Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 08:01 PM   #145
forpinks

Drives: 03 Toyota Corolla S modded,
I used 87 on a 3.8 Chrysler rental van (1000miles ODO) with 6 passengers and an icebox and I have to absolutely floor it to go 75MPH uphill at I-15... when we went back (got mad with the slow climbing speed) and bought damn 91 eventhough it's a rental and I did'nt regret it since I can climb a hill at 85-100MPH (still floored) running with an IS with a radar detector.

All I can say is I am definitely satisfied of the 91octane gas even if I pay the high price!

BUT YOU JUST GOTTA LOVE IT....
Old 06-23-2007, 08:45 PM   #146
jdium
Mr Attitude

Drives: Blazing Blue 5 Spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by forpinks View Post
Go buy a "Maximum Boost" book and it will tell you that a higher octane gas will give you more power compared to lower octane gas.

there is a comparison on the N/A and Turbo there really is a big difference especially if your running RPMs higher than 4500 on N/A... The turbo with high octane gas is damn more powerful than low octane.

Also the 106HP (not high performance? I know.) is achieved using high grade high octane gasoline for testing (Since Japan don't have anything lower than 93 octane they even have 120-125 octane) the engine power will drop to 100flywheel HP when you use 87 gas and it will make more gunk to the engine because of the slight combustion difference even with the knock sensors, remember the 1NZ-FE is japan made and tested so It should run 90+octane and will get 51MPG elsewhere except US (may be possible with acetone) which don't have anything higher than 93 basic fuel 100 octane cost like 4.30 vs 3.30 91...

(It's new here in the USA and Toyota USA wouldn't put the 91 reccomended fuel since it will hurt sales...)

Hope this helps!!!
Ignorance is bliss eh? Higher octane will NOT give you more power in a Yaris. Go buy some dyno time if you can't believe me. It will NOT give you higher mpg either. Put the car on jack stands, and idle a tank away of each if you can't believe me either.

On a turbo car, higher octane allows more boost, thus higher hp.

Knock sensors have nothing to do with engine "gunk" buildup.

If it was possible for the Yaris to get 51 mpg in the U.S., it would. Why would Toyota not want a car that destroys every other car in its class? Try 51 kpg maybe.

The Yaris is sold in America. I think the Toyota engineers are smarter than us.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:09 AM   #147
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdium View Post
Ignorance is bliss eh? ......
On a turbo car, higher octane allows more boost, thus higher hp.

...... I think the Toyota engineers are smarter than us.
I'm sure the Toyota engineers aren't any dumber than us. That is why they say the Yaris run's with 87 octane, and that is why cars have had ECU's installed for the last few decades....don't you believe there is a reason...it's not because they cost a lot. They allow the timing to be retarded in a load situation to prevent knocking with the high compression engines (above 9 to 1 compression) in a load situation like maintaining 60-70 mph up a steep hill while using 87 octane.....this is not the optimum timing for power or gas milage but it keeps the engine from self destructing.

My 53 Buick I used to have, had no timing marks. The shop manual said to said to set timing by turning the distributer until it ran good, then test drive by accelerating or going up a hill. If there was a knock go back and retard the timing,then repeat until only a very faint knock was heard. This is fine and dandy until you got a batch of poor gas, then it would knock like crazy. You could increase milage by advancing timing (set according to the gas you used) and driving consertively. ECU's have changed this to the better, but 'good' gas does work.

During slow acceleration or maintaining speed on flat land the ECU allows the optimum timing because knock isn't present (even with 87 octane).....most hypers drive in this condition 99.9% of the time while the common everyday driver is in this condition 95% (guesstimate at maximum). So theoreticaly, scientifically, or any other way you think about it....the very concientious driver sees no gain from higher octane, the common driver may see better milage on a small fraction of their driving, and the leadfoot would see the best gains. Granted this is a small percentage gain over a very small percentage of a persons driving....but it is a gain.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:11 AM   #148
forpinks

Drives: 03 Toyota Corolla S modded,
^^^ Go to Toyota Canada.... it clearly states that it gets 41MPG city and 51MPG highway they measure fuel economy in metric using L/100KM and they don't use KPG, also they have high octane gas to give you better fuel economy...

Don't be a cheapo and face the truth that higher octane gasoline performs better!

(Why does the US form 87 octane anyway? are they the only ones and want to be unique?) I even tried octane 125 at the airport for my AE92 and it definitely cleansed the engine and gave better power and response I drove it like I stole the damn thing.... (one thing I noticed is that the cold engine start white smoke disapeared when I used a tank of 125octane)

I'm gonna try half a tank of octane 100 for the tC and see if it does something nice.

BUT YOU JUST GOTTA LOVE IT....
Old 06-24-2007, 01:22 AM   #149
njyaris
YARIS NEWBIE

Drives: YARIS 07 LIFTBACK
Send a message via AIM to njyaris Send a message via Yahoo to njyaris
87 is for lawnmowers .. you decide!
Old 06-24-2007, 01:33 AM   #150
fu_im_from_texas

Drives: Liftback
Send a message via AIM to fu_im_from_texas
Quote:
... I think the Toyota engineers are smarter than us.
...toyota has spent 100s of 1000s of dollars looking at these issues. toyota says use 87 ... end of argument...
Old 06-24-2007, 11:31 AM   #151
WRBlue

Drives: Yaris 3 Door, 04 WRX, 69 Lotus
Quote:
Originally Posted by forpinks View Post
Also the 106HP (not high performance? I know.) is achieved using high grade high octane gasoline for testing (Since Japan don't have anything lower than 93 octane they even have 120-125 octane) the engine power will drop to 100flywheel HP when you use 87 gas and it will make more gunk to the engine because of the slight combustion difference even with the knock sensors, remember the 1NZ-FE is japan made and tested so It should run 90+octane and will get 51MPG elsewhere except US (may be possible with acetone) which don't have anything higher than 93 basic fuel 100 octane cost like 4.30 vs 3.30 91...
The rest of the world measures octane different than us in North America. In the EU and Australia, they advertise RON. Here we use an average of RON and MON. MON is a lower number than RON. YOU CAN'T COMPARE OCTANE RATINGS BETWEEN NORTH AMERICA AND THE REST OF THE WORLD.

The ignorance in this thread makes my head hurt.

Octane only measures the autoignition characteristics of gasoline. How easily it will explode without a spark.

THE ONLY THING THAT WILL CAUSE MPG TO INCREASE ARE O2 READINGS.

If the O2 sensor reads the car running rich, it'll lean it out within safe parameters. Lean = less fuel used = higher MPG.

HIGHER OCTANE DOES NOT CHANGE THE AIR-FUEL MIXTURE.

Higher octane gasoline can only prevent detonation. If your detonating with 87 octane, something is wrong with your engine/ECU.

A car runs a base timing and advances or retards it only within set parameters. And those parameters are ones set by Toyota Engineers as to be safe with low octane gasoline. The computer will not exceed those if you put high octane gas in and magically the computer knows.

Besides, there is no sensor that can tell what octane is used. To measure octane, you have to find out the percentage of volume is iso-octane and the percentage of volume is heptane. NO production car has the ability to do that...

And anyway, advancing timing does not cause less fuel to be used. It cause more power to be made from the fuel.

Everything else in this thread is anecdotal evidence. There are many, many, many variables. Elevation, wind, drag, tires, air pressure, surface type, load, weight, etc. The most important thing is repeatability. If you REALLY want to prove higher mileage, rent a couple weeks of dyno time in a lab. Control all the environmental variables to be constant for the whole week (temp, humidity, air flow, tire pressures). Empty the car 100% of all gasoline. put a predetermined mass of fuel in the car of a certain octane. Run about 40 tests and take the mean. IIRC 40 is the number where statistically each incremental test after that does not statistically significantly change the mean. Now change the octane and repeat all 40 tests.

Then and only then you can make assumptions if octane can change MPG.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:40 PM   #152
fu_im_from_texas

Drives: Liftback
Send a message via AIM to fu_im_from_texas
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRBlue View Post

The ignorance in this thread makes my head hurt.

...a keyboard and a strong opinion make me an expert on this topic ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRBlue View Post

Everything else in this thread is anecdotal evidence. There are many, many, many variables. Elevation, wind, drag, tires, air pressure, surface type, load, weight, etc. The most important thing is repeatability. If you REALLY want to prove higher mileage, rent a couple weeks of dyno time in a lab. Control all the environmental variables to be constant for the whole week (temp, humidity, air flow, tire pressures). Empty the car 100% of all gasoline. put a predetermined mass of fuel in the car of a certain octane. Run about 40 tests and take the mean. IIRC 40 is the number where statistically each incremental test after that does not statistically significantly change the mean. Now change the octane and repeat all 40 tests.

Then and only then you can make assumptions if octane can change MPG.
great idea for a test...but even if someone does perform a scientific experiment i, for one, am not willing to let the statistical facts get in the way of my own strong opinion (sarcasm intended!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fu_im_from_texas View Post
...toyota has spent 100s of 1000s of dollars looking at these issues. toyota says use 87 ... end of argument...
toyota has already performed these experiments....toyota recomends 87...

Old 06-24-2007, 03:14 PM   #153
churp

You must have a different owners manual, mine states:

SELECT OCTANE RATING 87 (RESEARCH OCTANE NUMBER 91) OR HIGHER.

This is page 178 in my owners manual. Obviously they know what a few of us are trying to pass on here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The tests have been done before higher octane was ever put on the market (probably the 30's). The ECU has taken the "must have" higher octane in your car away....but it hasn't removed the fact that performance and milage will improve in most engines with it. Note that I am not saying it is cheaper to put the higher octane in....but where I live it's very feasable (Iowa and South Dakota 89 octane is the same price or cheaper than 87, and in Minnesota I get 89 for 2 cents more than 87) and I use 89 octane.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:32 PM   #154
blacksan

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Liftback
Fuel

Ok, I got it now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snapshot 2007-06-24 15-42-34.jpg (154.9 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by blacksan; 06-24-2007 at 03:37 PM. Reason: me screwed it up!
Old 06-24-2007, 05:28 PM   #155
jdium
Mr Attitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by churp View Post
The tests have been done before higher octane was ever put on the market (probably the 30's).
lol. Ya. Back when everything ran on leaded gas...

my head hurts...
Old 06-24-2007, 11:28 PM   #156
churp

Quote:
lol. Ya. Back when everything ran on leaded gas...

my head hurts...
Don't quite understand Cars ran on unleaded in the US until 1970. I'm pretty sure sex was even invented by then!

No, I'm actually positive first hand, sex was invented before 1970.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:58 AM   #157
jdium
Mr Attitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by churp View Post
Don't quite understand Cars ran on unleaded in the US until 1970. I'm pretty sure sex was even invented by then!

No, I'm actually positive first hand, sex was invented before 1970.
Which brings me to my other point, don't smoke crack...

Most every gas was LEADED (no UN) before 1970. Leaded gas has a realative octane rating of todays "race' gas, like 110 or something...
Old 06-25-2007, 01:30 AM   #158
Moose
Resident Redneck

Drives: 07 Polar White Yaris Sedan 5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Olavich View Post
Your 'test' was not scientific....did you every consider that you could fill your tank up with 87 octane and drive your same route 10 times and get ten different MPG results? Your test lacks controls to be able to draw conclusions. Funny how you do your test once, and draw conclusions....did you attend college?
WOW. I just saw this.

Is this guy still here, or has he been banned?

1) ...did you every consider that you could fill your tank up with 87 octane and drive your same route 10 times and get ten different MPG results?

Yes, and they are usually within .3-.5 MPG each time. I actually do the math and keep a log. That's as close to scientific as we can get.

2) Your test lacks controls to be able to draw conclusions.

As does your opinion.

3) ....did you attend college?

Yes, Georgia Tech. I actually know the science- you think you know the science. And don't try any cute comebacks- I'll just look at my degree and my paycheck and giggle.

Will there be anything else Pavel? I generally reserve arguing on the internet for times when I have nothing more adult to do, but watching you unravel and make a fool of yourself is worth it.
1985 Toyota Celica GTS Coupe 5M- track whip
http://www.importlounge.com
Old 06-25-2007, 01:31 AM   #159
WRBlue

Drives: Yaris 3 Door, 04 WRX, 69 Lotus
Unleaded gas didn't become common till the mid 80s. I remember when you had to hunt for the unleaded.

Leaded gas of the 70s was still 87 octane. Its just Lead is a knock detterant and so its a whole lot cheaper to make 87 octane with lead in it ;) . I'm not sure if the reason all the good race gas is leaded is cause its too expensive to make 110-120 octane without lead or if its actually impossible. You can get unleaded race gas up to about 100 or 102 octane...
Old 06-25-2007, 01:34 AM   #160
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
{ OFF TOPIC }
As far as I know, sex was invented in 1976.

Uh... what was the topic about again?

(scrolling back to page one)
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:43 AM   #161
Moose
Resident Redneck

Drives: 07 Polar White Yaris Sedan 5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
{ OFF TOPIC }
As far as I know, sex was invented in 1976.
Don't taunt the married animals.

Sorry, I just don't like mean people- usually mean and idiot go hand in hand, so it's that much more maddening.

I'm done, I promise.

Back on topic.
1985 Toyota Celica GTS Coupe 5M- track whip
http://www.importlounge.com
Old 06-25-2007, 03:58 AM   #162
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
wow, my thread is going to start a war all over again.
Closed Thread