Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-26-2014, 08:19 PM   #37
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
Looks nice, and I estimate the tacoma runs a bit smoother and lazyer with the 2 inch?

Still that is a pretty flat torque curve to start with.
Yes it's very flat. The Tacoma is a slow turning low end torque industrial engine. The redline is only 5,600 rpm and there isn't much over 4,000 rpm.

The dyno charts don't show it but the truck pulls like a tractor right from idle and even below. I measured the slope of my driveway with an inclinometer and it's 12 degrees. My fully loaded truck climbs right up it even down to only 500 rpm without stalling. It vibrates just like a tractor engine. If you've ever driven a tractor, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. I live and work in a steep canyon and am always crawling up and down the hills in first gear, so this spacer exactly suits my own needs.

Here's the dyno run with the tooter spacer. All the sound is the intake because the exhaust was stock when I ran it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6ofUy8_-6Q

And an acceleration run, same spacer, stock exhaust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvIBURPwtXw

Greg
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:43 PM   #38
tooter
play every day

Here's the prototype on the manifold...

It doubles the length of straight runner section before entering the head as well as adding a little more volume to the manifold.

This with the spacer on the engine. Installation is stupid easy. There's tons of clearance everywhere, and even the oil dipstick tube fit perfectly. You can hardly tell it's there because it's covered up by the fuel rail and the wiring loom.

With the cover on, it's literally invisible. I bet it wouldn't even be noticed on a smog test.

I drove it around today, but couldn't really tell any difference, because I'm so used to driving the tooter ET manifold and the larger Corolla throttle body. So that was giving up a lot of advantages. Still it ran good with no issues. I had disconnected the battery so that the ECU could adjust back to the different stock manifold, the different throttle body, and to the spacer as well. All three being changed at exactly the same time caused the ECU hunt around for quite a while trying to figure out the right idle. But it eventually stabilized and the engine runs just fine.

I'll see about dyno runs this week, if I can find the time.

Greg
Old 01-28-2014, 09:35 AM   #39
Ryze268

Drives: 2002 JDM Vitz 1.3
Can't wait to see some Dyno results :)

Follow me on Instagram:

instagram.com/itzkingjustin
Ryze268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:14 AM   #40
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
So stealth!
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:37 PM   #41
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Awesome!
Hope the dyno shows something the butt dyno doesn't :)
2005 Toyota Echo RS 4dr hatch - Cyl #3 bad - sold
2000 Toyota Echo 2dr coupe - The track car - rusty & scrapped
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:03 AM   #42
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperoni View Post
Awesome!
Hope the dyno shows something the butt dyno doesn't :)
Yeah, the dyno is the only way to know for sure. I'll do some runs as soon as I can, but I don't think it'll be this week as I'm on starting a big job tomorrow. The car also needs to be driven for a while to settle in to all of the new operating parameters. So far it only has 5 miles on the new setup. And I can't tell because I'm already so used to driving it with the larger more responsive 1ZZ throttle body and the tooter I was running already has longer intake runners than the stock manifold.

Greg
Old 01-29-2014, 02:05 PM   #43
exileddeus

Drives: '10 Yaris HB
Good stuff!! Keeping an eye on this.
exileddeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:43 PM   #44
tooter
play every day

My wife has been driving the car all week so the ECU is all dialed in now. Today, I finally got a chance to drive the car a decent distance, and it definitely has more low rpm torque right from off idle to 2,000 rpm. I did my "clutch test", and can let out the clutch pretty quick with no gas and the engine won't stall. I used 2,000 rpms as the shift point to get a good feel for how it accelerates at low rpms and drove it at 35 mph in 5th gear to see how it handles the low rpm load. Feels like driving a little truck.

My wife had said that the exhaust sounds "funny", and after driving it today, wow... it sure does! Up to now I had driven it only about 5 miles after first installing the spacer, and had babied it not knowing how it was going to work. So I didn't hear what it sounded like at higher rpms. When you get on the throttle, the engine makes this really strange rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr sound like a 4 cylinder motorcycle engine. So the spacer actually did change the operating parameters of the engine quite a bit.

Dyno testing will be this coming Monday the 3rd if Harry can fit me into his schedule, so we should get to see the results soon.

Man, I can hardly wait...

Greg
Old 02-01-2014, 07:54 PM   #45
tooter
play every day

Took the car out again and on the freeway for the first time. Flat out acceleration there's nothing at the top end, but then I'm used to the 1ZZ throttle body with the tooter. It cruises with very little throttle At 2,500 to 3,500, and feels great, so I'll begin taking gas mileage readings when I fill it up after the dyno test on Monday.

On the bottom it undeniably feels stronger. I did my "driveway test". It's a 12% grade and from a standing start, the car goes right up at only 400 rpm with no bucking or stalling. The road that goes to my house has a really steep grade, so I also use that one as a test because I'm constantly going up and down and know exactly how it feels. When purposefully short shifting out of first down to only 1,000 rpm in second, it accelerates right up the hill with absolutely no bogging or bucking or straining and without needing a lot of throttle. Now I'm starting to get excited about this as it's passing all of my torque tests with flying colors. :)

But my impressions are highly subjective. That's why we need the dyno so that we can see some real numbers.

Greg
Old 02-01-2014, 08:38 PM   #46
Ryze268

Drives: 2002 JDM Vitz 1.3
Well done Greg, keep the updates coming :)

Follow me on Instagram:

instagram.com/itzkingjustin
Ryze268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:49 AM   #47
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
Badass

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:40 PM   #48
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
very important to have low end torque, for um... red light acceleration. you know, when leaving red light and trying to get up to proper speed limits and economy speeds.
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:52 PM   #49
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddeenoh View Post
very important to have low end torque, for um... red light acceleration. you know, when leaving red light and trying to get up to proper speed limits and economy speeds.
On the test drive I accidently spun the wheels taking off. And I never do that. It was quite a surprise!

Greg
Old 02-02-2014, 09:03 PM   #50
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
for um... red light acceleration. you know, when leaving red light and trying to get up to proper speed limits and economy speeds.
heh, that made me chuckle.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:46 AM   #51
tooter
play every day

It's dyno day.

I'm waiting for the call...
Old 02-03-2014, 02:00 PM   #52
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Can't wait to see.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:27 PM   #53
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
how about now?

:D
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:59 PM   #54
tooter
play every day

Ok. Just got back from Harry's shop...

(ta da )

Red: no spacer
Blue: with the tooter I.V spacer

Both runs were done with the same short ram intake, the same air filter, the same stock plastic intake manifold, the same stock throttle body, the same header, and the same axle back exhaust.

The tooter I.V intake manifold spacer was the only change.

This is similar to the results I got with my Tacoma. The I.V spacer lowered the torque peak from 4,100 rpm down to 3,650 rpm as well as fattening up the torque curve a little. Not too bad for just a simple bolt on part.

Just for context, the bone stock torque peak is 4,400 rpm, so the intake, the 4-2-1 header, and the Magnaflow exhaust had already lowered it by 300 rpm. The spacer lowered the peak by another 450 rpm for a total of 750 rpm.

Greg

Last edited by tooter; 02-03-2014 at 05:23 PM.