Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 07-10-2009, 01:17 PM   #19
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
A must have mod.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:42 PM   #20
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAR1S View Post
thnks!

can you install the bar with the car on the ground or does it have to be jacked up to do it?
I would like to know this also.
I assume it can but, just how difficult would it be?
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:58 PM   #21
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
I would like to know this also.
I assume it can but, just how difficult would it be?
Doesn't need to be jacked up, but you will need to support the shock/shock mount just a bit so you can get the bolt through once you remove the one that's there. I used the Yaris' hydro jack to push the shock up just a bit but there are other ways to do it.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:16 PM   #22
YellowJolt

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr LB
Send a message via AIM to YellowJolt
Thanks for all the feedback. I think I'd like to stick to the TRD swaybar, but thank you for the offers. I figured you could install it while the car is on the ground, I did the install with my old '85 Grand Prix (solid axle with arms) in the driveway.
YellowJolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:44 PM   #23
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
$151.20 + tax vs. $134.95 to your door, no tax
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:55 PM   #24
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

Drives: 07 liftback
#1 upgrade for the $$
Bob Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:41 PM   #25
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Every Yaris should have a rear anti-sway bar. It should be the law. Improved driveability, safety and fun-factor all with no down-side.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:44 PM   #26
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
"yes"
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:50 AM   #27
YellowJolt

Okay, I bought the TRD bar from my local dealer, and installed it in my driveway in about 20 minutes. The mounting points are viewable if you look under the rear bumper. A few pointers: First, it's best if you park on a level surface. Then, do not remove the lower shock mount bolts all the way, leave them in with a couple threads of the end sticking out of the lower shock mount. This way you can mock the bar into position and when you get the mounting holes lined up, shove the lower shock bolt home through the hole, and start the nut. Repeat on the opposite side. Once you get the bar hung by the shock bolts on both sides, you can rotate the bar up and slip the bolts through the secondary mounting points. Torque it all down, take it for a ride and you are done!

Like I said, I did it all on the ground in my driveway. The difference in handling was immediately recognizable and this was definitely a worthwhile upgrade. Confidence in sharp, corrective maneuvers is increased, and going around curves is now something quite fun. As others have said, the Yaris should have come this way from the factory. Next step for me is to pump up the air pressure on the tires, this should increase some fuel mileage and stiffen up the ride a bit, too.

Scott
Old 07-13-2009, 09:51 AM   #28
scape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
not to thread jack, but i'm wondering which I should get-- 19mm or 23mm. i don't plan on getting any wider of tires (195/55 series on 15) and am thinking 23mm might end up as too much
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:32 AM   #29
YellowJolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by scape View Post
not to thread jack, but i'm wondering which I should get-- 19mm or 23mm. i don't plan on getting any wider of tires (195/55 series on 15) and am thinking 23mm might end up as too much
I think I'd recommend the 19mm rear bar, considering you are remaining relatively stock (as I am). The 19mm bar seems to be engineered to complement the stock suspension system and really tightens up the overall handling characteristics of the car. Body roll is slowed (and also limited) to an incremental amount and it's very predictable in turns. I chose the TRD unit but it appears there is also a very reasonably priced aftermarket 19mm rear bar out there (read through this thread). I want to add that my car is equipped with the OEM 15" alloys, and your results may be a bit different with the higher unsprung weight of 15" steelies or smaller 14" steelies.

Scott

Last edited by YellowJolt; 07-13-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:07 AM   #30
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
TRD Anti-Sway Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmf123kmf View Post
Thanks for the info! When I finally get my Yaris I'll take a look under the car and see if it seems feasible for me.
Don't be timid. I installed mine on the driveway in 20 minutes (including collecting the tools and clean-up afterward. A couple spanners is adequate. A socket set and two spanners even faster. You likely won't even need to lift the car unless you're fat like me. I didn't even remove the wheels although it would have been slightly easier if I had.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote