Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-09-2020, 12:24 AM   #1
remcafee

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3 door
Intermittent airbag light problem.

DTC: B1625 I have this problem of airbag light coming on about once a week when I start the vehicle, then when I go to shut I off and start back up it goes away, I tried cleaning electrical connectors, I tried swapping the driver side airbag sensor with the passenger and still code will come back for passenger side. I am slowly losing my mind, someone please help me! Do I need to check for shorted wiring?
remcafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:48 PM   #2
alanwagen

Drives: 2015Yaris, Son's car, 10 Prius
recalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by remcafee View Post
DTC: B1625 I have this problem of airbag light coming on about once a week when I start the vehicle, then when I go to shut I off and start back up it goes away, I tried cleaning electrical connectors, I tried swapping the driver side airbag sensor with the passenger and still code will come back for passenger side. I am slowly losing my mind, someone please help me! Do I need to check for shorted wiring?

Did you do your recalls? They are absolutely free. See below.
NHTSA Vehicle Safety Recalls

Recall Number
14V168000
Recall Date
04/09/2014
Component
AIR BAGS:FRONTAL:DRIVER SIDE INFLATOR MODULE
Summary

Toyota is recalling certain model year 2006-2008 RAV4, 2006-2010 Yaris, 2008-2010 Highlander, and 2009-2010 Tacoma, Corolla, Corolla Matrix and General Motors Pontiac Vibe vehicles. In the affected vehicles, the steering column assembly contains electrical connections to the driver's airbag module housed in a spiral cable assembly, which includes a Flexible Flat Cable (FFC). Due to the shape and location of the FFC's retainer, the FFC could become damaged when the steering wheel is turned.
Consequence

If the FFC is damaged, connectivity to the driver's air bag module could be lost and the air bag deactivated. The failure of the driver's air bag to deploy in the event of a crash that typically necessitates deployment increases the risk of injury to the driver.
What Owners Should Do

Toyota will notify the Toyota vehicle owners, and General Motors will notify the Pontiac Vibe owners. Toyota sent owners an interim notification letter in May 2014 to advise owners of the recall. Toyota will mail owners a second letter when remedy parts are available. General Motors sent Pontiac Vibe owners an Interim letter on June 20, 2014 notifying them that parts are currently unavailable. General Motors sent notices to the Pontiac Vibe owners on September 15, 2014, that a remedy is available. The recall began on October 27, 2014. Owners may contact Toyota at 1-800-331-4331. Owners may contact General Motors at 1-800-762-2737.
alanwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 01:59 AM   #3
remcafee

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwagen View Post
Did you do your recalls? They are absolutely free. See below.
NHTSA Vehicle Safety Recalls

Recall Number
14V168000
Recall Date
04/09/2014
Component
AIR BAGS:FRONTAL:DRIVER SIDE INFLATOR MODULE
Summary

Toyota is recalling certain model year 2006-2008 RAV4, 2006-2010 Yaris, 2008-2010 Highlander, and 2009-2010 Tacoma, Corolla, Corolla Matrix and General Motors Pontiac Vibe vehicles. In the affected vehicles, the steering column assembly contains electrical connections to the driver's airbag module housed in a spiral cable assembly, which includes a Flexible Flat Cable (FFC). Due to the shape and location of the FFC's retainer, the FFC could become damaged when the steering wheel is turned.
Consequence

If the FFC is damaged, connectivity to the driver's air bag module could be lost and the air bag deactivated. The failure of the driver's air bag to deploy in the event of a crash that typically necessitates deployment increases the risk of injury to the driver.
What Owners Should Do

Toyota will notify the Toyota vehicle owners, and General Motors will notify the Pontiac Vibe owners. Toyota sent owners an interim notification letter in May 2014 to advise owners of the recall. Toyota will mail owners a second letter when remedy parts are available. General Motors sent Pontiac Vibe owners an Interim letter on June 20, 2014 notifying them that parts are currently unavailable. General Motors sent notices to the Pontiac Vibe owners on September 15, 2014, that a remedy is available. The recall began on October 27, 2014. Owners may contact Toyota at 1-800-331-4331. Owners may contact General Motors at 1-800-762-2737.
Yes I have, it is not related to recalls, it is a different problem separate from the recalls. I have no clue what to do at this point other than replace my wiring harness.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:15 AM   #4
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
If you plugged another sensor in and it still threw a circuit code it indicates the problem isn't with the sensor but with the wiring or internal to the airbag module. I can't say I've ever messed with an airbag system before. I would guess it's only safe to check the wires for continuity with the battery disconnected because of the risk of you sending a signal which triggers the airbag. I would wonder if the wires have rubbed through somewhere between the sensor and the cable grommet through the bulkhead. It might not be necessary to replace the harness. If you can find where the break is you could repair it with one of those solder shrink connectors.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:55 AM   #5
BLH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
The 2007 service manuals. Indicate the SRS system has a back up power source.
When you work on it. Allow at least 90 seconds after the ignition is turned off and the battery negative is disconnected. Before doing any work on the system or it is possible the air bag may deploy accidentally.
BLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:15 AM   #6
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
I would leave 10 minutes once the power has been disconnected on any airbag system.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:08 AM   #7
seatech30

Drives: Yaris 2008 Sedan
I've been noticing my airbag light randomly turn on while driving. If I turn the car off, and back on, it goes away too. Mine doesn't seem to generate a code though, I ran a scan with Bluetooth ODBII and torque, and didn't show anything. Wonder if it's the LED wiring grabbing power somehow. I saw it come on after a semi hard brake on a downhill slope.
seatech30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:42 AM   #8
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
Quote:
Originally Posted by seatech30 View Post
I've been noticing my airbag light randomly turn on while driving. If I turn the car off, and back on, it goes away too. Mine doesn't seem to generate a code though, I ran a scan with Bluetooth ODBII and torque, and didn't show anything. Wonder if it's the LED wiring grabbing power somehow. I saw it come on after a semi hard brake on a downhill slope.
I'm not sure that the torque app can read airbag codes.
I was under the impression you needed expensive equipment to fetch those codes...although I could be wrong

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 12:45 PM   #9
seatech30

Drives: Yaris 2008 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstyota View Post
I'm not sure that the torque app can read airbag codes.
I was under the impression you needed expensive equipment to fetch those codes...although I could be wrong
I'll have to swing by an oreillys next time it's lit and someone is with me. Can leave my car on by itself where I live...

PS. I took the car in and asked about recalls when I first got it. They told me all recalls had been done, unless they were lying (wouldn't put it past them,) it must be something else.
seatech30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 04:08 PM   #10
remcafee

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoidberg444 View Post
If you plugged another sensor in and it still threw a circuit code it indicates the problem isn't with the sensor but with the wiring or internal to the airbag module. I can't say I've ever messed with an airbag system before. I would guess it's only safe to check the wires for continuity with the battery disconnected because of the risk of you sending a signal which triggers the airbag. I would wonder if the wires have rubbed through somewhere between the sensor and the cable grommet through the bulkhead. It might not be necessary to replace the harness. If you can find where the break is you could repair it with one of those solder shrink connectors.
Ok so I have been digging in a little deeper, I have done a thorough inspection of the sea under the seats, I unplugged ever single connector, sprayed them with electrical contact cleaner and plugged them all back in, only time will tell if that helps solve the problem, we shall see and I’ll let you all know.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:26 AM   #11
Jennifer1
Jennifer1

Drives: Rav4
The airbag warning light should only stay on when there's a problem with the airbag system in the car. Every time you turn on the car, the computer in the vehicle checks the system. The light comes on for a few seconds and then goes off to show that it's working. You'll need to reset the airbag light in this case. I think this is common knowledge though, it shouldn't be a problem. I have a rav4 and I feel like Toyota is a really amazing car brand. I only had a problem with it through the years and it was super easy to resolve, just got a toyota rav4 transmission ecu repair and I've never had any more problems with it since then, so I don't think I'll switch to another brand any time soon.

Last edited by Jennifer1; 05-14-2021 at 05:42 AM.
Jennifer1 is offline   Reply With Quote