Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-11-2019, 08:12 AM   #1
Faulteh

Drives: 2008 Yaris Manual
2008 -- Once warm won't rev past 3000rpm

Hey all,

So, I've done some searching and some reading already but most people I talk to suggest starting to replace parts. I'm looking to sell this car for like $2500-$3000 so, starting to swap parts really doesn't make sense for me. I'd like to find a way to diagnose what's wrong with my car and fix JUST that.

So, my car is a 5 speed, ~188,000 KMs.(117,000 miles).. It's developped a fun issue where on a cold start, it tends to drive fine. Then after ~10 minutes, it won't rev past 3000RPM. The tach just bounces off and it feels like the car stumbles. It will do this continously if you keep it at 3000rpm, if you upshift before this issue you can avoid it completely.

Only thing I've done so far is take the MAF off and spray it with sensorkleen.

Note: I am a COMPLETE noob when it comes to repairing cars. But, I do troubleshoot for a living, so I think I have the mind for it and am open to doing the work and learning to get this fixed.

So far, I've seen people suggest the most likely causes are:

1) spark plugs
2) ignition coil
3) fuel filter
4) catalytic converter

What i'd like to know is. How do I diagnose these issues and verify that's the problem without starting to swap parts. Should I remove the spark plugs and inspect for burns/cracks? If I do, should I have anti-seize on hand to reapply?

I'm happy for anyone's help!

Thanks!
Faulteh is offline   Reply With Quote