Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-23-2007, 03:42 AM   #1
YarisFan007

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris HB
"Roll-out!" ...on 18" or more?

I'd like your opinions on something...
Do you think 18" rims or bigger looks rather too big on a Yari Hatchback?
In my opinion, 18" or more makes the Yari look even more "bubbly" or "rounded"... you know what i mean? I even saw one guy w/ 20" on his Yari HB. ..lol, i thought that was going overboard- 20" on a Yaris hatchback? C'mon now!

I think 15s, 16s, & 17s are just right for a Yari HB. And again, this is just my opinion; I can't tell you what looks good or not. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

What's your opinion?
YarisFan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:53 AM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
I'm running 18's, yes, they look damn good, but because of the very low profile tires, comfort goes down and you will want to cry every time you hit a pothole or rock on the road.

Personally, i would say 16" is ideal on this car. You should take a look through the "post your aftermarket rim pics" thread in the wheels and suspension sub-forum, everyone has posted their pictures of different wheel sizes and styles. it should help you decide.

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:16 AM   #3
YarisFan007

Yea- i've seen your Yari, eTiMaGo...and, hot damn that's a good lookin' Yari!

A red Yari w/ White rims is always a good match!
Old 08-23-2007, 09:32 AM   #4
staticorex

Drives: Sc'd Yaris Sedan.
I would stick with 17's on the Yaris. 18's are fine and all. I just think they're too big for the car.

No offense eTiMaGo. I know your car looks good with em. :)
Old 08-23-2007, 07:20 PM   #5
pp.sweet

Drives: Red Yaris HatchBack
I think 18's look great with low profile tire..looking at some tomorrow..but for comfort..16's are the sweet spot for most..with some light(weight) rims..
pp.sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:37 PM   #6
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by staticorex View Post
I would stick with 17's on the Yaris. 18's are fine and all. I just think they're too big for the car.

No offense eTiMaGo. I know your car looks good with em. :)
Hahhahaha I totally agree with you... I admit I got a bit carried away when I got the car and didn't think all the way through the disadvantages of big wheels

I mean, here's the result of the unfortunate avoidal of a stupid motorcycle and the meeting of a large diopter (cat's eye) block and my wheel... Pay attention to the top edge of the rim...

Thankfully it's only cosmetic damage, but it could have been avoided with some smaller wheels

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 08-23-2007, 09:09 PM   #7
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
Is that a bend in the rim???
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:33 PM   #8
Ryosuke

Drives: yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
I'm running 18's, yes, they look damn good, but because of the very low profile tires, comfort goes down and you will want to cry every time you hit a pothole or rock on the road.

Personally, i would say 16" is ideal on this car. You should take a look through the "post your aftermarket rim pics" thread in the wheels and suspension sub-forum, everyone has posted their pictures of different wheel sizes and styles. it should help you decide.
Thatīs right. I have 18īs in my yaris and they look so phat, but the ride comfort is affected too much. Looks have a price some of us have to pay.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:36 PM   #9
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvryaris View Post
Is that a bend in the rim???
yeah a bit of a flat spot on the edge there... Doesn't affect anything, btu there is a slight vibration through the steering wheel when I get to high speeds (90MPH+), which is not so often...

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 08-23-2007, 10:22 PM   #10
YarisFan007

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
yeah a bit of a flat spot on the edge there... Doesn't affect anything, btu there is a slight vibration through the steering wheel when I get to high speeds (90MPH+), which is not so often...
The same thing happened to me when w/ my Honda Prelude. I had 17s on mine. I hit a deep pothole in the freeway @ around 70mph+ and got a flat bent on the front-right rim. I felt the vibration immediately, even running @ 50mph. Luckily though i reported the pothole to the CalTrans and they reimbursed me for a new set of rims... so that was cool.
That's one thing i hate about larger rims- the thinner the tires get, the more riskier it is to drive on uneven pavement.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:20 PM   #11
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Hey to each there own.... some ppl like 13 inch wire wheels that stick out from there fenders, some like 17's nicely tucked, yet others monster truck there ride just so they can ride on 26's..... it is all about what YOU like and to what extremes you are willing to take you and your ride to achive what you want
Old 08-24-2007, 12:30 AM   #12
Masteraal

Drives: Black Yaris YRS 3dr Manual
damn eTIMago your rims are freaking hot. ive never been a fan of white rims but damn thats very nice!
what tyres are you running on your 18's?
Masteraal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:49 AM   #13
Meldav86

Drives: 2007 Blzng Blue Yaris Liftback
I think 18's look damn good on the yaris! I didn't have a choice on rim size because mine came with :) i was waiting for my yaris forever, and when they finally found a blue manual with power package i couldnt say no! The ride can be rough at times, and the road noise on the freeway is a bit much. I would probably go with a smaller rim if road noise and comfort is a factor, but if not then 18's are awesome :) Its like wearing heals . . . they look damn good but hurt like hell! The price to pay to be pretty, right?

Anyways here are some pics of my car and my rims. These are the TRD rims that are optional with the car. The tires are yokohama parada spec 2's.

Meldav86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:44 AM   #14
YamilR

Drives: Absolutely Red Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to YamilR
I have 17 on mine... the other day I found out that a nail made its way in the rubber and since I have a 40 profile by the time I made it to the tire shop the rim destroyed the sidewall, so I recommend that if you go with low profile, do a walk around your car before driving it

Last edited by YamilR; 09-02-2007 at 09:01 AM.
YamilR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:28 PM   #15
pp.sweet

Drives: Red Yaris HatchBack
Cool

Dam...YamilR,,so what was the out come of that..did you get the fire wall fixed ??

wELCOME TO oUR wORLD..
pp.sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:47 PM   #16
YamilR

Drives: Absolutely Red Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to YamilR
Quote:
Originally Posted by pp.sweet View Post
Dam...YamilR,,so what was the out come of that..did you get the fire wall fixed ??
Nope, I need a new tire
YamilR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 04:43 AM   #17
heavystarch

Drives: DIW
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamilR View Post
I have 17 on mine... the other day I found out that a nail made its way in the rubber and since I have a 40 profile by the time I made it to the tire shop the rim destroyed the firewall, so I recommend that if you go with low profile, do a walk around your car before driving it
you mean sidewall (firewall separates engine bay from passenger compartment)
heavystarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 04:54 AM   #18
leasaunce

Drives: Toyota Yaris
hey just a warning to you all, bigger rims doesnt always mean more grip! so with the Yaris For safety reasons I would NOT go bigger than 18s. 17s probably the perfect set. goodluck!
leasaunce is offline   Reply With Quote