Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-21-2012, 08:03 AM   #1
racerb

Drives: 2010 Yaris HB Blazin' Blue
Road Trip to Carolina Motorsports Park

Well got up Sunday morning and drove down to CMP to watch a little NASA racing action. It's about a 3 hour drive from my house, but a good excuse to get the Yaris out for a road trip. Let's just say I now know why there are so many Yaris fans on here!! Compared to my old '92 Tercel, this thing is a pocket rocket, passing on 2-lane back roads with ease, carving lines around cloverleafs like mad, merging into traffic with ease, and all while getting close to 40 mpg. Watched some great racing, a few spins, some bumping and rubbin', and one paddock fire, but all in all a great day. Stopped on the way out of Camden, South Carolina and filled her up with $3.28 gas and headed on home, driving roughly 135 miles on about a quarter tank of fuel, lovin' this kinda mileage!!

Oh and as a side note, almost everybody I saw asked when would I be converting this car into a B-Spec racecar!!

racerb
'98 Rav4L
'01 Tundra SR5
racerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
lol.. I want to so bad. But would need another daily driver..

I wanted to go to CMP. My friend Shane Lovely ran that this weekend in his 96-99 civic coupe. Still gotta work on getting my license.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
racerb

I saw Shane racing in Honda Challenge on Sunday he started strong (standing start) and was running good, and about 3-4 laps in he pulled off into the pits and never re-entered. I have known Shane for several years but just from speaking at the track, some of the Honda guys are kinda hard to get to talk to ya, not sure why but maybe it's because I'm an Offical!!

Oh and ask Shane about the Standing Start, didn't quite go as planned, they all kinda jumped the gun and took off!

racerb
'98 Rav4L
'01 Tundra SR5
Old 05-21-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Drives: 07 Yaris
CMP rox a$$

Track notes :

Turn 10 (full course) . When driving on CMP and approaching turn 10 , it looks very daunting . Just remember to keep your foot planted on the accel pedal . Turn 10 is actually a kink . Most peeps when they approach turn 10 will hit the brakes then accelerate . If done properly in a Yaris , the driver should be doing 90+ mph .

Safety note :

If you are unfortunate enough to go off track ( farming) at CMP or Roebling Road in Savannah . Don't try and save it . Let your vehicle coast to a stop or at the very least slow the vehicle to about 10-15 mph before you turn the wheel . Hot tires + cool green grass = green ice . Not to mention that if your wheels dig into the soft Carolina sand , it will rocket your car across the track and if your lucky only your car will be totaled .

Check it out . This driver lifts off accel before turn 10 , slides across track then tries to save it .

http://youtu.be/9y7X5ohy5w4

CMP and Beaver Run in PA were designed by the same person . The turn dimensions are very close to being identical , a different order mind you , but pretty much the same . If you master one track , you should do well on the other .
Old 05-21-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
racerb

Most of my laps at CMP the last few years have been in the pacecar, in my case Pace-UV. But when I have run CMP in a racecar (Nissan Pulsar) I would just breath the throttle approaching 10 (the kink) and then hold it flat till about the # 3 brake marker, earlier late in the race as brake fade came on! The two most important spots on this track are turn 8 and turn 14, both are momentum corners and require smooth braking and throttle application. As a long time racer of front drive cars and having never learned to heel-n-toe, I adopted a left foot braking technic that makes tight sweeping turns easier by keeping the car more stable.

I look forward to getting the Yaris on track, but really want to finish my Celica GTS project car for road coarse events and the Yaris for Auto-X. But to be honest, which ever car is ready first will hit the track, maybe CMP or any of NASA Southeast's many tracks!

racerb
'98 Rav4L
'01 Tundra SR5