Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
JustPassinThru

Drives: No more Yaris
AIRBAGS - with Front Pass Seat disconnected

Greetings - new to the forum but a Yaris owner for four years. I'm on my second; had a 2009 and now a 2012.

The price of gas being what it is, I sold my truck and now have to make do with just the Toy. What with my needs it can be a bit of work.

Right now, I'm looking at a business/pleasure trip to Florida. There just is NOT the interior space - on another car I once owned, one without seat airbags, I took out the front passenger seat. Tremendous difference - doubles the useful room.

Now I knew unplugging the seat airbag would set off the PASSENGER light. What I did NOT know was that it would switch off the WHOLE AIRBAG system; and set the Seat Belt warning light flashing.

Does anyone know how I might find what terminals to jump, or shunt, or put resistance on, that might (1) turn off the Seat Belt light; and (2) switch on the airbag system? I mean...if nobody's in the front seat, the passenger side is switched off anyway. So...how might I dummy this system?

A trip to Florida is 1600 miles each way. That's a lot of driving; bad things can happen. AND...I might want to keep the front seat out for awhile afterward. IF I can make the system work again.
JustPassinThru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
There is an easy solution for the passenger occupancy system bypassing to allow removal of the passenger seat without causing problems for the airbag system. I developed a Passenger Occupancy Sensor Bypass Module, which is sold via Micro Image. Currently they just have the 2006-2011 version listed on their website, but I recently completed a version for the 2012+, which is now available.

Here is the link to the current version, but if you contact them to place the order, they can supply the 2012+ version:

http://shop.microimageonline.com/sea...keywords=ocsbm
Old 12-10-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
JustPassinThru

That would be just what I'm looking for.

Price is a little high...but I grant it's cheaper than buying a shop manual, working through electrical resistance values, and then building shunts.

I'll give them a call.

Thanks.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
That would be just what I'm looking for.

Price is a little high...but I grant it's cheaper than buying a shop manual, working through electrical resistance values, and then building shunts.

I'll give them a call.

Thanks.
It is not a matter of resistors. It is an active microcontroller-based device that communicates over the LIN bus to the OC ECU to emulate the weight sensors (which are LIN bus based load cells). Gone are the days of simple resistor or jumper based bypasses.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:04 PM   #5
JustPassinThru

While I'm thinking about it: Will I have to reset the system in some way, or have the dealer do it; or will plugging it in be enough?

Mercy sakes, these things get complicated.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:07 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
While I'm thinking about it: Will I have to reset the system in some way, or have the dealer do it; or will plugging it in be enough?

Mercy sakes, these things get complicated.
They do indeed.

You may have to reset it once the system is happy. You can do so with a jumper on the OBDII port. Check out the instructions in this post for how to do so:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...d=1#post557473
Old 12-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #7
JustPassinThru

Seems that terminal jump was for older Yarises.

It it the same for a 2012?

And...I gotta ask. Did you really make a snowplow out of a Yaris, as in your photo there?
Old 12-10-2013, 09:15 PM   #8
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
And...I gotta ask. Did you really make a snowplow out of a Yaris, as in your photo there?
This youngling has much to learn about the ways of the mythical CTScott.

Yes, much to learn.

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:19 PM   #9
JustPassinThru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmck03 View Post
This youngling has much to learn about the ways of the mythical CTScott.

Yes, much to learn.
I guess...browsing other threads Seems he's the tech guru.

No disrespect to the yogi intended.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:22 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Seems that terminal jump was for older Yarises.

It it the same for a 2012?

Yes. Still the same for 2012+.

Indeed on the snowplow. As a matter of fact she plowed the driveway today for the first time for this season. She also has a power dump bed for summer duties.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:52 PM   #11
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
No disrespect to the yogi intended.

I didn't take it as disrespect at all!

Have fun on the forum and welcome!

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:31 PM   #12
JustPassinThru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
They do indeed.

You may have to reset it once the system is happy. You can do so with a jumper on the OBDII port. Check out the instructions in this post for how to do so:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...d=1#post557473
Sorry to beat a dead horse...but discussion of idle speed after disconnecting the battery, got me thinking.

Right now my new Yaris is in winter hibernation. I let it go to sleep with the battery plugged in - and this after 4000 miles with the passenger seat out. Didn't have time to buy the logic module before that trip; but I think the passenger seat is out long-term.

So...if I yank the battery cable...it sits for weeks with no battery current...and I plug in the logic module and switch before bringing it back from the dead...is it likely it all comes up as if it never happened?

Shunting the OBD ought to be easy; but I'm given to bad luck and klutzy accidents on such things.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:36 PM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Sorry to beat a dead horse...but discussion of idle speed after disconnecting the battery, got me thinking.

Right now my new Yaris is in winter hibernation. I let it go to sleep with the battery plugged in - and this after 4000 miles with the passenger seat out. Didn't have time to buy the logic module before that trip; but I think the passenger seat is out long-term.

So...if I yank the battery cable...it sits for weeks with no battery current...and I plug in the logic module and switch before bringing it back from the dead...is it likely it all comes up as if it never happened?

Shunting the OBD ought to be easy; but I'm given to bad luck and klutzy accidents on such things.
With the SRS some codes will not reset even with a long power down, but if I remember correctly codes for the occupant classification system will clear with just a power cycle, so theoretically you shouldn't need to do the OBD dance.