Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-06-2011, 09:30 PM   #1
teddy

Drives: 2008 5-door hatchback
Send a message via MSN to teddy
Transponder key programming

Hey folks, does anybody know how to program a new transponder key without needing to take it in to the dealership?

I bought a new key with the keyless entry remote off eBay some months ago and finally got around to getting the key cut. The keyless entry bit is programmed, easy to do with CTScott's instructions and they key is cut. It opens the doors and cranks the engine but as expected does not start it. The engine immobilizer definitely doesn't recognize it as the light on the dash continues blinking.

Here are the instructions I've tried (copied and pasted from other sources). I was feeling pretty good about #2 but it did not work. I didn't give any of these more than one try because it was way, way too hot to be sitting in the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.automotiveforums.com/t371582-transponder_key_programming_instructions_.html
For 1998+ Toyota, Lexus
Add Duplicate Key
  1. Simultaneously depress and release brake and accelerator pedals 1 time.
  2. Insert existing master key into ignition.
  3. Within 15 seconds depress and release accelerator pedal 5 times.
  4. Within 20 seconds depress and release the brake pedal 6 times and remove key.
  5. Within 10 seconds insert new key into ignition.
  6. Within 10 seconds depress and release the accelerator pedal 1 time.
  7. After 80 seconds new key is registered and security light goes off.
  8. Remove new key and depress and release brake pedal 1 time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.automotiveforums.com/t371582-transponder_key_programming_instructions_.html
For 2002+ Toyota, Lexus
Add Duplicate Key
Requires one working Toyota/Lexus Master Key.
  1. Make sure all doors and windows are closed.
  2. Insert Master key into the ignition cylinder.
  3. Cycle the ignition cylinder from On to OFF five times.
  4. Open and close the “driver side” door 6 times.
  5. Remove the Master Key and insert the new duplicates key.
  6. TURN THE IGNITION CYLINDER ON.
  7. The new key will be registered after 60 seconds. The THEFT light on the dashboard will go out, indicating that programming has been completed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.ehow.com/how_5054034_program-toyota-transponder-chip-key.html
  1. First you will need to purchase a blank Toyota transponder key. You can do this from the dealership, a locksmith, or an online source such as eBay. Once you have the key, take the blank key and the master key to a locksmith that he or she can duplicate the key. This will be much cheaper than the dealership.
  2. Now that you have the newly cut key and the master key, you can program the Toyota transponder key. Sit in the driver's side of the Toyota vehicle. Press and release the brake and gas pedal simultaneously.
  3. Insert the master transponder key. Do not turn it. Push and release the gas pedal 5 times within at least 15 seconds of inserting the master key.
  4. Press and release the brake pedal 6 times within 20 seconds of completing step 3, then remove the master transponder key.
  5. Insert the newly cut transponder key into the ignition, but do not turn. Press the gas pedal once.
  6. Wait up to 2 minutes or whenever the security light on the dashboard turns off. Once the light goes off, remove the new transponder key and press the brake pedal once. The new transponder key should now be programmed. Test the key by attempting to start the engine. If the engine does not start, repeat the steps above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.ehow.com/how_7444252_program-2009-toyota-corolla-key.html
  1. Have your Corolla key on you and close all of the doors and windows of the vehicle.
  2. Lock and unlock the driver's door with your key. Enter the car through that door and close it behind you.
  3. Insert the key into the ignition and leave it there without turning until the security light turns on and remains on for 15 seconds.
  4. Leave the key and press the brake pedal five times to complete the process.
  5. Remove the key and open the driver's door to confirm the programming sequence.
teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:58 PM   #2
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
I'm also curious, I have a blank sitting here...

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:16 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
If you look at the "Engine Immobilizer" section of the service manual, it appears that you can only register the first master key to a new immobilizer ECU without the TechStream tool. To add additional keys to an immobilizer ECU that already has keys registered requires the TechStream tool.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:30 PM   #4
teddy

Drives: 2008 5-door hatchback
Send a message via MSN to teddy
That's how I read the service manual too, but I was hoping perhaps I was misinterpreting it or that there was another way. I might give these methods another shot... just in case I get lucky.

I'm planning to bring the car in for it's 64000km maintenance service next month and will probably just bring the key in then. They quoted me $44.50 to cut the key & program the transponder + remote. Since I've done the cutting and remote hopefully it'll be a bit less. The price seems reasonable (at least less than I had expected), the quote was for 0.5hr labour.
teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:36 AM   #5
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy View Post
That's how I read the service manual too, but I was hoping perhaps I was misinterpreting it or that there was another way. I might give these methods another shot... just in case I get lucky.

I'm planning to bring the car in for it's 64000km maintenance service next month and will probably just bring the key in then. They quoted me $44.50 to cut the key & program the transponder + remote. Since I've done the cutting and remote hopefully it'll be a bit less. The price seems reasonable (at least less than I had expected), the quote was for 0.5hr labour.

Oh, 44.50 isn't as bad as I thought it would be...I can deal with that too I guess, considering the blank was like 8 dollars.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:12 AM   #6
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
I went to get an extra key from a dealership once and they wanted around $150 for it. that was for the key and all. I then found the joy of ebay. the key was more of a curiosity as I really needed the key fob.

amazing what they want for those little suckers. (it was on a nissan but I figure they are all about the same)
Old 04-28-2015, 06:32 PM   #7
davss

Drives: Yaris CDX 1.4 D-4D 09/2002
Hi,

I have a Yaris from 09/2002 CDX 1.4 D-4D UK and recently replaced a falling apart original black remote key case with one that was cut by carkeyhelp.co.uk from a tag number attached. All the other keys have been lost by previous owners. To my surprise the new blank key was cut perfectly and all is working fine despite a couple of bad reviews of this website. Now, after reading some forums that it costs about £200-900 to replace ECU if I loose my only master key I got back to them to enquire about a transponder key (they said they'd not get a good price for new remotes and that should get from Toyota). A transponder key with no remote is about £18 including cutting so this is the most optimal option for a car worth mere £1400.

The problem is that instructions to determine which key I have from these guys/internet don't match i.e. they say after inserting master key into ignition without turning the security light should go off instantly but it keeps flashing as if no key was inserted. Also, if it was a valet key the security light would go off after 2 seconds so it's not the one I have either. Then last one states that if my key is unprogrammed the security light would keep flashing. This is what's happening in my case but with this key I can operate all functions and start my car (have been using for the past 3.5 years). So, none of the three information is correct in my case and the security light only goes off instantly when I turn my key to ON position when all dashboard lights come on. Therefore, am now puzzled and not certain what key I have and whether it's worth getting another one cut with transponder that can be programmed using various techniques available on the internet.

Last edited by davss; 04-28-2015 at 07:14 PM.
davss is offline   Reply With Quote