Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-12-2017, 01:00 PM   #1
lasherza

Drives: Toyota Yaris 1.3
Yaris 1.3 T3+AT Hatch 08

Hi,

I have a suspected issue with the water pump system. The vehicle is a 1.3 T3 08 Automatic Hatch. I think the model year is 2010 , not sure what the 08 is but my late father bought the vehicle new in 2010, At the moment the car is in fact running with no apparent issues.

I discovered the damage after hearing a strange noise in the wheel area at very slow speeds, almost like a tin can or loose bolt was in the drum or something ,was rattling. I suspect this could be an unrelated issue, as the braking system is fine .

So what i saw was the water pump centrifuge, or the piece that sticks out, i think is the water pump, apologies i am a VERY novice mechanically with re cars. A broken piece or two.... please see pic attached here. from under the unit... I see there is no belt running off this piece. Is this how this vehicle is configured..?

Any advice is appreciated!! . Would i need to replace this whole pump ASAP , or just this end piece?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Thanks!
Laurence
Attached Images
File Type: jpg waterpump.jpg (57.3 KB, 15 views)
lasherza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 01:20 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
That is not the water pump. It is the a/c compressor. Since there currently is no belt running to it, I suspect that pulley damage occurred quite some time ago, and a shorter, by-pass the a/c belt was put in. Your car currently has no air conditioning.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:40 PM   #3
lasherza

Drives: Toyota Yaris 1.3
You are too clever! - that is exactly the case - No aircon !! - Whew . Thanks so much for clearing this up! . I was worried it could affect the engine somehow.

At least now i know , so you saying this unit will have to be completely replaced for the aircon to work again?
lasherza is offline   Reply With Quote