes/bleeding them etc) and maybe Dremel the brake line connectors which sit atop the axle beam arms and re-attach in a secure manner somehow on the new axle beam. There is a Youtube video in Spanish where the gentleman evidently does that. If any of this is making sense and someone can assist, please let me know. I can provide pics if need be. Also, there seems to be a matter of possibly aligning the car and checking camber on the rear wheels if needed, the online shop manual (at least I think) saying if rear wheel camber adjustment is needed, replace suspension parts. Kind of hoping someone will say just take of the old axle beam and put the new one on and go on up the road, but I will listen to wisdom and safe ideas.
Brian B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 11:09 AM   #2
Billiam

Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
If you have some mechanical inclination it's certainly a DIY job. I did not disconnect the rear brake lines. I simply laid the whole hub assembles on short plastic buckets turned upside down.

https://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=63929

Last edited by Billiam; 11-17-2023 at 05:29 AM.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 07:44 PM   #3
Brian B

Thanks Billiam! I have meanwhile caved and take it in Thursday for a mechanic to work on. This kinda of annoys me, sometimes, since he is a fine mechanic but often finds other things that need repair, or so I am told, and I worry that swapping the part out will involve recommended shock, coil spring, brake shoe, wheel bearing, replacement when all I really want and might just need is the rusty axle gotten rid of. I'll see. Here is another video, in Spanish but on Youtube you can get translated English subtitles, which might help some axle swapper down the line. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJsTDwccdnc
Old 11-02-2023, 10:40 AM   #4
Billiam

Keep us updated. Took my buddy and I a couple of hours. Really wasn't too bad. I watched a couple of videos on tricks to separate the rear wheel bearings from the axle. That was helpful

Last edited by Billiam; 11-02-2023 at 01:04 PM.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 09:23 AM   #5
Brian B

Will keep you updated. Vehicle is at the shop. I sourced a new axle ($$$$) and the mechanic said it would be easier with a used one b/c the bearings are impossible/a PITA to get off the rusted part. Oh well. When it is done, I will post the results in the spirit of maybe helping others who need this done to their vehicle.
Old 11-04-2023, 08:20 PM   #6
Billiam

Removing the rear bearings aren't easy if they have never been off. However, there are some tricks that allow for removal without much drama.

Back in the spring of last year I was unable to locate a new one. In fact, my local dealer said there was a national back order and a wait that could be measured in months. That situation may have changed.

As for a used axle? I hope your mechanic is very careful. The first 4 that I found were in just as bad a shape as mine. Thankfully a local salvage yard was able to locate a Scion xD axle.

The Yaris, Prius C and Scion xD use the same axle if that helps the search.
Old 11-05-2023, 07:21 AM   #7
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
Here's the trick to getting the wheel bearings out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxB9xCZ-w5Q&t=604s
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 12:35 PM   #8
Billiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-x-fire View Post
Here's the trick to getting the wheel bearings out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxB9xCZ-w5Q&t=604s

This is the technique I used and it works.
Old 11-06-2023, 06:06 AM   #9
Calrenman

Drives: 2015 Toyota Yaris LE Hatchie
Great information about the rear axle cross reference!

Thank you for putting that info out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Removing the rear bearings aren't easy if they have never been off. However, there are some tricks that allow for removal without much drama.

Back in the spring of last year I was unable to locate a new one. In fact, my local dealer said there was a national back order and a wait that could be measured in months. That situation may have changed.

As for a used axle? I hope your mechanic is very careful. The first 4 that I found were in just as bad a shape as mine. Thankfully a local salvage yard was able to locate a Scion xD axle.

The Yaris, Prius C and Scion xD use the same axle if that helps the search.
Calrenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 06:20 AM   #10
Calrenman

Drives: 2015 Toyota Yaris LE Hatchie
Did you do it or have the mechanic work on it?

How did it work out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
Hi-

Just joined this group. Below is a posting I put on the Facebook Yaris site and one person responded saying it was doable for him. Can anyone please assist with thoughts and suggestions for this? I might go ahead and do it myself. Thanks, Brian

Hi -In the US, I have a 2008 4-dr Yaris, 5 spd manual, 180,000 miles. Original owner. Great car and want to keep it on the road for a long time. The rear axle beam is rusted and cracked on the left and must be replaced. I have looked at an online version of the shop manual, some Youtube videos of limited usefulness, and a couple other WWW sources for info on how to replace it, possibly, myself. It seems straightforward enough. Remove bolts on beam bushings, remove bolts on shocks, and disconnect brake lines (drum brakes), handbrake cables, and ABS wires. BUT, it seems that a possible work around for the brake line is to leave it attached (which I would like to do, since I have no experience with hydraulic brakes/bleeding them etc) and maybe Dremel the brake line connectors which sit atop the axle beam arms and re-attach in a secure manner somehow on the new axle beam. There is a Youtube video in Spanish where the gentleman evidently does that. If any of this is making sense and someone can assist, please let me know. I can provide pics if need be. Also, there seems to be a matter of possibly aligning the car and checking camber on the rear wheels if needed, the online shop manual (at least I think) saying if rear wheel camber adjustment is needed, replace suspension parts. Kind of hoping someone will say just take of the old axle beam and put the new one on and go on up the road, but I will listen to wisdom and safe ideas.
Calrenman is offline   Reply With Quote