Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-17-2006, 07:19 PM   #1
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
auto/manual-on the fence big time

ive got a deposit down on an auto hatch. it has been about 2 months since i test drove a hatch automatic. my memory is that it was a bit slow, but smooth and pretty quiet at 70 mph. there are no autos available to test drive currently, but i test drove a 5 speed today. im used to an 05 corolla 5 speed, so the yaris seemed pretty sluggish and the engine noise seemed more intrusive than i remember the automatic being. am i crazy or does the 5 speed rev alot higher at highway speed. i thought the automatic was almost as quiet as my corolla at 70 mph but the 5 speed not so much. i have always driven manuals, but the mpg isnt much different with the yaris manual vs auto and highway quietness has become more important to me. is it my imagination? can someone please confirm.

thanks
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 07:24 PM   #2
Lowfront

Drives: Yaris Sedan
I drive 65 on the highway at 3,000rpms with howard stern on don't hear a thing

I love my 5 speed
Lowfront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 08:51 PM   #3
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Drives: Prius, Silver Yaris Liftback
The manual is definitely a bit raspy if you're driving aggresively, but I wouldn't say the engine noise is obtrusive at highway speeds.
Idjiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 01:45 AM   #4
TrancosRt

Drives: 07 Silver HB Yaris
It's a tad noisy, but far quieter than my old auto Chevy Prizm (which in reality was an old gen Corolla). I would take the stick any day over an auto (one of the reaons that made me change my car actually WAS drive a stick car, and the Yaris fit the bill NICELY!).
TrancosRt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 09:08 AM   #5
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
I think i noticed the the manual was a bit louder, yes.

i test drove an auto, but purchased a manual. id hafta take an auto out again though to be sure. im not sure if im not just forgetting the loudness of hte auto compared to my manual which i currently drive.

Jem

[edited above, sorry, i had meant to say "manual" , not "auto"]

Last edited by Jem_hadar; 08-18-2006 at 11:26 AM.
Jem_hadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 11:06 AM   #6
roxy1

actually, i was saying just the opposite. the auto was far less raucous at 70 mph than the manual. since there is no tach, im only guessing the rpms were higher in the manual. ive found inconsistent reports through my research, but it seems the auto revs at 3000 rpms at 70 mph, but the manual is is more like 3600. can anyone confirm these numbers? this would be quite a difference, but not uncommon nowadays. i guess the fit is very low rpms at highway speed while the manual revs quite a lot higher.

i know the stick is more fun to drive, but i dont like the engine revving that high, as these cars (or any 12k car for that matter) just doesnt have enough insulation to overcome 3500+ rpms.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:27 AM   #7
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1
actually, i was saying just the opposite.
edited my original post. id made a mistake and had put 'auto' instead of 'manual'... fixed it.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:43 AM   #8
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
The auto does run at lower rpms in top gear and that makes for a smoother quieter ride.
07WYarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 02:47 PM   #9
AlexK

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan 5MT
My 5 speed sedan is at 3100 rpms at 70 mph (not 3600). If the auto is at 3000 that's not a huge difference.

One thing about the Yaris throttle-by-wire is there is a slight delay in throttle response. It makes shifting the 5 speed a little annoying. I am still not used to it after 2000 miles. I like the manual because I like to be in control, but I can see the draw of the automatic.
AlexK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 04:52 PM   #10
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK
My 5 speed sedan is at 3100 rpms at 70 mph (not 3600). If the auto is at 3000 that's not a huge difference.

One thing about the Yaris throttle-by-wire is there is a slight delay in throttle response. It makes shifting the 5 speed a little annoying. I am still not used to it after 2000 miles. I like the manual because I like to be in control, but I can see the draw of the automatic.
See, seeing as this is my first manual, i dont quite understand what ppl are meaning by this, or how it differs.

I dont find shifting a problem at all, took to it real easy.

And I've driven around my buddy's 5 speed 94 Mazda MX-3, and find it drives the exact same way - no discernable difference to me.

But, I test drove a VW Rabbit a few weeks ago and found driving it strange and "off" compared to my Yaris. I wonder if I was noticing this difference then?? Im not sure, as I dont really understand whut difference I should be noticing in this "throttle by wire" system that Yaris is supposedly on.

Also, I noticed when two of my friends drove my Yaris, both of whom drive sticks currently, and one of whom who has driven almost every kinda of car in manual I can think of, both were having difficulties driving my car smoothly. I found that surprising... maybe this throttle-by-wire business is the reason why?

Can anyone elaborate further for me so maybe I'll understand?

Thanks, Jem
Old 08-20-2006, 01:54 PM   #11
AlexK

When you let off the gas to shift the rpms rise a little and take about second to come back down. You need to wait for them to come back down before letting out the clutch again or it will be jerky and wear the clutch. On a normal car (throttle cable) the rpms drop immedietely when you let off the gas, allowing quicker shifting. This is the annoying part. If this is your first car I'm sure it's no problem but someone who is trying to decide between auto and manual should at least know about it.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:13 PM   #12
roxy1

well, i was able to drive a manual and automatic sedan yesterday. the automatic was right at 3000 rpms at 70 mph. the manual was a touch under 3400 rpms( maybe 3350). anyway, this is a noticable difference in a small engine. i will say the dirrerence in noise was not as noticeable as it was in the hatchback. now im confused about people saying they are at 3100 rpms at 70 mph in their 5 speeds
Old 08-20-2006, 03:46 PM   #13
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
the only adjustment that you have to make with the drive-by-wire system is to let off the gas a bit sooner than you normally would.
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 04:47 PM   #14
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK
When you let off the gas to shift the rpms rise a little and take about second to come back down. You need to wait for them to come back down before letting out the clutch again or it will be jerky and wear the clutch.
OHHHHHHHHHH!!! That would explain why when Cale was driving it, he was real jerky w/ shifting! OMG - awesome, makes so much sense now!

Any chance my buddy's 94 Mazda MX-3 could be throttle-by-wire too? Or is it a new manual technology thats appearing on cars now?

Bc when I drove his, i didnt notice his RPMs dropping any quicker than on mine when shifting..!
Old 08-21-2006, 02:00 AM   #15
AlexK

Hi Roxy,
That is strange you saw 3350 RPMs at 70mph in a manual sedan. Look at what mine shows in the dash at 70mph:

This is why I claimed 3100 RPM at 70mph. I have a Scangauge so I also took a picture of that too:

I think the Scangauge is probably more accurate so I would say 3200 RPM at 70 mph for the manual transmission.

Quote:
the only adjustment that you have to make with the drive-by-wire system is to let off the gas a bit sooner than you normally would.
Yeah that is what I have been doing too. It's not that bad really, but it's annoying.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:04 PM   #16
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Good research AlexK. Just hope taking pictures whilst driving won't distract you too much.The scangauge is a real useful piece of equipment. If only Toyota would agree to put it on for me................................
swng is offline   Reply With Quote