Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-07-2009, 07:09 PM   #1
2+2

Drives: 09 3Dr Manual
So you like to drive?

Aka choosing your hobbies wisely.

I just bought a $229 racing wheel and it kicks butt. Btw, sim racing is the cheapest hobby I've ever had. Golf was outrageous, motorcycles damned near killed me and weren't exactly cheap either. I shudder to think what racing real cars would cost.

For $229 I get to drive some pretty exciting cars and now that huge flat screen monitors and high powered computers are so cheap it's a gimme imo.

The wheel I picked up was the Logitech G27 for the pc or ps2 or ps3. Amazon has the best price around ($293) but I stopped into my local Best Buy to check it out and it had a $229 price tag on it. I went to the checkout with it prepared to tell them to put it back thinking that it would ring up at about $299. Sure enough it did but before I could say anything the nice young fella said "hold on sir, let me get someone over here to fix that for you". YES - the best wheel around at a very good price!

If you're in a Best Buy soon check it out. I've only got a couple of hours on it (and I'm coming off a 3 1/2 year hiatus) and already I'm turning in respectable times with it. The wheel itself is very good - leather covered with 920 degree lock to lock travel, but for me the value is in the pedals. Very precise. A real joy to use.

Currently the hours I work aren't predicable enough to do this, but I used to be in an online racing league. That was fun. 64 guys in 4 divisions duking it out each week - too cool. I even managed to win a race in the A division once - had the league's best driver on my tail the whole race - one mistake and it was over - hey Paul, sorry you lost!!!

If you can't get the G27 at a good price keep your eyes open for the G25. I'm not even 100% sure that the G27 is a step up. The G25 has a proven track record but the G27 has a few more bells and whistles. Logitech is closing out the G25 and I'm sure there will be some incredible black friday deals on it.

Edit - lol my favorite review
G27 review

Last edited by 2+2; 11-07-2009 at 07:31 PM.
2+2 is offline   Reply With Quote