Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-07-2015, 02:54 AM   #1
rabbito

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris Sedan (Vios)
E85 All Motor Build

I just started this project a month ago..2012 1NZ 1.5 Toyota Vios (Yaris Sedan) from Thailand..Im trying to do cheapest way possible..Jun bolt on camshaft is really way to go but Im not going to purchase this due to finance issue..lol

- Simota intake (i took them off and changed them back to K&N drop in cause i lost low end power and sounds hella retarded..)
- Yaris RS Japan (Vitz RS) C coded MAF sensor, RS VVTI oil valve , IX spark plugs (stock E coded 1nz vvti opens around 4000rpm, C coded maf with rs vvti opens valve around 2500rpm)
- Header
- Front strut, rear sway bar
- Battery volt balancer

<upcoming parts>
just ordered custom mid pipe to fit with the header..(stock yaris header and mid pipe has too much restriction)

still looking for 1zz throttle body (i will probably add hks intake)

found the pulley but still thinking about it..im not sure if this is worth the upgrade

kyb shocks with tanabe springs (coming soon)

hankook tires (my tires are slipping..i need some good tires)

just ordered 1jz injectors(280cc) to replace my stock 1nz injectors(200cc)..this is for E85 flex fuel over boost +30% when i chiptune the engine..

E85 flex fuel kit
E85 chiptuning + dyno

I will update everyone with further modification
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PhotoGrid_1449473285166.jpg (463.7 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg PhotoGrid_1449566443335.jpg (401.8 KB, 161 views)

Last edited by rabbito; 12-08-2015 at 04:21 AM.
rabbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:23 AM   #2
Fluxtasy
feed my pet

Drives: Yaris Sedan '10
I'm also running RS MAF sensor, RS VVTI solenoid & RS coilpacks which I bought from a Thai parts seller.

The 1ZZ TB is 54-55mm but I believe I saw some Thai seller with a 60mm TB but I'm not sure from which car though. Looking forward to updates from your project!
Fluxtasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:32 AM   #3
jmanous

Drives: Toyota Yaris Sedan 2007
what do you mean opens the VVTi valve?

I thought VVTi can control advanced or retarded timing only.
jmanous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:16 AM   #4
rabbito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluxtasy View Post
I'm also running RS MAF sensor, RS VVTI solenoid & RS coilpacks which I bought from a Thai parts seller.

The 1ZZ TB is 54-55mm but I believe I saw some Thai seller with a 60mm TB but I'm not sure from which car though. Looking forward to updates from your project!
yeah, im getting confused about the size..some people here were mentioning "sensoring part is on your own" so im guessing they have different size and sensor
Old 12-07-2015, 11:25 AM   #5
rabbito

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanous View Post
what do you mean opens the VVTi valve?

I thought VVTi can control advanced or retarded timing only.
japanese built Yaris RS series aka Vitz Racing Series comes with different parts such as maf, vvti valve, coil pack, header etc.i dont remember much but anyways this especific yaris(vitz) vvti kicks around 2500rpm all the way through rest of the power band..stock 1.5 yaris(i think most of the yaris in the world) valve opens around 4000rpm..so replacing these japanese RS parts will "trick" the ecu and vvti will kick in earlier..like the other guy stated, he also replaced it with RS coil pack etc..it also gives extra power, im not sure but they also told me to replace with higher heat range spark plugs so i got them ix plugs..

conclusion: it does the jobs
Old 12-07-2015, 02:36 PM   #6
MedMantle

Drives: Yaris '05 1.3 Hatch "R.I.P."
Interesting things you're telling us about the RS parts.. I have a feeling I'm gonna be broke again soon :P
MedMantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:04 PM   #7
rabbito

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedMantle View Post
Interesting things you're telling us about the RS parts.. I have a feeling I'm gonna be broke again soon :P
i was suprised too when i got to south east asia from u.s..
when i got here, people here were taking it to different level of tuning cars..exchanging parts from jdm counter parts, ecu tuning, fabricate exhausts, turbo diesel tuning..

so i decided to test out the mod that they do here..which is exchanging with jdm yaris(vitz) counter parts and E85 fuel overboost with ecu chiptuning..

Last edited by rabbito; 12-07-2015 at 10:05 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 12-07-2015, 11:43 PM   #8
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
huh? this is the first I've heard of this MAF and VVT-I solenoid. how does it "trick" the ECU? wouldn't you need to switch the ECU so it has the programming for the valve activation?
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 04:17 AM   #9
rabbito

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDigby View Post
huh? this is the first I've heard of this MAF and VVT-I solenoid. how does it "trick" the ECU? wouldn't you need to switch the ECU so it has the programming for the valve activation?
thats what i said when i saw south east asian countries doing it with their 1nz yaris/vios with Vitz RS jdm counter parts

i wasnt really convinced so i decided to test them myself by ordering RS parts and higher heat range plugs..and damn shit works..
Old 12-08-2015, 07:49 AM   #10
Fluxtasy
feed my pet

I think the Thai's have known this for some time now. Their forums are in their own language so even if you try to do a search and nothing will pop up. Language barrier is the issue and I really had to try and make sense of what the Thai seller was explaining to me.

Even the coil packs have different part numbers and specs:

Denso 90919-02240: These came stock with my car. When AC & headlights are turned on, during idle when AC kicks in & the RPM would drop close to 500 and feels pretty much that the engine would die

Denso 90919-02229: These are the supposedly Vitz RS coil packs that I bought. Much smoother with the above situation

http://www.rhdjapan.com/toyota-oem-c...ta-1kr-fe.html

Denso 90919-02262: This item is listed on RHD JAPAN as OEM coil packs for Vitz, Passo & Belta

I've mentioned before Toyota is pretty smart about costing down on parts. Their own JDM is called a Belta but for the Asian market is called a Vios. I believe not only is the interior different but some parts are of lower quality. Heck the Belta might even have a proper header vs the Vios. Again if you pay for the RS then you are getting a factory souped up version.

Last edited by Fluxtasy; 12-08-2015 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:13 AM   #11
jmanous

Drives: Toyota Yaris Sedan 2007
I think the vvi solenoid is a pulse modulated (PWM aka duty cycle) valve which, in the US yaris at least, 50% duty cycle means 0 degrees, higher than 50% means advance and lower than 50% means retard.

I can't imagine how the RS solenoid would work, except the 0 degrees point of reference is
either lower or higher duty cycle than the usual 50%.

Remember these things are intelligent. The solenoid is not analog, has its own controller. CAM signal also returns the current position (angle) of the camshaft to the ECU.
So if you just alter the vvti angle, the ECU should gradually learn how to achieve
the desired settings essentially voiding your changes.
jmanous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:02 PM   #12
rabbito

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanous View Post
I think the vvi solenoid is a pulse modulated (PWM aka duty cycle) valve which, in the US yaris at least, 50% duty cycle means 0 degrees, higher than 50% means advance and lower than 50% means retard.

I can't imagine how the RS solenoid would work, except the 0 degrees point of reference is
either lower or higher duty cycle than the usual 50%.

Remember these things are intelligent. The solenoid is not analog, has its own controller. CAM signal also returns the current position (angle) of the camshaft to the ECU.
So if you just alter the vvti angle, the ECU should gradually learn how to achieve
the desired settings essentially voiding your changes.
i actually took the vvti solenoid to the shop before i got installed..the owner of the shop looked closely and noticed RS solenoid had a slightly larger "opening valve gap thingy?"..he was really suprised replacing with RS parts did not make the engine light check come on, also engine start running more aggressive and smoother after replacing with RS parts

people here also use RX-8 MAF sensor..WTF, yes..thats what I said..and it works like a charm..

i noticed people in asia modify their car a lot more smarter..thinking more outside the box...
Old 12-08-2015, 11:15 PM   #13
Fluxtasy
feed my pet

I've driven with the RS MAF & solenoid over 6,000km and no the ECU will not revert to previous settings. I think its the grooves on the solenoid is different. I don't know the explanation but as rabbito says: it works!
Old 12-09-2015, 10:09 AM   #14
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Can someone post a brief list of the RS parts and part #'s. If they really help then this is something that a simple and hopefully relatively inexpensive ebay purchase can fix.

What are the experienced benefits performance wise? I understand a smoother idle when the engine is under load, but how's the performance change?
Old 12-09-2015, 12:12 PM   #15
rabbito

i never saw RS parts on ebay..i think you can really find from japan or thailand..goto VIOS 1NZ CLUB on facebook..you will see them listing parts...

RS parts come from Yaris RS (Vitz RS) series...
RS parts that I know of...

Performance mod
- RS C coded MAF sensor (stock code is E..there is big E on the sensor..now thais be using RX8 maf on 1NZ motor..yes WTF..and it works )
- RS Solenoid aka vvti oil valve (i noticed RS valve has bigger gaps..im not pro about this but i installed this one)
- RS coil pack (they said its more stronger, either you can use the coil pack or replace the spark plugs with higher heat range when you install stated mods above..i got the IX plugs)
- RS header (looks like aftermarket headers..but i dont like used headers...so i bought Nitto header and fabricated it with Custom mid pipe)

Exterior
-Front grill (they have this mesh black grill)
-Red RS badge
-Yaris RS back bumper (not for sedan)

Suspension
-I saw white trimmed TRD shock and spring but im not going to put on or purchase old suspension parts..

my rpm shift smoother after 1500rpm and quicker than before..no error or misfiring etc..just like Fluxtasy said..it works..

Thais only drive japanese and german cars...yes WTF..90% of cars are toyota, honda, isuzu etc...these guys do whatever to "break system" to get better result..
Old 12-09-2015, 03:02 PM   #16
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
I am very curious about what the difference is in the voltage on the coil packs. I have seriously looked into the Okada Projects Plasma Direct Coils however at %250 per coil and then needing to purchase their supporting parts I can't stomach pulling the trigger.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 03:13 PM   #17
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
http://www.rhdjapan.com/toyota-oem-c...ta-1kr-fe.html

Denso 90919-02262: This item is listed on RHD JAPAN as OEM coil packs for Vitz, Passo & Belta
And the connector is the same as on the standard 1nz harness correct?

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 06:47 PM   #18
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
eh, i dont think we have to worry about that stuff here in US.

the JDM coil pack is also what we use here stock.
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote