Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-11-2009, 11:48 PM   #1
mia76

Drives: Nippon Cars Only!
How Can I Play Songs from my iPod on my Yaris' Stereo System?

Sorry if this has been asked before. But:

Is there like an iPod Adapter Interface (like the one BMW 1 Series and Mini Cooper has) that I can install? I want something really simple (like preferably something that wont require me to mess up the dashboard). I don't really want to burn 700 MB worth of music in a CD every month to play in the car.

My Yaris is a limited edition and it has a limited edition interior. So if I wreck/scratch the interior (incl. the dashboard) trying to install an iPod adapter, I'm afraid I might have to go through a LOT of trouble getting it fixed/replaced. Because I don't think Toyota Indonesia would stock limited edition parts.

Thank you.

-Mia

X-Posted here: http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?ui...ic=7460&ref=mf
Old 03-12-2009, 01:17 AM   #2
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
the best thing i can suggest if you do not want to mess with the dash too much is to get a adapter that will turn your ipod's signal into a radio frequency. you tune the adapter to a radio station band that isnt used in your daily commute and tune your yaris' radio to that station band.

you can even get some that have ipod controls and a charger built in...you can plug them into the lighter outlet inbetween the front seats in the consol by the shifter (if your car has it).

those arent a permanent solution but if you are leasing a car and it doesnt have a mp3 player input it is one of the best ways to have mp3 play through the car.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:28 AM   #3
Rain
help! my Yaris shrunk!

Drives: 12 Hot Lava iQ/07 Jade Vios
I think the simplest way is to just connect your iPod directly to your yaris through the aux port using a cable
Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:45 AM   #4
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain View Post
I think the simplest way is to just connect your iPod directly to your yaris through the aux port using a cable
if the stereo has one...i am assuming since they are asking it doesnt have a aux input. if it does, they make car chargers that plug into a lighter socket of a car and have a remote for selecting songs built into the charger base.

something like that would keep you from taking your eyes off the road to mess with the ipod, and keep it charged at the same time, allowing you to hide the ipod in the glovebox or under one of the seats so you wouldnt have to disconect the ipod and hide it or carry it with you to help discourage theft.

either way, they make adapters of all kinds, so regardless of if the car has a aux input or not, there are adapters out there to allow you to keep the ipod charged, your eyes on the road, and do not require hacking up the dash or the wiring of the car.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:27 AM   #5
808_Yaris
Where is Oahu?

Drives: 5-door meteorite metallic
buy the 09 yaris S :) comes with an ipod adapter!
808_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:28 AM   #6
808_Yaris
Where is Oahu?

and charger my ipod :)
Old 03-14-2009, 01:08 AM   #7
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Burning MP3 to CD will give you hours of music that can be set up as files and selected on the radio. Better than trying to control your iPod.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:14 PM   #8
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808_Yaris View Post
buy the 09 yaris S :) comes with an ipod adapter!

So does the 07 and 08 non-s
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:43 PM   #9
808_Yaris
Where is Oahu?

Yup ;) works with the iphone too
Old 03-25-2009, 10:49 AM   #10
blackphantom

Drives: 07 HatchBack Yaris
mia76 is this what you are talking about ? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOT...fAudioQ5fVideo

blackphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:40 AM   #11
Sparks Toyota-TRD

Drives: Toyota/Scion
Here is a link to something we have for you

http://www.trdsparks.com/displaypart...&parts_id=2505

It charges the IPOD and plays the songs on your stock radio.

Thanks

Tim
Sparks Toyota-TRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:32 AM   #12
mia76

Drives: Nippon Cars Only!
Thank you everyone for the suggestions.

I think Spades is right: thanks a lot. I should get one of those adapters. My friend took my friends and I out and he has this Creative Zen mp3 player he connects through a CASSETTE ADAPTER (!) to his Toyota Starlet (it was shaped like a cassette with a wire on it! Amazing). he also told me that there are plenty of similar adapters that work with lighter/cigarette outlets for iPods.

@Rain: thank you. =) I'm not sure if I have an aux port at all. It may be hidden somewhere, though.

@yaris-me: thank you. thing is, I sync my iPods a lot because I get bored so easily. the only one i don't sync much is the biggest one (which i don't carry around too much because the crime rate is pretty high and I'm trying to prevent getting mugged). CDs carry about 700MB and in no time i'll get bored of them and would have to burn them every couple of weeks which is a waste of plastic. not very environmentally-friendly. =(

@blackphantom: thank you, i think that's what i want. but it looks like i'll have to do a lot of tweeking.

@Sparks Toyota-TRD: thank you. but i have no clue how to install that. will i have to get help from a garage?
Old 04-12-2009, 04:19 PM   #13
Sparks Toyota-TRD

The instructions for it are on the far right hand corner for you. If you think it is too hard then yes you will need help for a garage. In all honesty a beginner can install that part by following those instructions. They are very detailed instructions for you. Thanks!

Tim
Old 04-12-2009, 05:30 PM   #14
biri

Drives: 2005 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks Toyota-TRD View Post
The instructions for it are on the far right hand corner for you. If you think it is too hard then yes you will need help for a garage. In all honesty a beginner can install that part by following those instructions. They are very detailed instructions for you. Thanks!

Tim
i have a 2005 yaris with no aux slot. i was wondering if any of you know how to mount one cause i don't like the sound on a fm trasnmiter. the thing is i want to wire a cable from the cd player to connect an ipod or a mp3 player and don't know how...
Old 04-13-2009, 08:52 AM   #15
Sparks Toyota-TRD

The only thing I can suggest is probably the same thing I have for my 06 XB. I had to get something to plug into the back of the radio with aux inputs coming out of it. Sort of like an adapter. You can scower google for it. Wish I could help you on that!

Tim
Old 04-13-2009, 12:05 PM   #16
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
mia: you know, you can use a CD-RW so you don't have to waste a cd each time..
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:49 PM   #17
biri

Drives: 2005 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks Toyota-TRD View Post
The only thing I can suggest is probably the same thing I have for my 06 XB. I had to get something to plug into the back of the radio with aux inputs coming out of it. Sort of like an adapter. You can scower google for it. Wish I could help you on that!

Tim
i've googled it half way to china and didn't find nothing... don't know what's behind don't know what to put it.. so if you find anything please buzz me.