Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-14-2014, 07:25 PM   #1
frostbitten

Drives: yaris 07 3dr
engine overheats, no cabin heat, fresh serpentine - 07 yar 3dr

Hey all! I haven't posted here in years. COLLEGE!

Anyway,
My yaris has been having an odd noise. It was sounding kind of clunky, not at all the smooth purr it once had. It had a groaning noise like a go cart at slow speeds. That all stopped when one day I was driving a few blocks after leaving my house when I heard a SNAP and found the sound had copletely gone away and the car was silent as a snail. It still drove fine but I saw the battery light on and knew something wasn't too great. I drove home and popped the hood to find the serpentine belt snapped and lying in the engine cavity like a discarded shoelace.

I googled how to replace it and had a new one in there later that day (got a ride to pick up the belt, thank you). With the new belt I started 'er up and it was back to working. There was still a not beautiful engine noise. But, on top of that there was and still remains a distinct squeeling noise as I drive.

I can't recreate the noise whilst parked in my driveway unless I turn the steering wheel to the extreme left or right and hold it while accelerating. I haven't gotten the chance to let someone do that while I look to verify where the sound is coming from yet.

While driving, when I first start and the engine is still cold from the winter temps, it performs normally. Sounds okay. Once the engine "cool" light goes off it soon becomes a squeeling deamon. Not only that, but usually what signals the beginning of my heater working isn't that anymore. The heat completely doesn't work at this moment. It had not always been like that, however.

In the before time, after I replaced the serpentine and it was squeeling but all seemed fine. My heat worked, everything worked. The car squeeled. It slowly decayed in sustainability; the overheat light would come on for brief moments and the heater would work sporatically. Now no heat and the engine warms up twice as fast as it ever did. The distance it takes for the engine cool like to shut off is incredibly short, even in the coldest mornings.

I definitely need to tighten the belt, I know because I didn't use a crowbar or other lever when I reattached the alternator.

But.

Does that seem like the only problem here?

I'm trying to fix my car myself before I take it in to a mechanic so that I'm not funneling money into a money pit of old car. It just crossed over 102 thousand miles. Hope it lasts another round! Great efficient car.
frostbitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:39 PM   #2
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
sure u got the belt on right also the noise could be the water pump...they will make noise before they leak on yaris its the pump bearing.
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:10 PM   #3
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
Check coolant level.
Remove the belt & spin the pulleys by hand. Any of them loose, wobbly, tight, ect?
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:45 AM   #4
frostbitten

working on it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-x-fire View Post
Check coolant level.
Remove the belt & spin the pulleys by hand. Any of them loose, wobbly, tight, ect?
I had checked and refilled the coolant to the fill line a few days ago, it didn't seem to change anything. Looking back into it I can't tell if there is still coolant. Added enough to cover the fill line. Also, picked up a crow bar today and just tightened the belt via the alternator position. Bout to drive it in and drop it off at a shop, hope it runs better on the way. They will do the dirty work and give the news, will update thread.

Thanks for the responses!!
Old 03-17-2014, 04:14 AM   #5
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
It's the waterpump. My brother had the same problem to his Honda Integra over heated like crazy.The water pump bearing was squeaking on revs the pump was replaced and it's running fine.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:58 AM   #6
frostbitten

yes the mechanic said it was the wter pump

$$$$$ later

fixed.

I thought it was the water pump, not that I know anything about cars, but it sounded like it was the only thing that could be wrong.

Oh well, got it fixed and it's running super smooth.

Tags
2007 yaris, heater, overheat, serpentine belt, squealing