Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-16-2009, 03:36 AM   #1
unclenefeesa
Da Uncle

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Question Ringing noise from engine compartment !

Hi All,

I can hear a ringing noise coming from the engine compartment. it is clearly evident when the windows are closed and the engine is mostly around 2000 rpm, both when stationary and moving. over 2500 rpm the engine becomes louder than the sound.

I went to the dealership last winter and they said that it shouldn't bother me and I should expect to hear different noises since this is not a luxury car. I agree about that it is not a luxury car and that it is not as silent as one, but it is deeply annoying when you have a new car with weird noises from the engine.

The sound is like a small bell, or a loose metal ring around something. I can't pinpoint where it comes from but feels like from the passenger side of the engine.

has anyone encountered this issue before or might know what it is?

Last edited by unclenefeesa; 11-17-2009 at 09:49 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
unclenefeesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:51 AM   #2
unclenefeesa
Da Uncle

Unhappy Any one ??

I am all alone in the world of ringing Yaris engines
Old 11-17-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Dealers get complaints about unusual noises all the time. They view such complaints as nuisences. They have stock answers for people like you such as "They all do that". etc (VW dealers use "What do you think youre driving...a Toyota?")
Thats not to say there isnt a problem! Youll have to figger it out yourself. Put the car up in the air on four jackstands so the wheels are off the ground. Start the engine and put it in gear. Rev it until the car makes the noise. Now crawl around under it (carefull now!) and try to pinpoint it. Thats all I got.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:01 AM   #4
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
Sounds like a heat shield that may be rattling to me-but, just a guess. Don't let the dealership tell you to expect this-they're full of BS in my opinion. Take the service writer for a ride to hear it or get them to let you drive a smilar Yaris on their lot to see if what you are hearing is there in all of them. When I had the evaporator replaced in my Yaris a few months back the mechanic was worried he had put the dash back together till he compared it to a new one and found they were all like what he thought was incorrect. But, I have never had a ringing under the hood and I'd get to the bottom of it before warranty is up. You might try and have someone hold the accelerator down to where it happens while you have the hood up and listen. Good Luck
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:17 AM   #5
unclenefeesa
Da Uncle

Thanks All,

The sound is audible whether the car is in gear or not.
I thought it might be a heat shield for the exhaust but I can hear teh ratelling of those when i go over small bumps or pins (cats eyes) in the road.

When I took it to the dealer last time, I did get a mechanic in the car with me and he could hear it before we left the garage. I also told them about the other rattle (exhaust heat shield) that is coming from under the car which they couldn't identify. I later out the car on a large Jack (at a car wash) and figured out the exhaust shield rattling myself since I knew from where about it is coming from.

I still have 500 Km till next service. I will try to figure it out by then or I will have to live with it.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:54 AM   #6
AND189
Banned

Drives: 2
yes i have the same thing my car is just over one year @ 44300km and i started hearing it at about 35000
AND189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:20 AM   #7
unclenefeesa
Da Uncle

My car isn't even over 9000 KM, but it is just over 1 year old. Its a 2008 Sedan.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:39 AM   #8
AND189
Banned

Drives: 2
realy mine is a 2008 HB
AND189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:15 PM   #9
carlosh

Drives: Yaris Sedan 2005 Motor 1NZFE
Send a message via MSN to carlosh Send a message via Yahoo to carlosh
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclenefeesa View Post
Hi All,

I can hear a ringing noise coming from the engine compartment. it is clearly evident when the windows are closed and the engine is mostly around 2000 rpm, both when stationary and moving. over 2500 rpm the engine becomes louder than the sound.

I went to the dealership last winter and they said that it shouldn't bother me and I should expect to hear different noises since this is not a luxury car. I agree about that it is not a luxury car and that it is not as silent as one, but it is deeply annoying when you have a new car with weird noises from the engine.

The sound is like a small bell, or a loose metal ring around something. I can't pinpoint where it comes from but feels like from the passenger side of the engine.

has anyone encountered this issue before or might know what it is?
I have the same noise at 2500 rpms. after 2500 rpm the noise disappear.
I suspect a fuel coil injector is not working well.
How I can test it?
carlosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:39 PM   #10
woof

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatch/Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclenefeesa View Post
Hi All,

I was told almost the same thing by a little smartass service writer when I complained about something similar. The tragedy is management backs them up with apologies, excuses, and no fixes.

I have a problem with a metallic "ping" that happens after I lift the brake pedal. I've never heard anything like it in my life and it's hard to tell where it's coming from. The ping started around 40K miles.
woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:36 PM   #11
CueBall
Ruler of the free world

Drives: 09 Yaris 2D HB
This is an old thread, but that's why there is a search feature, right?
Anyway, I think I have the same sound described here. just started noticeing it about two months ago. Sounds kinda like a grinding wheel on a spring, or a ring loose on a pipe, as described by the OP. It is very faint and almost cant hear it when moving. it 'rings' for about 2-3 seconds then goes away, then randomly 'rings' again. It has made the sound while moving, but mostly I hear it while parked in the driveway running in the morning. I am never outside the vehicle when I hear it, so it sounds like it comes from the dash, behind the steering wheel to me. Just wondering if the OP, or anyone else, has figured out what this is....
CueBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:02 PM   #12
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
<engineer_rant>
The reality of putting a dynamic system like an automobile into motion is that there will be resonant frequencies present for all components. Engineers do what they can to isolate and reduce them, but it's inevitable. One of the reasons that a $50k car costs what it does, is the money sunk into development and re-engineering. Making physical parts isn't cheap. Altering a $120k plastic mold die to compensate for harmonic vibration isn't cheap. Using materials that mate silently and resist squeaking/pinging/popping when flexing or vibrating isn't cheap. The Yaris does an admiral job of being relatively quiet for a sub $13k econobox. Expecting fit and finish on par with a luxury/exotic car is expecting more than the pricetag entitles you to.
</engineer_rant>
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:55 PM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I think the noise is the water pump pulley singing. Rather than being a cast pulley, it is pressed sheet metal "bell". I really notice that particular noise on Crashy, since her front end is so open.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:24 AM   #14
unclenefeesa
Da Uncle

Hi CueBall,

I haven't found out what it is and it is still there. I drove a relative's Yaris and it doesn't have that noise. Eitherway, since nothing has malfunctioned so far, it is just a ringing that I have to ignore. I just put on the radio. If you figure it out, let me know.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:28 AM   #15
unclenefeesa
Da Uncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
<engineer_rant>
The reality of putting a dynamic system like an automobile into motion is that there will be resonant frequencies present for all components. Engineers do what they can to isolate and reduce them, but it's inevitable. One of the reasons that a $50k car costs what it does, is the money sunk into development and re-engineering. Making physical parts isn't cheap. Altering a $120k plastic mold die to compensate for harmonic vibration isn't cheap. Using materials that mate silently and resist squeaking/pinging/popping when flexing or vibrating isn't cheap. The Yaris does an admiral job of being relatively quiet for a sub $13k econobox. Expecting fit and finish on par with a luxury/exotic car is expecting more than the pricetag entitles you to.
</engineer_rant>
Although I agree with you, why is it just my car. If many yaris's have it, then it is normal. agree?
Old 12-05-2011, 08:10 AM   #16
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
My car does occasionally make some odd rattles/buzzes at lower RPMs, but because I don't have a tachometer, I can't pin down exactly when they happen. It could also be a manufacturing consistency issue, i.e. some batches of the pulleys make that noise but others don't, due to material thickness, bolt torque, material density, etc.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #17
CueBall
Ruler of the free world

Drives: 09 Yaris 2D HB
Just for the record...
I do not feel it is the pulley...
It did not make this noise a year ago...
If it were some plastic component (glove box lid, etc.) i would accept the "it's a cheap car" stance. If it is metal shearing, or a loose bracket, etc. this is not acceptable. Since I cannot pinpoint the sound either, I too will live with it hoping nothing malfunctions.
Just looking here to stem the issue if this is a malfunction.
Thanks for everyones input. :)
CueBall is offline   Reply With Quote