Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-02-2014, 09:01 AM   #1
BobTheYaris

Drives: '08 Yaris HB 2 dr
Valves Tapping

My '09 Yaris has 114k miles on it and the valves seem to be gotten louder over the last 10k or so miles. I did 86 the stupid cover years ago so its not that. I did just recently put in a lighter steel flywheel when I replaced the clutch. It does sound fine when driving and no lights are on. I'm just a tad worried about the knocking during idle, especially on cold start up. And I've been running Royal Purple Synthetic since I got the car 2 1/2 years and 68k miles ago.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
BobTheYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:49 AM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Check the valve clearances. If you did the clutch and flywheel yourself this shouldn't be difficult. If they are really loose there's your problem. You have to record the clearances and remove the camshafts to adjust however which is more involved.

However, in my experience with (motorcycle) engines with this system, the clearances usually get smaller not larger. (the valve seats wear) Which can lead to burnt valves! So you REALLY want to do the adjustment if the clearance is out of tolerance on the low side.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:14 PM   #3
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
I thought the same before and it turned out that it was just the injectors. From my understanding of most toyota car enthusiasts I've talked to, toyotas tend to always have loud injectors that sound like ticking/tapping even when new.

You very well could be right on your actual valves, I'm just trying to help out.
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:43 PM   #4
BobTheYaris

Drives: '08 Yaris HB 2 dr
Injectors sound possible. Most of the miles are highway so Im not sure they'd be out.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
BobTheYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:59 PM   #5
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Now that Detroiter mentions it Ive also heard injectors can make this noise.

But CHECKING the clearances is pretty easy, its free if you do it yourself, and if theyre good next step: injectors.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:37 AM   #6
barefoot_bajan

Drives: 02 vitz rs
no walkthrough?