Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-06-2012, 05:45 PM   #2125
Alien Mantis
Secret Agent

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
To Derick

I'm not a fan of that sub box on the front passenger floor.

I know exactly what you are trying to do, but that is a huge compromise.

You know how most people do it, they just overpower you with BASS so you can't really tell what direction it's coming from.
You guys are so focused on creating the perfect "sound stage".
In a large open room, it's pretty straightforward. In a car... it's a whole different story.
I wouldn't even want to try and tackle it.
But I guess that's the whole challenge of car audio SQ competition, isn't it.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:41 AM   #2126
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
AM - I completely understand wanting to keep the agenda simple in the car. In some ways I do to... *can I lie through my teeth in the internet?*

A lot of money is relative. I know Scott has something near $300k into Black Betty...

I completely understand about the Type R. Try a small sealed enclosure 10" that's sensitive if you don't have a lot of juice to push it. Heck, I should give you my dual 8"s to try out. I LOVE them with rock. Rage's Take the Power Back is specfriggintacular in my car.

My new piece is going to be a whole new center console that'll integrate the subs in the back and separate the rear floor with the two downfiring subs.

Biggest challenge with MY system? Being content. Figuring out how to do all these tricks that you don't see. Learning new techniques to do new things.

Favorite amps? That's a trick question. I have the three DD amplifiers that I'm currently using in competition. I've chosen those over a McIntosh 6 channel I have sitting in my garage right now. Why? More dynamic power. Do I need it? yes and no. One never knows when you're going to need an ALMS Corvette C6R on the freeway do you? :)

The amplifiers are fine just the way they are. I'm playing with trim and making the car pretty and different. It should please all the Yaris owners to know that I'll probably be the only Yaris at IASCA SQ world championships on the 22nd. :)

I'm getting there...I have two weeks to install the amps, LEDs for the amp rack there, install the solid state relay and tune my car with that Bit One that has "magic juice" in it...
Old 09-07-2012, 04:05 AM   #2127
Alien Mantis
Secret Agent

$300k ??? I didn't even think that was possible.

Dual 8's would be good for my kind of music.
I am definately going sealed box this time around. I have 400w RMS to work with for just the subs. ( Unless I want to buy a bigger amp, which I would rather not. ) It should be enough power to get the job done if I pick some efficient drivers and go with the correct box. As I said, my system has been fine. I've been enjoying it. I just decided to tweak it a little bit, and try to get some sound deadening going. Chassis is noisy.
If I can tighten up the bass a little, and control the noise a little, i'll be totally happy.
You know how it is, you can't leave it alone forever. ( Even me! )

Is that your trunk? What is the air system for?
You might be the only Yaris at the competition because the Yaris is probably not the best starting platform to work with.

When you said $300k for the black betty, is that the whole car, or just the audio system in it?
Any links to some pics of the black betty? I wanna check it out.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:16 PM   #2128
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgvTG...=results_video

Here's an introduction to Black Betty. When Scott was shooting this, I was up in the suite cooking for his clients. Later that day when they shut down the convention hall Scott was dealing with clients and asked me to shut down the car. THAT was very interesting. I spent a little time listening...

400 Watts is fine mang. Just get a woofer or two that are efficient and into that sealed enclosure. You'll be amazed what the "feeling" is when you have woofers that combine well with your mids (and with the music as a whole).

What's in my trunk is three amplifiers, a compressor and the air tank. What's the tank for?

Train horns
Old 09-07-2012, 03:16 PM   #2129
Alien Mantis
Secret Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
Here's an introduction to Black Betty.
Oh... i understand now. That is one sick car. I really enjoyed the engine compartment. That is a show winner for sure.

Quote:
400 Watts is fine mang. Just get a woofer or two that are efficient and into that sealed enclosure. You'll be amazed what the "feeling" is when you have woofers that combine well with your mids (and with the music as a whole).
That's the plan. My current sub does not seem to "combine well" with my mids. My current system seems to be optimized for RAP music. It does that really well. My ported box is tuned for that stuff. I need it to be more optimized for METAL. I'm going with two Infinity Reference 1060w subs this time, in a 1.5cf sealed box. These subs are effecient ( 91db ) low power ( max RMS 275w ) and have a factory rated Xmax of 13mm. On paper, they move some air with lower power requirements. Going from a single sub to 2 should keep my SPL up, while the sealed box will tighten up my response. Very basic stuff compared to what everyone else is doing, but that's where I am at. Got six 12x24 sound dampening sheets coming too. Probably need to buy some more because I plan to do the rear hatch area as well as the doors and rear quarters. So much road noise in this little car.

Quote:
What's the tank for?

Train horns
Ah, okay. I didn't know if you had air-bag suspension or something.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:32 AM   #2130
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

...Installed the LEDs this afternoon and tested them out with all the trim in and on. It's going to look GREAT at night when you open that trunk!

Also installed the solid state relay. Can't really test it out until I get everything in the car on Monday though. Over the weekend I'll be reworking the wiring in the trunk. Monday I'll pick up more 3/8" quick connect fittings for re-routing the air line to take stress off the bends before I hit the shop.

Oh! Love this...I somehow lost my OEM carpetting. I have no flippin' clue where it is. GREAT! That's not an expensive fix or anything...Edit...found it squirreled away in a back cabinet at teh shop. Phew!

Okay, both these pics were taken under shop halogen lighting. That trunk is going to light up big time at night when you open the trunk. That with the contrast between the black painted amps and the white paint then the LEDs...

Also that carpeted surround is just a mid panel between the rack and the top beauty panel. It's not intended to be seen, rather it hides the LED strip and the edges of the rack from direct view.

I also got the solid state relay installed. That is a boring detail BUT in competition you're penalized for relay noise. Whelp...a solid state relay doesn't make any noise...AND...this relay that I have has variable turn off delay. That will allow time for the components upstream to turn off before unloading current onto the amplifiers and causing pop. The back board is carpeted already and I need to move the tank location tonight and create a hole for the air line to go through the panel for a more stress free run.

Last edited by sqcomp; 09-08-2012 at 07:04 PM.
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:00 AM   #2131
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Mantis View Post

SO, since I left, what has been the biggest challenge with your systems?
What is your favorite amps now? How much farther do you need to take your system to get them to where you want them to be?
Derick, what is YOUR goal? Are you going to compete with your Yaris?
Thanks AM,

Challenge... Learning, Listening, Tuning, Understanding, Time, Money and Tools!

Favorite amp?... My old Premier (Pioneer) amp 400 watts RMS directly into my 6.5" woofer it's amazing,

but The Gold is for the Image Dynamics for the Mid-Bass (HAT L6's) at 175 watts x 2, in some songs I turn off the Sub just to show off, almost no change in the music, and people go AAAGGGHHHHH

How much further?... If I had the time and money mmm you wouldn't believe it! but reality... I would like to finish every detail, to make everything look neat!

Goals? my goals are all left behind, the more I learn and the more I'm getting from my system new Goals start to show up, It's like the never ending story.

Compete? ... you know I have many invitations, (PA, Canada, Main, etc) I would love to go, not just for competing and see where I'm, but to learn from others.

All my SQ local friends have a big respect for the little Yaris, and they look for my advice, that makes me feel good too.

Ironically the Yaris turned into a very good platform for my system, some times I dream "if I could buy any car to install a SQ system and improve what I have now!" .... I get good PLDs (9-inches) with my Mids, Tweeters are far way from me, off-axis, left tweeter is 48" away from my left ear, The Sub up front fits perfectly and I can still have a passenger, and the Lows (Mid-Bass) in the doors work ok, would like to have them further up but like you said, in a car everything it's a challenge.

I love my yaris, honestly drives so good, looks good and sounds good, I would be heart broken if I had to let it go for other car.

I'm not a fan of that sub box on the front passenger floor.
The single i6SW is not on all the floor is took to the center console leaving enough space for passenger, the 2nd i6SW is just an experiment, but I'm very pleased with only one i6SW, lately I've been playing with other woofers, and even the IDQ12 in 1cf sealed box! against the i6SW and at the end of the day, I just go back to the i6SW... Sound Quality and overall performance, any music... just throw at it and without any adjustments the system will play it beautiful. Off course this is not a SPL system so don't expect to blow your ears! or to be one of the guys that you can tell his coming blocks away!

I know exactly what you are trying to do, but that is a huge compromise.
Please expand... to me it's all about a natural sound-stage

You know how most people do it, they just overpower you with BASS so you can't really tell what direction it's coming from.
I know! As far as of today all systems I've heard like that hurt my ears and take away the beautiful letters "SQ" from my equation and no matter what... I still can tell where it's coming from "The Back"

You guys are so focused on creating the perfect "sound stage".
YES! YES! YES!

In a large open room, it's pretty straightforward. In a car... it's a whole different story.
Agree 110%

I wouldn't even want to try and tackle it.

But I guess that's the whole challenge of car audio SQ competition, isn't it.

YES! but in my case not for competition, just for pure satisfaction and joy!
When I listen to my system I forget about commuting, problems, traffic, mortgage, Milk, meetings, news, etc, etc.

Welcome back! AM and don't forget about a layer of MLV to block the road noise. Now you can buy at H.D. online at a good price!

D.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:05 AM   #2132
derickveliz2

Quote:
...Installed the LEDs this afternoon and tested them out with all the trim in and on. It's going to look GREAT at night when you open that trunk!
Looks like you are going at 100 MPH!

Looks good, I still need to install the relay, trying to figure out how?

D.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #2133
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

I'm stuck right now until tomorrow.

You see the pic up there with the tank and the compressor? Turn the tank over (upside down and put the compressor on the other side. That's how it's layed out now. I've switched the air line output to keep it on the right side of the car.

...In the process I got too far ahead of myself and need to recarpet the board. The shop is closed today.

That being said, tomorrow is a busy one! I'll get some new fittings to help take the stress off the air line. I'll get the board component mounting points installed, carpet the board, put everything back up, install all of it, make the wires pretty...finalize the DRC mounting back on the modded mounting kit, install the amps, processor and stereo.

Tomorrow night I should have sound, air, and lighting. Over the next week will come the tuning. I'll try to have Bill Pleasant come down next weekend so we can two seat this heffer and get it ready for INAC. Two pairs of ears are better than one in this case.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:15 PM   #2134
derickveliz2

Quote:
Tomorrow night I should have sound, air, and lighting.
Sounds like a famous Rock Band!

Hurry up!

D.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:06 AM   #2135
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Whellp...I got the back board ready to go in. The fuse holder is waiting until I get the board up in the car.

My mind is on the morning. First stop is the fluid connector supply place...to work to pick up some bread for my peeps at the shop...then to the hospital for a pre surgery consult...THEN it's shop time.

It's not much of a picture, but the trunk can be assembled and ready in a half an hour. All wiring, RCAs and amplifiers. You see that hole where the air line is pointing to? The hose is going to go through the board at that point. That whole board is sitting up vertically when I get it in. Notice that the tank and compressor are both placed up more That'll give the amp rack more space to be seen. Those two pairs of wires will also be loomed up in black to blend in better. I still have to figure out the run path...

Last edited by sqcomp; 09-10-2012 at 12:23 AM.
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #2136
Alien Mantis
Secret Agent

Derick, this is your little sub:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8yArcObFZI

Amazing "output", but I'm sure this setup would be garbage for "response".
Old 09-10-2012, 07:16 PM   #2137
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

For a second I thought link into the video we made last year of the L4s playing bass mekanik...
Old 09-10-2012, 11:27 PM   #2138
Alien Mantis
Secret Agent

Got the Infinity 10's in the car today. Took it for a test run.
Initial impression: I LIKE IT.
Output seems to be about the same. Bass is cleaner and tighter, which was exactly what I wanted. Tighter kick-drum hits. Still plays really deep stuff too.
Sounds more "controlled" and musical.
The single TypeR 10 in the slot-ported box was boomy. It liked stuff like Beat Dominator, but was a little loose and muddy with rock and metal music.
The two Infinity 10's in the sealed box can do the Beat Dominator really nice, but also handles the metal stuff way better. Glad I went for the switch.
I really wasn't sure how much of a difference it would make, and whether or not it would be worth it, but it was worth it.
Only putting 200w RMS each to these Infinity's, and they are sounding sweet.
I'm sure they will get a little better once they get broken-in a bit.

NEXT project: sound deadening.
Gotta pull my interior panels back off and install the Stinger Roadkill.
I know it will help. I wish I could have done it back when I changed my speakers, but funds were tight, and I didn't really know how much difference it would make.
After living with this car for a few years, one thing is certain: it is NOISY.
The Roadkill is going to help it. Even if I wasn't ever going to do a system in it, the car still needs it!

SQ: these Infinity's are blending with my mids. I can hear a big difference.
The old TypeR was just off by itself in la-la land. My whole system sounds more "musical" now. No other way to really describe it. It's nice and clean.
Can't wait to get the Roadkill in there.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:28 PM   #2139
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Mantis View Post
Derick, this is your little sub:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8yArcObFZI

Amazing "output", but I'm sure this setup would be garbage for "response".

Yeah! that's the one, but mine lives in a smaller box with 0.35cf and a 15" long 2" Dia. port (Just what HAT recommends) and with 300 watts more.

The feeling of the music coming at you from the front feels so natural, the Bass hits my chest, not the seat, and I love it!

D.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:33 AM   #2140
Alien Mantis
Secret Agent

a long time ago...

... in a galaxy far far away... ( as in: the early 90's )

I was checking out some gear in a local car audio shop. I was testing some subs in a truck. I tried some 10's in boxes. I tried some Bazooka tubes.
10" Bazooka tubes were too big to fit anywhere. Tried the 8", it was okay.
Then I tried two of the 6" Bazooka tubes. Bass was SWEET. Very musical and smooth. Smooth and tight at the same time. Problem was, they were not loud at all. GREAT SQ.... no SPL at all really.

I seen some Sundown Audio 8's. Them things are AWESOME.
They like the power though.

I'm definately getting more into SQ over SPL these days.
I don't listen to music that loud, and I hate boomy bass that you can hear coming down the street. I don't want that in my car.
I like clean, punchy sound IN my car. Since switching to those Infinity's, I got it. Those Infinity's are efficient. They work good with lower power.
Picked `em up for $60 each. Well worth it.
I'm sure two TypeR 10's in a sealed box would be great too, but I would need a 900w amp to push them.

So many different ways to go. Too many choices really.
I just gotta get that Roadkill in there... and then I will be happy and content.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:38 AM   #2141
Alien Mantis
Secret Agent

SQ: So.... is the new "fad" TRANSMISSION LINE boxes now?

Seems like the stuff Bose has been doing for awhile. What they refer to as: "acoustic waveguide technology"

Old 09-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #2142
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

It does seem to be the thing. I'm not taking part in it...

I'm looking at an Imagine 10 SW in a sealed enclosure while I wait for the Legatia 13.