Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-22-2011, 06:19 AM   #1
APS67
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris
Noise from rear of Yaris

Hi all,

I wondered if anyone could help identify a problem with my Yaris (06) that’s done about 29,000. When driving there’s a rhythmic knocking noise coming from the rear of the car that gets faster as the wheel speed increases, i.e. not linked to the engine revs. My first thought was that it’s a wheel bearing going on one of the rear wheels. What’s making me uncertain that it’s the bearings though is that on another car I had when it’s wheel bearing went it was more of a constant droning/grinding noise rather than a rhythmic tapping. Also with the Yaris the noise is sometimes quieter, sometime very hard to hear, and sometimes louder. Turning doesn’t affect the noise and braking doesn’t seem to make any difference to it either.

After looking at what is involved in replacing a wheel bearing on a Yaris it seems a fairly simple DIY job as the whole hub assembly is replaced as one. Unfortunately this means an extortionate price for the part when it’s only the bearings that may have gone. Anyway, before I go down the route of getting the part I wondered if anyone knew of anything else it could be or how to identify for certain that it is the bearing that’s the culprit. Any help would be very much appreciated.
APS67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:49 PM   #2
aussie muzza

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan YRS auto
APS67
Have you tried jacking up the rear of your car and turning the wheels by hand? You might find something simple like a foreign object stuck in a tyre or a tyre delaminating.
regards Muz
aussie muzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:56 PM   #3
thepartsmancometh

Drives: '08 LB, '07 WRX
foreign object is a good bet. also check, the fender liners to make sure one isnt flapping about while you drive. other than that, it might be time to pull the wheel off (and maybe the drum too)
thepartsmancometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:15 PM   #4
Lil Abner

Drives: 2009 3dr LB Manual
Do you have steelies or alloy wheels? If you have alloy wheels, it will be louder than with steelies. The noise you are probably hearing is the rear brakes being out of adjustment, or a warped brake drum. Like a post above said, jack the back up and spin the wheels to figure out which is doing it.
Lil Abner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:35 PM   #5
grinya202

Drives: yaris hatch 2006 d4d
I apologize for my English. These knocks are due to the fact that the touch wheel bolts for the rear brake mechanism. If you are aftermarket wheels, bolts, or the wrong length.
grinya202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:51 AM   #6
aussie muzza

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan YRS auto
grinya202
Welcome to the forum, my friend.

APS67
Have you managed to find the cause of the noise yet?
regards Muz
aussie muzza is offline   Reply With Quote