Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-19-2015, 01:58 PM   #1
2009Toyotoad

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr
Tools needed for MTM fifth gear R&R?

I'm getting ready to change my fifth gear (drive and driven) to a slightly higher ratio. .725 from.815. Its just occurred to me that I may not have the correct tool for the job. I believe that the drive gear with the split bearing set can be removed using a harmonic balancer puller, on the syncro set. The re-install with the replacement 41 tooth 5th gear, I would install the syncro set after the gear using a 12MM 1.75 bolt, a big washer, and a 1 & 1/2" socket to press the syncro set back in place.

It is the "driven" shaft that I'm confused as to what tool is needed. I assume a threaded puller is needed, but I have no idea what Part number or brand to look for. Also confused as to whether the needle bearing need to be removed for the 29 tooth 5th(driven shaft) gear swap.

I hope that all make sense and someone can help me out
2009Toyotoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:16 AM   #2
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
I've done the swap myself, but the images from my teardown thread are missing.

You won't know for sure which tools you need until you open the end cover--some hubs have 2x M8 threaded holes for removal, some don't. If yours has them, you can use a universal puller set (steering wheel/hub/harmonic balancer). If it's missing the holes, you will need a locking style puller or the OEM tool kit to remove it. I borrowed a posi-lock from a friend, as they're quite spendy.

The driven gear has the staked retaining nut holding it in place, but it's also a press-fit spline. I think I had to use a bearing puller to get under the lip, as it's too narrow for a regular gear puller's jaws.

Basically, I went to Harbor Freight and bought these kits:
http://www.harborfreight.com/bearing...set-93980.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/bolt-ty...set-69889.html

Installation really should be done with a press, as the stress on the threads can damage the shaft. You may be able to have an automotive shop press them for a nominal fee. Make sure you get a new stake nut and c-clip too. I also bought a tube of the OEM gasket material and have had zero leaks from it.
Attached Images
File Type: png 5th gear hub removal.png (35.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: png 5th gear driven removal.png (31.5 KB, 31 views)
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:30 AM   #3
CrankyOldMan

The other thing to keep in mind is that the ratio REALLY kills your acceleration in 5th gear and has little to no improvement on fuel economy. Since it's an overdrive gear, you give up torque to get rpms. At freeway speeds, the air resistance becomes a major factor.
I've got close to 150 hp at the crank, and matting the pedal in 5th gear doesn't do anything other than drink gasoline. It's nice to have lower rpms for engine/exhaust noise, but I don't see an increase in fuel economy. If anything it's a wash compared to 4th gear.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:15 AM   #4
2009Toyotoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
I've got close to 150 hp at the crank, and matting the pedal in 5th gear doesn't do anything other than drink gasoline. It's nice to have lower rpms for engine/exhaust noise, but I don't see an increase in fuel economy. If anything it's a wash compared to 4th gear.
Darn I was hoping to eek out another two to three MPG at 65 MPH. I was aware of the power reduction and to that end I'll be adding a Tooter IV intake spacer. Which I hope will help that mid range torque issue with the taller gear set.
Since I've decided against turbo or supercharging for the time being, I'll likely try Jet performance ECU upgrade tuning on my spare ECU which I just got it back from CTScott a couple of days ago.
I've already seem great MPG improvement by getting both The TRD CAI and TRD sports exhaust installed on my original engine with 109K miles. It's never gotten below 40 MPG, but was starting to drop a bit once I past 100K on the odometer. Completing the build is a new factory exhaust manifold that's been high temp powder coated with a new K&N O2 front sensor.
Thanks for the tip on gear reinstallation. Maybe the crew down at my local Meineke will let me use their HF press to push them back on the shafts.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:32 AM   #5
CrankyOldMan

Did you buy the gear set brand new, or did you scavenge it? Seems like even 2-3 mpg would take a ludicrous number of miles to repay the investment for new parts. Though if the goal is fuel economy for emissions' sake (you are in CA, after all) then it may be worthwhile.

Either way, let us know how it works out.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:51 AM   #6
2009Toyotoad

New aftermarket gears are $142 plus (15) shipping. That's about 48 gallons of fuel at CA prices. Based of the mileage saving its about 12 months of driving to recoup the costs.