Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 11-06-2009, 06:08 PM   #1
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Tanabe NF210 + Tokico vs. TRD springs and shocks

The next mod on my list is the suspension. Since this is my daily driver and family car on weekends/occasions, I don't want to go crazy.

Right now I am looking at the following setups:
1. TRD lowering springs and shocks - I like the idea of having the same drop front and back.
2. Tanabe NF210 springs and Tokico shocks - I like the idea of saving $100 over the TRD setup.

I would like to use the collective Yaris World brain to get some feedback on 1 vs. 2, pro's, con's, any useful data points that would help me with my decision. I'm looking for improved handling and stability while maintaining as much riding comfort as possible.

The TRD shocks are about $100 more expensive than the Tokico's. Are they any better? Is the price difference justified? Better quality, longer life?
fmicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:53 PM   #2
XYaris

Drives: '09 Yaris LB
Word on the street is that the Blues are valved at least as if not more aggressively than the trd's. I have the trd springs and I'm planning on adding the Blues soon. I've only read good things on here about both but I'm gonna save myself 100 bucks and support a vendor that is super helpful. Thanks garm.
XYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:54 PM   #3
scape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
do you ever plan on changing the springs out later for higher rated springs?
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:51 AM   #4
fmicle

So is the cross combo TRD springs + Tokico shocks the best?

I don't know much about spring rates, I just don't want too much drop; I want to be able to clear my driveway safely
Old 11-07-2009, 10:03 AM   #5
scape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
i think the NF's have more of a mild drop than TRD
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1652
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:43 AM   #6
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
the reason aftermarket springs show a slightly milder drop in front is because the stance of the car looks great when it's level and even. A stock Yaris has a bit of a rake to the front. This is an aesthetic choice (it can also be a performance decision for racers).

The NF's do have less of a drop than the TRD's. To match the TRD's and save money, consider the Progress springs also, which are every bit as good.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 01:57 AM   #7
fmicle

Do you carry the Progress Garm? I'm coming down to LA next Saturday. I'm planning to drop by your store and I'm bringing the credit card Is your store open on Saturday? Are you going to be there?

I just checked your online store, you got quite a few to choose from, so I won't leave your store empty handed, no matter what
Old 11-08-2009, 02:06 AM   #8
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmicle View Post
So is the cross combo TRD springs + Tokico shocks the best?

I don't know much about spring rates, I just don't want too much drop; I want to be able to clear my driveway safely
one wheel at a time is how i do i do it, and very carefully and im only on nf210s. I scratched the bottom front when it was oem springs backing out not too carefully. I actually want to drop the front a bit more, to match the gap in the back.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:42 PM   #9
seanele

Drives: '07 Blazing Blue LB, '09 Jetta
dunno about you guys,
but the look from the side of the car between TRD and NF210 is not much different.

the only different actually is this,
if you buy the suspension from vendor in this forum..you'll get all the attention from the people here,
like tips, suggestions and all that..mostly for free.
but
if you buy from Toyota dealer, i dunno man..
the attention may involved some dollar sign..