Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-06-2014, 11:08 AM   #1
grampi

Drives: Corolla
Have you had problems with your coils going bad?

My daughter had her Yaris just one week after purchasing it used before the engine started running very rough. Took the car into my mechanic and he found 2 bad ignition coils. Now I've had these things go bad on my vehicles, but never more than one at a time...even my mechanic said it's very rare for this to happen...I'm just wondering if these coils are a high rate of failure item on the Yaris...I sure hope not as they are over $100 each!
grampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:32 PM   #2
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
That is odd ...have not seen any go and two at same time ..hmmm
Sure it was not just bad plugs I would have done that first also did u get engine code for miss fire , I would first o plugs and go from there not saying ur guy is wrong but just odd.

sent from my S4 on Mars
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:46 PM   #3
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
What year Yaris? How many miles? Frankly I have never heard of the coils failing on just about any car these days.

When I was a car mechanic in '78 I made $3 an hour. I got paid in cash. My boss was very kind to deduct my state and federal taxes before he paid me.

So much for what people who work in car shops say!
Old 09-06-2014, 12:51 PM   #4
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Agree ...shops will take u for a ride if ur not careful do ur homework .
3$ an hr oye and we complain that 30$ is not enuf lol

sent from my S4 on Mars
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:30 AM   #5
grampi

First off, it wasn't plugs as I put new ones in last weekend...secondly, my mechanic wouldn't screw me...I've been using him for years and he's never screwed me yet...and I know these coils go bad from time to time, my wife's MPV had one go bad a while back...I've just never seen more than one at a time go bad before...oh, and it's an '09 with 168K miles...
Old 09-08-2014, 09:58 AM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampi View Post
First off, it wasn't plugs as I put new ones in last weekend...secondly, my mechanic wouldn't screw me...I've been using him for years and he's never screwed me yet...and I know these coils go bad from time to time, my wife's MPV had one go bad a while back...I've just never seen more than one at a time go bad before...oh, and it's an '09 with 168K miles...
More than one failing would make me suspect something else causing that to happen. Incorrect spark plugs would be my first suspect and over-voltage due to a faulty voltage regulator (within the alternator) would be my second.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:55 AM   #7
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampi View Post

From what you say I think my above statement doesnt apply.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:59 AM   #8
grampi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
More than one failing would make me suspect something else causing that to happen. Incorrect spark plugs would be my first suspect and over-voltage due to a faulty voltage regulator (within the alternator) would be my second.
Or the coils just went bad...all electrical components fail from time to time...and I know for a fact the correct spark plugs are in, I used the ones called for by Toyota...
Old 09-10-2014, 07:30 PM   #9
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
Did the coil fail or was it the boot? A bad boot can cause spark to jump to ground.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:25 AM   #10
grampi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-x-fire View Post
Did the coil fail or was it the boot? A bad boot can cause spark to jump to ground.
The coils failed.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:54 AM   #11
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
IMO, shit happens and i am not surprised that 2 out of 4 could have failed.