Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-24-2006, 10:03 PM   #1
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
Spacer Template for Hatchback Aftermarket Speaker Install

Hey guys,

I took some time this weekend to get some measurements of the speaker brackets for the hatchback (mine's a five door) as I will begin a complete overhaul of the audio components.

As others have mentioned, the stock speaker is actually the bracket for the speaker. Therefore if you remove the stock speaker, you will need a bracket to mount your aftermarket speaker.

I opted to use custom spacers because I want as little air as possible between the metal, bracket/spacer, and the speaker's chassis. Air = shitty sound reproduction.

This is a template for the Front and Rear door speakers.

Instructions as follows:

1) Print out the template
2) Find out the MOUNTING DIAMETER of your aftermarket speaker
3) Draw the mounting diameter of your aftermarket speaker using the centre (X) as the point of ref. I strongly suggest using a protractor
4) Cut the template along the outside edge carefully
5) Cut out the inside circle that you drew in Step 3) carefully
6) Voila, you now have a template to use on MDF, High grade plywood, or any other material you wish to use.

Notes: Depending on your aftermarket speaker, I would suggest using 1/2" thick MDF as the material for your custom spacer. 1/2" gives clearance to larger components.

Enjoy and good luck!

PS - If you wish to reuse the stock speaker bracket, you have to carefully and cleanly remove the speaker component from the bracket. This will pretty much destroy and render the stock speaker useless.

If anyone is familiar with CorelDraw, you are more than welcome to PM me for the CDR file which will allow you to draw a precise and exact circle.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Spacer - Yarisworld.pdf (15.8 KB, 1927 views)