Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-04-2012, 11:05 PM   #73
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
"We will slay these evil back seats wherever they may travel. They may have power, but we have justice on our side!"
Old 06-04-2012, 11:09 PM   #74
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:13 PM   #75
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by naossoan View Post
Where can I buy the solid bench backs eat platform thing, for when the seats are removed? Really want one of these!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
What?

I'm assuming he means the seat frame only, the part that attaches to the floor...it makes you wonder what could have happened to his.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:55 AM   #76
LugNut

Drives: 2007 2DR Liftback
Question Need rear seat frame, and belts' error lights/codes?

It's way too freaking hot, windy, and scorching sunny to work much outside again (104F predicted today), so I'm continuing the Yaris mods and other odd jobs.

One goal is to reversibly convert the 2DR Liftback to a two seater. I've got the back deck, etc., spare tire, and jack out, and see the Torx(R) bolts that I need to remove to pull out the split rear seats. Yes, I'll be keeping them, sorry!

But, for the future deck that I'll be putting in (plans/pics later), I see that I'll need the lower rear seat frame (welded black tubes in the early pics in this thread) for a bench rear seat to support the new deck. I see it for sale OEM for about $105 including shipping from various discount Toyota sources; it's called the "Front Leg Assy".

But ...

Q1: If anyone has a spare lower seat frame in near-mint condition (for a liftback, NOT the sedan) for noticeably cheaper, and is near Kansas City, please let me know! I'll likely order an OEM one in a few days or so if I don't hear back from anyone.

Q2: For those who disconnected/removed the rear seat belts, are you getting error codes/dummy lights illuminated? I'll likely keep the upper portions in place though.

Thanks in advance!
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:47 PM   #77
LugNut

Drives: 2007 2DR Liftback
Seat bolts, etc.

I just finished removing the split seats, and vacuuming up.

For my 2007, all the mounting bolts were Torx(R) E10's. The bolts definitely have undersized heads!

There are four on the back (two for each seat), and the two outermost were somewhat corroded from underneath. They are not exposed from below. I used a 3/8 breaker bar to start them, then sprayed WD-40 under each head (from above), screwed them back in, then out a bit further. Kept repeating (a few times), and they came out nicely.

There are five down low on the metal bracket -- pop loose the three plastic covers first. These bolts all came out fairly easily.

Then tilt up the seat bottoms to expose two more identical E10 bolts for each seat. I did the smaller/right seat first, and took it out, to make room for removing the bigger/left seat. The seat belts' retainers are attached to the left seat, and come out with them. There were no wires to detach; the seats' actuator wire stay as is.

Take the seats out through the back, over the transom. I used a big padded dog bed to protect the car. The seats are bulky/heavy/sharp edges/etc., so gloves and a helper would have been wise.

The split seats, especially the left, are heavy! With the spare tire, etc. out too, should be big weight savings as noted previously in this thread. I'll continue to carry a full can of Fix-A-Flat with me, but for long drives I'll throw the tire, jack, and tools back in the car on top of the coming deck.

At least for now, I put the bolts back in, a little more than finger tight so they won't disappear.

It's quite roomy in the back of the Yaris now. I'm debating removing the center arm rest/rear cup holder too, but the front seats, when slid fully back, are basically flush with the cup holder.
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #78
FrankM

Drives: 2008 toyota yaris/2000 mr2
ill leave the seat in the car , told the wife she will have to drop about 75 Lbs , now thats going to leave a mark.
FrankM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #79
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
after taking out all the rear belts and seats there are no dummy lights at all. Most people who take a look don't think there was a back seat ever, because the room back there looks so small.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:45 AM   #80
Gigi is my girl <3

Drives: 08' 3Dr Hatchback 122,000
Can't wait to take my split seats out. I love them, but living away from family I never use them. I'm stoked to have more space for camping and roadtrips! I'm looking to build up a small platform to stash my gear under and sleep on top. I've done this before, at 5'6", I can sleep diagonal with no problem. If anyone has suggestions about the platform, I'd love to hear them.
Gigi is my girl <3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:21 PM   #81
Rigojr

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2008
I have a 2008 Yaris Sedan and the back seat it a bit different to take off. My mom took it to get shampood and returned it to me with the back seat loose on one side. Can anyone please advise on what to look for and how to tighten the loose passenger side please???
Rigojr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #82
Gigi is my girl <3

Drives: 08' 3Dr Hatchback 122,000
So, my little weakling arms couldn't get the bolts loose. I had the dealership remove them when they replaced my rear shocks! No more rear seats, more room for the roadtrip to Arches!!
Gigi is my girl <3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:02 AM   #83
vten

Drives: red bare bone yaris hb 3dr
just did my rear seat removal today , I had to cut one of the rear torx bolt with my recripo saw. the head of the bolt was actually snapped in 2 pieces !!.

now I can start with my audio project ...need to finish asap tho ...it's soooo noisy with the bare metal !
vten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:22 AM   #84
cutchin

Drives: Yaris
Back Seat Removal Sedan

After going thru He** to get the back seat cushion out on my 2007 sedan, I wanted to share with others how you do it. You pull straight up on the from of the seat. It is super hard to pull it loose. You'll swear that you're going to break something, but it will come loose. I had to call the dealer to find this out. The previous posts on this thread talk about the LB, but it wasn't clear if that also applied to the sedan. I couldn't find anywhere that the sedan was specifically mentioned. I thought this information might be helpful.
cutchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:44 PM   #85
David gillespie
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Toyota yards
Car camping

I am beginning work now on a similar modification to my 2007 Yaris. First I am removing the back seat and the front passenger seat, then I am planning to level the passenger side of the vehicle from front to back so as to create a comfy place to sleep. I don't know if it will look as pretty as what you've got there but i hope to build something functional. My purpose in doing this is to facilitate a 4 month trip around the US. I intend on sleeping in my car for much of the trip.
David gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:03 PM   #86
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by David gillespie View Post
I am beginning work now on a similar modification to my 2007 Yaris. First I am removing the back seat and the front passenger seat, then I am planning to level the passenger side of the vehicle from front to back so as to create a comfy place to sleep. I don't know if it will look as pretty as what you've got there but i hope to build something functional. My purpose in doing this is to facilitate a 4 month trip around the US. I intend on sleeping in my car for much of the trip.
Please keep us posted with your mods re this if you can . This summer I plan to hit some of the U.S. locations my Yaris hasn't 'seen' yet, and I was thinking about removing the passenger seat only (not the rear seat) to create more room and to use for sleeping in a pinch (with the rear seat folded down).
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:33 AM   #87
El Kapitan
Senior Veteran

Drives: 2007 5 door hatchback
i know you've been gone for years but thanks for posting this. i love this forum.
El Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:07 PM   #88
attrapereves

Drives: 2010 Yaris 2dr 5spd
I really want to do this as well. I'd love the have the increased storage space.
attrapereves is offline   Reply With Quote