Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-26-2018, 09:47 PM   #1
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Paint Booth for Full Respray - Video of booth added...

I've started the booth in my garage. Hoping to be done by mid-week. I bought 2 20" box fans and 6 furnace filters. Next is to procure lighting. I'm hoping to pick up used fluorescent fixtures and have a lead on a few 48" ones.

I built the frame so that it could be easily disassembled and stored. Each wall is screwed and glued with construction adhesive and each wall is detachable. I used strapping for cost savings. It's actually very solid. Once done, the entire thing will be covered in heavy poly sheeting and sealed with Tuck Tape.

Approximate dimensions of the booth are 19'(L) x 12'(W) x 7'(H). There is decent room all around but I wouldn't want to try painting a car much bigger in there.

I am leaning toward a negative pressure set up. I think that with the two fans and 6 filters, I should be able to evacuate the fumes/overspray quite quickly. I am going to rig up cups for the back of the fan motors to eliminate airborne material from going through the motor. However, I will probably experiment with a positive pressure system before making a final decision.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 06-19-2018 at 10:41 PM.
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 10:24 PM   #2
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
For a canopy tent setup spray booth my friend and I did. I cut up the box that the air mover fan came in and put filters all around. and vented the air out. Looking forward to see what you make. Jealous of the spacious room.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 10:51 PM   #3
Runethecursed

Drives: 2009 Yaris S
From watching certain youtubers on positive ventilation, youd want the fans to have an after filter to catch stuff and even then... Ive seen better results with just a negative vent set up as the positive air tends to blow particulate on the paint.
Runethecursed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 03:26 AM   #4
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
Nice. Can't wait to see your results. I may have to do this to my car sooner or later with all the dents and scratches. The clear coat is coming off around a dent/scrape under the petrol cap.
Old 05-27-2018, 06:48 AM   #5
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezhacker1 View Post
For a canopy tent setup spray booth my friend and I did. I cut up the box that the air mover fan came in and put filters all around. and vented the air out. Looking forward to see what you make. Jealous of the spacious room.
Since I've never done this before, I'm really interested in your experience. Would you mind sharing more details such as what type of fan(s) you used, positive pressure system or negative, type of filter, how well the tent evacuated the paint mist etc. The more details/observations, the better, if you're willing. Thanks!

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 05-27-2018, 07:08 AM   #6
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runethecursed View Post
From watching certain youtubers on positive ventilation, youd want the fans to have an after filter to catch stuff and even then... Ive seen better results with just a negative vent set up as the positive air tends to blow particulate on the paint.
My main concern is evacuating the paint fumes/mist. The thought of being in a room that is full of toxic and potentially explosive fumes makes me nervous. I just feel that a negative pressure system will get the stuff out of there quicker. My theory is that the higher the concentration of paint vapours to O2, the higher the risks associated. I have two box fans and when I'm done, basically 1/4 the back wall will be a filter. I also have 2 pieces of 32" x 45" furnace hammock filter and will likely use it to cover the 6 filters for added filtration. That's 20 square feet of filtered intake and about 6 square feet of exhaust. I will play with the configuration until I get the best flow rate with maximum air removal and an acceptable pressure - aka not too much suction on the walls. Since I'm doing a base coat/clear coat, a few small dust particles are a minor concern. I will likely be wet sanding and polishing the clear afterwards anyway.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 05-27-2018 at 07:26 AM.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:17 AM   #7
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoidberg444 View Post
Nice. Can't wait to see your results. I may have to do this to my car sooner or later with all the dents and scratches. The clear coat is coming off around a dent/scrape under the petrol cap.
Haha, well it's definitely an experiment. I'll try to control the variables that I can (sealing, ventilation, cleanliness, applying what I'm learning about painting etc) and those which I can't (skill, experience), I'll just have to hope for the best. LOL!

Old 05-27-2018, 02:54 PM   #8
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Haha, well it's definitely an experiment. I'll try to control the variables that I can (sealing, ventilation, cleanliness, applying what I'm learning about painting etc) and those which I can't (skill, experience), I'll just have to hope for the best. LOL!
A trick i heard about with painting in a non ideal space is to get it really warm and then spill a few gallons of water on the floor to make it humid to try and drag some of the dust out of the air.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:13 PM   #9
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoidberg444 View Post
A trick i heard about with painting in a non ideal space is to get it really warm and then spill a few gallons of water on the floor to make it humid to try and drag some of the dust out of the air.
Interesting. I've definitely heard of wetting the floor to keep the dust down.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:59 PM   #10
atomic_hoji

Drives: 2018 Yaris SE 5MT
Can't wait to see how this turns out, but so far it looks like you're on your way to an awesome setup.

I've done a few little paint projects with a basic HVLP setup in the garage. Regarding fans, I would imagine that you're best to to set the fans to draw through the filters and blow directly out of the garage - filter catches the particulate and you get the vapours right outta there. The trick of getting the floor damp does seem to help keep dust from getting kicked up by either a fan or the air from the paint gun if you happen to blow past.

That said, don't forget that if you're going to go through all the work of setting up a good paint environment that you'll need a decent quality filter / dryer on your air setup - the old beast of a compressor might leave oil in the air and I imagine your humidity is probably like ours (high, and miserable in the summer, lol) so there's a chance of water accumulation in the tank - both will impact your paint quality if they get pushed through the gun.

Of course, goes without saying, airflow and filters or not, please get the proper organic vapour P100 cartridge half-mask.

-- Adam
atomic_hoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:38 AM   #11
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic_hoji View Post
Can't wait to see how this turns out, but so far it looks like you're on your way to an awesome setup.

I've done a few little paint projects with a basic HVLP setup in the garage. Regarding fans, I would imagine that you're best to to set the fans to draw through the filters and blow directly out of the garage - filter catches the particulate and you get the vapours right outta there. The trick of getting the floor damp does seem to help keep dust from getting kicked up by either a fan or the air from the paint gun if you happen to blow past.

That said, don't forget that if you're going to go through all the work of setting up a good paint environment that you'll need a decent quality filter / dryer on your air setup - the old beast of a compressor might leave oil in the air and I imagine your humidity is probably like ours (high, and miserable in the summer, lol) so there's a chance of water accumulation in the tank - both will impact your paint quality if they get pushed through the gun.

Of course, goes without saying, airflow and filters or not, please get the proper organic vapour P100 cartridge half-mask.

-- Adam
Thanks for all the awesome info! I did order a water/oil separator from Crappy Tire. It's not expensive so I hope it's up for the task. I'm also planning on getting one of those water traps that attaches directly to the gun. Yesterday, I placed a small order on Amazon, including a cheapie HVLP gun (as a backup and maybe for my primer), a 6000 series respirator with NIOSH cartridges (I now have 3 functional masks, though at least one probably has the filters at the end of their life).

My biggest concern is that my ventilation system will not work as planned; that I won't be able to get enough air flow. I want a negative pressure set up for quick evacuation but didn't want to spend a small fortune on expensive 'explosion proof' exhaust fans.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 05-29-2018 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:29 PM   #12
atomic_hoji

The little blue Campbell Hausfeld that I picked up at Canadian Tire or Princess Auto (can't remember which it was..) has worked well for me so far - though I've never test the air quality coming out of it either, and the small bit of paint I've done I haven't inspected closely; and probably shouldn't be.. lol. The sample cards and panel that I did with my Canadian Tire HVLP, a basic compressor with separator, and an economy line, single part straight colour paint (no metallic, pearl, etc..) gave a nice, even colour and decent gloss. I figure if I ever get the body on that truck straight, assembled, and ready for paint then it'll do just fine. That's is a lot of IFs ...

I guess the old adage of what you want as a result vs what you want to spend applies - given the work you did on the low lip, I bet if you do a few practice boards and use some care you can probably put down a decent paint job that you'll be happy with; maybe at close inspection there are small imperfections, but hey at 50' it looks great! If you want the absolute perfect candy apple show car paint, well garage brew maybe won't work for ya.. lol

Glad to hear you've got the respiratory gear covered. A half-mask I assume? Only trouble I've had with half-mask is blow back (painting and cleaning in parts washer) into the face can irritate your eyes - safety glasses tend to fog up with the half-masks that I've used. Maybe just something to keep in mind if you spray into a fender well or other nooks and crannies..

I've worked with fans running when I've painted (spray, roller with a 2-part epoxy primer) or when using the parts washer full of varsol, thinner, diesel, etc..) and not had a problem - not that I want to say that and have you blow-up, I'd feel terrible, but while the products may be flammable the explosion limits might be higher you'll encounter painting - a good read of the MSDS and talk with the paint supply place should give you a better idea.

Can't wait to see how you make out!

-- Adam
Old 05-28-2018, 09:34 PM   #13
06YarisRS

A few more pics...

Door to booth is the second panel of filters

I decided to bring the booth right out to couple with the door. I was worried about vapours backdrafting into the garage. I'm seriously reconsidering the use of box fans for a couple of reasons: 1) I doubt they will remove enough air and 2) I worry about the open motor even though being an induction motor it's not likely to emit sparks.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:53 PM   #14
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
This is so cool.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:01 PM   #15
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
oh awesome when get some freeup time can i borrow your booth.
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:20 PM   #16
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic_hoji View Post
The little blue Campbell Hausfeld that I picked up at Canadian Tire or Princess Auto (can't remember which it was..) has worked well for me so far - though I've never test the air quality coming out of it either, and the small bit of paint I've done I haven't inspected closely; and probably shouldn't be.. lol. The sample cards and panel that I did with my Canadian Tire HVLP, a basic compressor with separator, and an economy line, single part straight colour paint (no metallic, pearl, etc..) gave a nice, even colour and decent gloss. I figure if I ever get the body on that truck straight, assembled, and ready for paint then it'll do just fine. That's is a lot of IFs ...

I guess the old adage of what you want as a result vs what you want to spend applies - given the work you did on the low lip, I bet if you do a few practice boards and use some care you can probably put down a decent paint job that you'll be happy with; maybe at close inspection there are small imperfections, but hey at 50' it looks great! If you want the absolute perfect candy apple show car paint, well garage brew maybe won't work for ya.. lol

Glad to hear you've got the respiratory gear covered. A half-mask I assume? Only trouble I've had with half-mask is blow back (painting and cleaning in parts washer) into the face can irritate your eyes - safety glasses tend to fog up with the half-masks that I've used. Maybe just something to keep in mind if you spray into a fender well or other nooks and crannies..

I've worked with fans running when I've painted (spray, roller with a 2-part epoxy primer) or when using the parts washer full of varsol, thinner, diesel, etc..) and not had a problem - not that I want to say that and have you blow-up, I'd feel terrible, but while the products may be flammable the explosion limits might be higher you'll encounter painting - a good read of the MSDS and talk with the paint supply place should give you a better idea.

Can't wait to see how you make out!

-- Adam
I don't know how I missed this but will read in its entirety and respond this evening. Thanks

Indeed, I'm not expecting perfection. I'm simply too impatient for that. So long as I have even color, good gloss and no visible dings, I can live with some paint imperfections.

Glad to hear you've had success with the fans and the various solvents you've sprayed. As young adults, we used to spray (sometimes with cans, other times with a compressor) all the time in garages without any mask, ventilation and with wood stoves cooking away. I guess one's sense of mortality creeps up with increasing age.

I have a couple 1/2 masks and another on the way.I just ordered a 6000 series reuseable 3M one and a set of NIOSH filters and pre-filters. One 3M is a disposable type that's only been used for about an hour. I never really thought about the blowback of paint/overspray. To keep 'in budget', I'll maybe try some kind of goggle as opposed to shelling out for a full face mask. I do have a painter's suit.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 05-29-2018 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:17 PM   #17
bairjo

I made a paint booth years ago. I used pvc pipe and fittings so it was easy to store when i was done. Used rolled painters plastic on all sides. I didn't put water on the floor for humidity. I didn't it was a good idea at all since that can affect the paint so i rolled plastic on the floor and drove the car in. Used a box fan to pull air out with a filter on an inlet window and a filter on the outlet. Worked out rather well for what i needed.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:06 PM   #18
atomic_hoji

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Glad to hear you've had success with the fans and the various solvents you've sprayed. As young adults, we used to spray (sometimes with cans, other times with a compressor) all the time in garages without any mask, ventilation and with wood stoves cooking away. I guess one's sense of mortality creeps up with increasing age.
I've found the amount of really stupid s* that I've done through life has gone down dramatically now that I have kids.. Age and responsibility just ruining all the good fun, 'eh?

I've tried both regular safety glasses and the foam padded goggle type but both fogged up on me and I ended up taking them off - hence how I found out the hard way about eye irritants.. lol. Anti-fog spray might help a bit too. I'd guess that doing the long, smooth body panels you'll be ok in that regard - just be cautious doing up under fenders or under the spoiler, etc..

-- Adam