Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-01-2010, 11:00 PM   #1
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Finally got one - 2011

Well, I guess I am now official. I took delivery of my 2011 on Friday. Super white three-door, manual transmission with power package and cruise control (plus the mandatory optional floor mats). I was hoping to get a 2010 with power package and install the cc myself using the information here. BUT, they (Carsdirect.com) could only find one (red) and it had "lot damage". So, I went ahead and bought the 2011. I couldn't wait for them to find another because my DD crapped out on me and I needed a new DD right away.

Being a 2011, no incentives from Toyota, only a little discount from Carsdirect... $17,300 OTD...

So far, its been a fun little runabout.

Question: Is there a break-in procedure? I couldn't find any mention of breaking in the car in any of the manuals I received.

Anyway, cool website with lots of info. I am looking into getting a coolant temp gauge. Makes me nervous driving around without knowing if the engine is running hot or not...
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:11 PM   #2
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
If the engine is running too hot, instead of a green temp signal, you'll get a blood red one. And if things are running fine, you won't have a temp signal at all showing. I wouldn't worry too much about it :)

Break in procedure, nothing much really. Just drive the car and that's all their is to it. Some people will say about varying
your rpms and speeds for a little while, but if your driving the car like you normally would...don't you vary your speed and rpms
anyways due to stop signs and lights? Yeah, so just driving it is more than enough :)

Not sure how prices are out in Cali but $17.3 seems pretty high for a Yaris. I mean with adding in the power package and all, it's the right price, but in the same ballpark of what you spent, you could have probably got something a bit nicer. The Yaris though is a great car, it should serve you very well for a long time!
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:24 AM   #3
Yaristeve

Yeah, I know about the red thermometer and the green thermometer but it still makes me worry when I can't tell what is going on...

I'd say 90% of my driving is freeways. So, I am varying the speed when I am on the freeway...

My "problem" was I wanted a two door, manual transmission, a/c, cruise, power locks and windows. I discovered that there are very few two door coupes and finding a manual trannys is like looking for hens' teeth. Even Scions start at $17k.

Plus, of that $17.3k, TTL is about $1.9k

So, it is what it is...
Old 11-02-2010, 03:11 AM   #4
BluYrs
ヴィッツ ドライバー

Drives: 2006 3d 1.0 Linea Sol
I was looking for just about the same package when I was buying my car (sans the cruise) plus it had to be a gas engine (lots of small diesels around here). Most available options were 5D or auto, so getting the right combo took some researching. Glad you got what you were looking for.

The price does seem a bit high but hey, you got exactly what you wanted and that's gotta count for something.

Hope you enjoy driving your Yaris and hope it serves you well.

The blue one
BluYrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:18 PM   #5
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaristeve View Post
Question: Is there a break-in procedure? I couldn't find any mention of breaking in the car in any of the manuals I received.
Congrats on your new purchase! As far as break-in period goes, just drive it carefully for the first 1000 miles and you'll be fine like detroiter said. Also, seeing as how the gas pedal is sensitive, try to avoid revving. I hear it'll help you maintain higher MPG's in the long run.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:10 PM   #6
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Nobody else has temp gauges and all the cars run just fine. Besides they probably arent accurate anyway. If you want to break the car in anyways just dont exceed 60 mph for the first 1000 miles. Then change the oil and filter. Its not necessary but you might feel better.

Good Luck
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:30 PM   #7
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBack View Post
Congrats on your new purchase! As far as break-in period goes, just drive it carefully for the first 1000 miles and you'll be fine like detroiter said. Also, seeing as how the gas pedal is sensitive, try to avoid revving. I hear it'll help you maintain higher MPG's in the long run.
I was told by the dealer the same thing about the first 1000 miles. They actually said to keep it around 60mph on the freeways, etc. I was driving the car home from Minnesota to Maine so I will honestly say that I was cruisin normally around 75-80 on the FW however I had to in order to stay in the flow of traffic many times and not cause issues for other drivers. I have 45k on the car after 4 yrs and get 34 city/38-42 highway.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:07 PM   #8
Yaristeve

Thanks, everyone!!! I have abot 700 miles on it now. Kept it mostly at 60 for the first 400. Been cruising at 65 lately with bursts to 70-75. It is amazing; I've been getting 40+ MPG.

I finished my first "mod": a set of Scion 7-spoke wheels. I wonder why they don't come this way instead of the 15 X 5.5 alloys that are available...

Up next: tinted windows followed by lowering springs...
Old 11-07-2010, 01:00 AM   #9
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Drives: 2010 1E7 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via MSN to .Kevin.
I have a break in list, just have to find it if you PM e asking for it I might be able to find it on my day off.

First 1000 KMS are the MOST important, my way of breaking it in though wasnt by list/booklet I just drove it normally through all types of terrain (Long road, Stopping city type, Up and down hill, turning swerving etc)
Old 11-07-2010, 09:33 AM   #10
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
It has to be said...

Old 11-07-2010, 03:47 PM   #11
hachi-roku_fan

Drives: 1986 Toyota Corolla
Whered you buy yours? Ive been looking for a white 3dr hatch in 5 spd forever but dealers keep telling me they dont have one WTF
hachi-roku_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:18 PM   #12
Yaristeve

Kevin - Thanks but I've been racking up miles fast; I already have 800 miles now so break-in is almost done.

MadMax - unfortunately I don't have a digital camera so no pics...

Hachiroku-fan - I bought mine through Carsdirect.com. I let them do the search. I took delivery at North Hollywood Toyota but they traded for it from a dealer somewhere in OC. I know what you mean; everyone along the way kept tellling me how difficult it is to find a manual Yaris, especially with cruise control...
Old 11-07-2010, 10:28 PM   #13
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaristeve View Post
MadMax - unfortunately I don't have a digital camera so no pics...
What, you got no friends? Heck, even cell phone pics would work, but you can't come bragging on here about your new Yaris without sharing pics with the rest of us!
Old 11-07-2010, 10:56 PM   #14
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
. Enjoy your new terraplane .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:40 PM   #15
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
I was told by the dealer the same thing about the first 1000 miles. They actually said to keep it around 60mph on the freeways, etc. I was driving the car home from Minnesota to Maine so I will honestly say that I was cruisin normally around 75-80 on the FW however I had to in order to stay in the flow of traffic many times and not cause issues for other drivers. I have 45k on the car after 4 yrs and get 34 city/38-42 highway.
Did the same exact thing, and after 60K miles I still get 37 MPG overall.

What I meant was don't do any of that stupid Fast & Furious ricer driving, that's all. If the urge is there then wait til after break-in, followed by a trip to the track

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:33 PM   #16
RABYARIS

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3D AT
Congrats....
Old 11-19-2010, 07:37 PM   #17
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Drives: 2010 1E7 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via MSN to .Kevin.
PICS FFS PICS
Old 11-19-2010, 10:36 PM   #18
Yaristeve

I'm working on getting pics. Just got my windows tinted :) 38% all sides 25% on hatch window.