Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-30-2018, 07:25 PM   #1
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
2019 Corolla Hatchback

What do you think?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/revi...ge=AAwx56K|124
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:35 PM   #2
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Initial impressions:
- Gotta buy it in black to hide/blend that fish-face (iA inspired?) front styling.
- Overall nice styling & body proportions - minus the fish-face & cheesy fake exhaust vents.
- Thank goodness the big, goofy rally type spoiler is NOT standard on the XSE, but instead a OEM dealership option accessory.
- Wish they would have stuck with 17" wheels & a more practical tires for the real world on XSE. 18" is a bit cartoony big, and 16" (SE) is a bit too small.
- CVT w/launch gear has been getting good buzz. It is said to be quick off the line & feels like a regular automatic to drive.
- Nice balance between horsepower & likely fuel-economy (& it is rated better than the iM for MPG).
- Will probably feel a bit low to the ground for my tastes now.
- Not really a fan of the two-tone seats (XSE?), but I hear they are awesomely comfortable & adjustable.
- I would never use most of the 'tech features' that are in this car, so they are just dead weight & added expense for nothing (for me).

-

Last edited by Kalispel; 05-01-2018 at 09:11 PM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 09:20 PM   #3
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
reminds me of the focus rs hot hatch
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:50 AM   #4
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Hard to believe that they had more power from less engine 15 years ago in my matrix xrs. And more space/versatility.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:26 PM   #5
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherdrunk View Post
reminds me of the focus rs hot hatch
Except in the power train dept. 250 hp AWD vs 168 hp FWD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
Hard to believe that they had more power from less engine 15 years ago in my matrix xrs. And more space/versatility.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:41 PM   #6
atomic_hoji

Drives: 2018 Yaris SE 5MT
I think with a little tweaking it'll be a great hot hatch... probably give the Subaru STI, Civic Type R, VW Golf R, Ford Focus RS etc.. a good run.
https://www.toyotaracing.com/article...a-hatchba.html

More realistically, I didn't care for the Corolla iM - I did test drive it, and it was smooth and handled alright, but I couldn't stand the seating and visibility. I'm really curious to try the Corolla hatchback and see if it's better overall with the new platform; and the numbers on the new generation Toyota TNGA engines look amazing - really want to know how that 2.0L pulls a 3000# hatch around.

-- Adam
atomic_hoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:12 PM   #7
Kalispel

Except for the fog-lights possibly, the XSE trim has nothing (at least for me) to make it an attractive buy for the $3000+ or so more it costs. You could take the $$$ saved with the SE & buy some nice 17" wheels & tires that were better for the car, tint the windows with premium-grade film, etc. & still come out ahead. Plus, you wouldn't have that silver metallic trim around the stupid fish-face front, so it would blend even better in black.

The more I think about all the stupid crap they are putting into cars today, the more I appreciate my current car, lol.

-
Old 05-02-2018, 05:58 AM   #8
Captain Yaris

Drives: 2016 Yaris 3 Dr Super White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
Except for the fog-lights possibly, the XSE trim has nothing (at least for me) to make it an attractive buy for the $3000+ or so more it costs. You could take the $$$ saved with the SE & buy some nice 17" wheels & tires that were better for the car, tint the windows with premium-grade film, etc. & still come out ahead. Plus, you wouldn't have that silver metallic trim around the stupid fish-face front, so it would blend even better in black.

The more I think about all the stupid crap they are putting into cars today, the more I appreciate my current car, lol.

-
Spot on my friend! From time to time I think about getting an BMW M2, then I remind myself that it has synthetic audio of the engine noise piped through the speakers. Who on God’s green Earth thought that up?!
Captain Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:57 PM   #9
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Yaris View Post
...synthetic audio of the engine noise piped through the speakers. Who on God’s green Earth thought that up?!
I posted about that feature on Wheelwell. I am not a fan, but you'd be surprised at how many people are. Some folks claimed hypocrisy by drawing comparisons to music, saying that most of what we listen to today is synthetic and not made by instruments. Was an interesting argument, but I'm still not a fan of artificial engine noise. For the same reason, I'm probably not going to install the exhaust tip I just bought from Kimona. Didn't realize it had baffling that changes the sound until it was too late.

Apologies, don't mean to thread jack.

On Wheelwell
Old 05-02-2018, 01:30 PM   #10
kimona
Super Moderator

"Synthetic audio" of the engine noise piped through the car's speakers? Faking the engine noise. That just seems weird to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
For the same reason, I'm probably not going to install the exhaust tip I just bought from Kimona. Didn't realize it had baffling that changes the sound until it was too late.
BTW, the original tailpipe extends almost to the very end of the exhaust tip. So, if you don't cut the tailpipe back, there will be no perceptible change in exhaust tone; it will simply be a cosmetic mod. Try it, you'll like it.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:59 PM   #11
Runethecursed

Drives: 2009 Yaris S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
Initial impressions:
- Thank goodness the big, goofy rally type spoiler is NOT standard on the XSE, but instead a OEM dealership option accessory.
-
.... I like the spoiler...
Runethecursed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:23 PM   #12
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
"Synthetic audio" of the engine noise piped through the car's speakers? Faking the engine noise. That just seems weird to me.

BTW, the original tailpipe extends almost to the very end of the exhaust tip. So, if you don't cut the tailpipe back, there will be no perceptible change in exhaust tone; it will simply be a cosmetic mod. Try it, you'll like it.
Oh, I see. That makes sense. In that case, I'll def try it; thanks again!

On Wheelwell
Old 05-02-2018, 02:40 PM   #13
kimona
Super Moderator

The car is certainly not beautiful, but quite acceptable compared to Toyota's other wicked ugly offerings. But, how about a more basic trim level L or LE? That would interest me more.

BTW, I don't care for those big screens sitting high on the dash.... as if a last minute add-on. Started with Mazda and seems to be catching on. Yuk!
Old 05-02-2018, 02:45 PM   #14
Runethecursed

Im amazed at all the tech you can get for cheap.
Coming from a top of the line crown victoria in 2007 for highschool and eventually moving to my SUV I look at these new subcompacts and they have things like bluetooth, adaptive cruise control and a rear view camera!

Hell and in some Yaris' the rear seats are slide-able.... that is SO cool..

Id buy this. Throw on some sticky rubber in 17s and black the rims and chrome and ane exhaust... :D I probably will next year if I can get a buyer for my own yaris currently and get them to sell it to me for less than 27 out the door. by next year my saab will be paid off and honestly.. the new engine makes me happy. (the 1nz is nice but in stock form its undertuned)
Old 05-02-2018, 09:26 PM   #15
Kalispel

While I think the new engine & innovative CVT w/launch-gear drivetrain is very interesting and cool on the 2019 Corolla hatch, I just can't get past those bizarre headlights & iA-derived fish-face front styling, OR the super-tacky, fake dual exhaust chrome ports in the rear. Perhaps they will get it right with the mid-cycle refresh in model year 2022. Until then, there is the new TNGA Corolla sedan making it debut in model year 2020 (hopefully not a sedan clone of the hatchback), and new TNGA Yaris in model year 2021 (assuming it isn't canned in the U.S. market by then, or all Mazda2 rebadges). I guess it is a good thing that I like my current car. At this rate, I will be driving it a good while more.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:12 AM   #16
BennyLava

Drives: 1987 Silverado
Mileage vs Yaris?
BennyLava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 01:16 AM   #17
Runethecursed

Yet to be released my guess is low to mid 30s, more for the cvt.. less with the manual, cause... manual
Old 05-03-2018, 06:48 PM   #18
Kalispel

Almost all the pics out there are that awful blue color. Here are some of the white XSE.