Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-20-2009, 12:27 PM   #1
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Good coffee

I grind my own in the morning and once in a while go to Starbucks. Yesterday while shopping, I decided to try McDonald's McCafe. Wow! That is good coffee. I was really impressed. McDonalds is not fooling around. They are going to take business away from Starbucks.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 02:06 PM   #2
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
Try their iced coffee sometime. My tolerance for caffiene is low but I'll put up with the buzz for their iced coffee.
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 02:08 PM   #3
DandiDani

Drives: 09' Meteorite liftback
Send a message via MSN to DandiDani
lol. on our drive to TX from KY (which is a VEERRRYYYY long 16hr drive and we wont be doing it again) we stopped at mcd's at least 4 times for coffee and it is very good. i never go to starbucks. its too pricey.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:01 PM   #4
fluke_boy

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3 dr hb
Oh yeah! Mickyd's iceed - is that even a word "iceed" - McCafes are awesome. Too bad it's now winter.
fluke_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:18 PM   #5
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Jamaican Blue is the best coffee I have ever had
but it is about $40USD/lb
Old 12-20-2009, 10:43 PM   #6
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Once in a blue moon I'll go to McD's, Starbucks or Seattle's Best, but for the most part I'm happy with making a cup or two of Folger's de-caf at home in the morning.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:05 PM   #7
Wattz

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
I disagree. First and foremost, the taste is off-putting. Secondly, if you get one of their latte things they basically just fill it up with chocolate and high fructose corn syrup. Thirdly, I tried McDonald's for a week straight for my morning coffee. EVERY DAY FOR A WEEK IT TOOK LIKE 15 MINUTES JUST TO GET A F**KING DRINK.

I gave them a fair chance. They totally blew it in every way.

The ONLY reason I go to Starbucks is because it's on the way to work, it's quick, and it's CONSISTENT. The little coffee places have a bad habit of being way out of the way and generally just not convenient.
Wattz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:34 PM   #8
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris-me View Post
I grind my own in the morning and once in a while go to Starbucks. Yesterday while shopping, I decided to try McDonald's McCafe. Wow! That is good coffee. I was really impressed. McDonalds is not fooling around. They are going to take business away from Starbucks.
everybody knows that Starbucks isn't that great of quality.... Seattle's Best is the real stuff. Starbucks just had a better marketing team in the 90s and got the best start out of the gate.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:44 PM   #9
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
everybody knows that Starbucks isn't that great of quality.... Seattle's Best is the real stuff. Starbucks just had a better marketing team in the 90s and got the best start out of the gate.
Then McDonalds is going to take business away from Seattle's best.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:55 PM   #10
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I no longer drink coffee but my wife does. I get her an organic and fair trade certified brand that comes from Colombia, and that is roasted and distributed locally. They offer it in bulk, which is great bonus as we keep packaging to a minimum.

Aside from being better for the environment and better for the farmers, and aside from keeping more of our dollars local, it is a wonderful roast that tastes better than anything one could possibly get from an anti-consumer corporation like McDonald's, or a greenwashing, bad-consumer-enabling corporation like Starbucks.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:13 PM   #11
slothman86

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
I would eat at McDonalds if the service wasn't crap the food didn't taste like carboard and the fries didn't leave a starchy after taste. Never had seattle's best but I'm sure my wife has, she is a coffee fiend!
Old 12-22-2009, 01:40 PM   #12
SilverBack
Joey

Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
Hmm maybe, but Seattle's Best and Starbucks are within the same company. Another reason Starbucks is so much more productive is because caffeine is addictive, and they're notorious for using insane doses of it. My last GF used to work at one and she knew 3 customers by name, occupation, family background because they were there practically jittering in line almost everyday lol

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:14 PM   #13
Wattz

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
^I've noticed that some Baristas are WAY too interested and excited at 5:45am.

I gradually worked my way up from regular coffee to 4 shots of espresso in the morning. At first I had no idea that the drink I ordered had 4 shots in it. Then one morning I watched them make it. Sure enough... Two shots, some cream, two more shots, some more cream, then water and ice to fill the cup. I was shocked. That's when I started getting smaller and smaller sizes.
Wattz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 04:29 PM   #14
jaytown

Drives: Yaris
Mickey "D"s is the bang for your buck
jaytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 05:37 PM   #15
SilverBack
Joey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattz View Post
^I've noticed that some Baristas are WAY too interested and excited at 5:45am.

I gradually worked my way up from regular coffee to 4 shots of espresso in the morning. At first I had no idea that the drink I ordered had 4 shots in it. Then one morning I watched them make it. Sure enough... Two shots, some cream, two more shots, some more cream, then water and ice to fill the cup. I was shocked. That's when I started getting smaller and smaller sizes.
Don't worry she wasn't one of them. She never drank that stuff. The entertainment of watching a line full of customers with caffeine withdrawals was enough to wake her up lol.

I remember my first visit too. I got the largest size mocha they had. It was really good and and after about half a cup I became focused like a laser and finished the last few pages of a term paper in an hour. After the whole cup I got the urge to climb the walls and annoy everyone around me. The worst part was the big crash that hit me when I got home lol. So just like you I had to also get smaller orders from that point on the rare times that I go. Otherwise the de-caf at home is more than enough.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:52 PM   #16
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by k r a y z e e . j o j o View Post
Don't worry she wasn't one of them. She never drank that stuff. The entertainment of watching a line full of customers with caffeine withdrawals was enough to wake her up lol.

I remember my first visit too. I got the largest size mocha they had. It was really good and and after about half a cup I became focused like a laser and finished the last few pages of a term paper in an hour. After the whole cup I got the urge to climb the walls and annoy everyone around me. The worst part was the big crash that hit me when I got home lol. So just like you I had to also get smaller orders from that point on the rare times that I go. Otherwise the de-caf at home is more than enough.
In Jan we'll slip you some caffeine and watch you BZZzzzz....
Old 12-24-2009, 08:30 PM   #17
SilverBack
Joey

Okay it's your funeral

Old 12-26-2009, 02:52 PM   #18
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
I just now tested this, based on this very thread.

McD...CRAP

Went to McD's, consulted the latte robot, it tasted like arse !

dumped it, drove to Starbucks. got my regular quad Latte. ahhhh

I spent a lot of time in Italy drinking real butt-kicking espresso and latte, and believe me
McD is crap compared to Starbucks

everyone's tastes are different. these are my results, may not be yours
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote