Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-09-2010, 10:15 AM   #1
Yarus Maximus

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5-dr auto
Brand new Yaris dashboard rattling, help!

My new Yaris has only 500 miles and the dashboard is rattling. The location is hard to pinpoint. Its coming from center console and possibly the area to the left.

I realize the Yaris is an econo model, but there should be no issues after so few miles. When I test drove this car it had 2 miles on it and there were no rattles, otherwise I would not have bought it.

The dealer where I bought the car is somewhat far from me. Should I take it there or to my local authorized service center? Is this type of problem covered under under my warranty?

I can't wait to hear "Oh, rattling is perfectly normal. No need to bring it in for service."

I did a lot of research and thought this was a great car but now I am nauseous.
Yarus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:27 AM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
When the rattle occurs, place your hand on the half moon shaped piece of dash trim in front of the gauge cluster and press down. This is the source area for many rattles, and is quite often coming from where the dash piece meets the clear cover on the gauges.

Unfortunately so many trim pieces come together in this area, and it will inevitably rattle. Somewhere in here there are posts on how others have addressed the rattle occuring around the cluster.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:47 AM   #3
Ryude

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang GT
I would bring it in for service, i've had dealers fix rattles before as long as your warranty is good.
Ryude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:54 AM   #4
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
I took apart the center dash of mine and stuck small pieces of dynomat around where the clips are and such. Mine was rattling shortly after i got it. Now i have a horrible horrible loud rattling sound coming from the windshield. Found a TSB for that one i have to bring in.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:52 PM   #5
brg88tx

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan, Auto
my 03 tacoma used to rattle like crazy...so far my 07 sedan is completely rattle free (fingers crossed).

rattles bother the hell out of me.
brg88tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:13 PM   #6
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
Yes, dash pod is the source of many irritating rattles. I went through a whole sheet of felt dots trying to fix it. I'm still working on it. I had the TSB done, but that was worthless. I'd have warranty work on it, but don't expect miracles. Most hard plastic dash cars have rattle problems. We're in good company, the Prius and Fit are constantly complained about for rattles by owners.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:29 PM   #7
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
My tires + subs are loud all the time. I wonder if my car rattles.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:23 PM   #8
Lucas13

Drives: 07 Yaris LB
I removed the cluster and placed some hard foam little cubes where the a/c ducts are on the center, It worked pretty well, just hit it with you hand little by little put the foam pieces in between of the plastic parts, this cheap cars will always have this type of rattles but with some patience they can be fixed.
Lucas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:33 AM   #9
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
Bose makes great noise canceling head phones. Mine did the same thing in several places. Still does in some. Take some stick on felts and put between plastic joints. Helped mine a lot. Pavement coarseness seems to make mine come and go. My neighbor has a new Mercedes SUV and it rattles more than my Yaris.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote