Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Photo-Video-Media Gallery
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-06-2018, 08:55 PM   #1
Runethecursed

Drives: 2009 Yaris S
Seat Time Project: Name needed

Gents!

I thought I would add a Build log and page for the ongoing process with my 09 Yaris Hatch. I'll be posting random questions up here, and updates on progress as it happens (At least if I say it'll happen that's more motivation to make it happen right?)

About the Driver.
27 year old from the midwest farmlands who ended up traveling the US with the Services, My experience with cars started at a young age where my father taught me to drive on an 82 rx7 and my first real manual car was a 92 Protege, the same car by the by which was used to teach 4 other cousins and my sister. RIP Little Protege.

Since striking it on my own I've owned over 20 cars, I'm sure I'll post a list of vehicles when I feel somber enough to remember them all. But they range from old-school steel to trucks, European sedans, and your normal JDM trash.

My Current Lineup is a humble 2006 Saab 97x Arc/5.3i which I nicknamed the Rhino because it's like a unicorn only.. portly
and the 09 Yaris which is currently unnamed...

Previously I owned my actual dream car and the biggest jimmy rustler of all time a 2010 Aurora Blue Mazda RX8 R3 edition. I will always love that car but I was just not keen on racing it. More on that later.

My overall goal for this Yaris is to delve into the world of cheap and effective racing and track days to bolster my own abilities and skills and just because I want it. This Yaris already came with the stripped interior, 4 point cage, a handful of suspension braking and tire modifications and the gauges. Effectively I believe I bought a 500 dollar car that had about 4,000 dollars of modifications and work done on it.

Without Further Ado:

2009 Toyota Yaris
82k miles
Federal RS-RR tires
15 inch Kosei K1 TS rims
5 full size spare
Roll cage ( still working on paperwork to get it certified)
Crow Racing Harnesses
Defi Tachometer
Glowsport Oil Pressure and Coolant temp gauges
Micro Image Shift Extender
Micro Image SSK underhood and inner body
Weathertech Wind Deflectors
Cusco front and rear swaybars
Tien Street Master Z coilovers
Poly Bushings up front
Chopped (MCM) Exhaust/catback
Hawk HPS pads
Cryotech Rotors
Goodridge Stainless steel front lines
OMP racing pedals

Soon:
Tanabe Touring Catback
NRG Racing seat
NRG Deep dish wheel
NRG Hub adapter
NRG Hub Lock
Lathewerkes custom knob
Hydro-handbrake
Camry Front Calipers (once pads get worn... might take a while)
Upgrade front rotors
Custom Front and Rear aero
Livery...
Bluetooth Radio install
Bee*R rev limiter (Had this for years and years...)
Bee*R Shift Lamp (same, I think this was from my 3rd? 240sx?)
DC Sports exhaust header
1ZZ throttle body with custom ported intake manifold (working out how...)
AEM EMS 4
Radium AOS
A/C Delete
Rally Style Hood Scoop
Stiffer Springs...

The overall goal while seemingly expensive is to build a reliable and cheap track ready car, that has some 'resident f*ckboi' status stuff for kicks. I've already put about 500 miles behind the wheel and am aching for more wheel time and get some hours on the track to really push it. Working out suspension rates right now and alignment. As well as losing weight personally.

Even with the list of modifications included I feel this chassis is one of the cheapest "new" chassis to build and race. Sure Miata this and blah, in the words of Trump, "sounds good doesn't work" (I'm 6 foot 4 and hate having my knees touch the dash.... I'm More leg than torso) So this is next best.

Reasons for Yaris vs other B segmented cars? This one already came modified. I also like the junkyard ability to swap in other parts lego style...The mazda/chevy cannot do that and the honda... well first gen Fit's are rather leaky ey?

Photos of car

Stock Pedals, with the Classic Toyota "don't touch the gas pedal so we hid it"

So I changed it. Cheap 25 dollar modification, highly Recommended.

Shifter Extention, Check Ebay for listing

Mucha better

and the knob that bought it

Last edited by Runethecursed; 03-06-2018 at 09:48 PM.
Runethecursed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:00 PM   #2
Runethecursed

Car the Yaris Replaced/Dream Car
2010 Mazda Rx-8 R3

Future Ideas about livery, I have been messing around on Forza 4 cause... well it's an easy interface to use, I have it and it has my car so.. yeah
Gazoo Inspired

And the Livery I prefer but Might be a bit loud to daily with... TRD influenced

Im still playing with the idea, but I would like some feedback.

Also for Future modifications, I was looking at recreating the wing in the game and was looking at the focus st...

Bonus Photo... Grocery Getter
Old 03-06-2018, 09:46 PM   #3
Runethecursed

Car List

2010 Mazda Rx-8 R3
2009 Toyota Yaris
2007 Dodge Charger R/T

2006 Honda Accord V6 (with 6 speed manual.. I miss this car)
2006 Mercury Grand Marquis

2006 Saab 97x

2005 Ford Focus SES (red 2 door 2.0 manual)
2004 Ford Focus ZX3 (black 2.3 and manual two door)
2002 Subaru Wrx

2001 Subaru 2.5Rs coupe. 170whp NA built engine, miss this car as well..
Girl no longer applies
1999 BMW M3

1998 Subaru Forester L

1997 Honda Civic DX hatch (EK for life)
1997 Crown Victoria LX (highschool car)

1996 Nissan 240sx (Black automatic, manual swap with supercharger)

1995 Nissan 240sx (LN1 purple with 1uz 5 speed swap and adapter, 320whp)

1993 Mazda Rx-7 (FD with a bent frame, sold two weeks after I bought it, made money.)
1993 Nissan 240sx Hatch (Black CA18DET swapped)

1993 Nissan 240sx coupe ( Red, manual KA first tuner I bought)

1992 Ford Mustang LX

1992 Mazda Protege LX

1988 Mazda FX7 (S4 maroon, so much fun)

1984 Chevy C10 custom (Reba 454 with th400 longbed)

1974 Plymouth Duster ( I owned this car twice actually..)
Post rebuild

Pre rebuild

Bonus. Me in the Dirtfish rally RWD Brz..
Old 03-06-2018, 10:06 PM   #4
1zzVitz05

Drives: Echo 05
Sweeet post! Theres a bunch of nice cars! Bonus points for pictures!
1zzVitz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:49 PM   #5
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
First nice Yaris. Best of luck with your endeavors with her. Love how the tach is mounted in the vent.

Second, 27 years old and been thru 20 cars already. My God man! That's like 2 cars a year assuming you started driving at 17. Do you have any money left over for food? I've been driving since 1985, I've had 4 cars total in that time including my current Yaris.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:11 AM   #6
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1zzVitz05 View Post
+1

Love that second Forza livery, with the Shell logo on the front bumper.

The 1996 Nissan 240 was a gem and I like the 2nd Gen RX-7 even more.

Rally driving in that BRZ had to be a riot.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 06:23 PM   #7
Runethecursed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
First nice Yaris. Best of luck with your endeavors with her. Love how the tach is mounted in the vent.

Second, 27 years old and been thru 20 cars already. My God man! That's like 2 cars a year assuming you started driving at 17. Do you have any money left over for food? I've been driving since 1985, I've had 4 cars total in that time including my current Yaris.
No, I eat ramen alot..
in truth, it just takes careful budgeting and meager living. I don't have the nicest newest clothes, I don't buy hyper jee whiz phones or spend money on video games or tv streaming sites, I hardly go on vacation (racing is the vacation) And I do a lot of work when flipping cars making sure I break even or even make money. the rx8 I actually made money through street value went down the low mileage and rare model helped drive the price back up.

also Illinios farm boy Ive been driving since 15, dads crown vic (then mine) was my first car, it went back to my dad who handed it to my sister who gave it back and sadly was sold for cheap. I wanted it (hence the grand marquis) but physically the car had alot of years on it and rust was an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
+1

Love that second Forza livery, with the Shell logo on the front bumper.

The 1996 Nissan 240 was a gem and I like the 2nd Gen RX-7 even more.

Rally driving in that BRZ had to be a riot.
We are tweaking that livery a little to make it a reality. I like it alot alot.
that FC was nice. it was a non turbo GXL but had all the right bits and ran really well. I kinda regret selling it but at the time it was a 3rd car and well... selling that and the 240 gave way for me buying a nicer daily.

That Brz was the greatest thing I sat behind. stock power rating but the suspension and lsd just made it carve. I still look at brz's to this day but... ill wait till they bottom out price wise ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1zzVitz05 View Post
Literally took me two hours to get this list together and then sift through my harddrives to find old compressed photos. I know I have more like of my accord but.. eh you guys know what stock accords look like
Old 03-07-2018, 08:33 PM   #8
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
you can always do something like this...a buddy's design

enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:16 AM   #9
ern-diz

That's awesome. Combined with those classic wheels. Damn near perfect --and I'm not even a fan of fender flares.

On Wheelwell
Old 03-08-2018, 02:53 PM   #10
Runethecursed

Sure looks good for a homemade job needs some Toyota banners and half panda wrap I think
Old 03-08-2018, 04:03 PM   #11
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
DUDE. Your 3 years younger than me and you've had 18 more cars than i have!

What a fucking legend...
Old 03-09-2018, 06:31 AM   #12
Runethecursed

Or financial disaster, either or.

Helps not having a dog or a girlfriend, yeah?

Side note, got my Saab back from the dealer ( the trollblazer) and man oh man I miss such a quiet, soft riding comfy seat ac-having, radio playing vehicle... with power. I cannot lie. I love my tow pig/personnel carrier.
Old 03-09-2018, 04:44 PM   #13
Runethecursed

Found on a different thread I lust after a good armrest. so i bought one. also

20% off of ebay today on buys so... Ill make time to give these hands at smash bros when it comes out. PM for nintendo name for add

also 2.0 :
Local Socal junkyard is doing 40% off that weekend. its a racing weekend BUT i got my mind on getting a 2zr motor and a chevy 4.2l and 4l60e for kicks. ... depends what I can find.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:03 AM   #14
Runethecursed

To be an audiophile.

Or so I thought. I had a genius idea of installing a bluetooth head unit in the upper glove box on these cars because frankly its too small for anything too useful and my oem head unit was already converted into a gauge pod. More on that later

So I went about the barbaric way of finding a good mounting solution and location and did a little chopping (MCM) in the process.
Observe
Files smaller for your pleasure, click for bigger

Clean garage, always a refreshing start, got that damn supra running and outta the way.

Dash Removed

The Culprit About to be chopped

Air Bag deleted

CHOPPED

How I did this? Cardboard.

Stand by for part two!
Old 03-14-2018, 01:47 AM   #15
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
I want to say cool but I just can't. No way I would sacrifice an airbag for a radio. I know 2 people whose lives have been saved by an airbag. I know 0 people whose lives were saved by a radio.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:43 AM   #16
Runethecursed

When dealing with rollcages and harnesses and fixed back seats; airbags become a liability as they where designed for collapsible seats. There's no point in this car. But yes in a normal street driven car it is boarderline illegal to take out airbags and putting yourself and passengers at risk.

Continuing on!

With the radio mounted in the dash and looking super stealth we went to wire in the connection, small problem

Im missing entirely everything radio harness wise down to the speakers. I have nothing, no speakers, no plugs, no harnesses...

Well crud.

So I'm at a bridge here, do I replace the speakers in the doors and wire them up with my own concoction to the head unit? Or since we have some brand new kenwood 4 inch speakers do I put them in those useless cubbys next to the hvac controls and just ignore my doors? This wasnt supposed to be big like this, but Im all for saving the hassle of wiring to doors.... as the speakers where the only electronic bit

that said I started working on a side project while the dash is out (actually theres alot of cascading things Im working on that the dash it out)

You Can see the radio bezel has been retained with just a piece of black posterboard and 2 gages, functional and proper but we can do better.

4 better in fact

The order was sent in for a water temp gauge and Afr, also from the same line of glowshift gauges, they arent super awesome but they are cheap and will work for now. The upper right hand section will be left blank for now. .

The idea later is when I go full aftermarket ECU I can send trigger warning lights to small Diodes there and lablel them for a quick look on what the CEL actually is. Im thinking oil pres low, water temp high, acc power on, and alt discharge go/no go

just a thought

As I am at a standtil till those gauges come in Im gonna roll along to the next dash based project....

here's a teaser

Last edited by Runethecursed; 03-14-2018 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:18 PM   #17
Runethecursed

Sorry for the Delay! to the three of you who follow this ( thanks grandma!)

the radio bezel took me way longer than I care to remember, but basically the gauges are 52mm which is just a hair bigger than a standard 2 inch hole saw, so i got the 2 inch hole saw and completely forgot to measure the lip on the face of the gauge and basically ruined 3 pieces of Lexan for the gauge mount... Im not the kind of guy to but another piece when I have so much poster board, so what did I do? @sswhacks of bondo and sanding..

this here is the final product cause I was also working on something else that took up my camera.

bit of black paint. some duct tape on the back and now i just wait for the next set of gauges. looks good and I like that its evenly spaced left to right....

took me so long to get that right

\

Now for the teaser.

I finagled with a driver side mounted tach and played with cardboard.

Im really an ape when it comes to these sort of things

not bad, but its large and i kept thinking about how much work it would be to get it all fiberglassed in..

So I went small

Just the basics of what I wanted

then I went bigger

this has potential but Its gonna bug me how it looked... sadly this is where things went 10-100 real fast

Alternate location for gauges, maybe if I was richer..

made an outline

found some spare rx8 plastic laying around.

formed some l brackets and bonded it together. ( terrible idea in hindsight)

Mocked it all up

set the angle right

thought about what to paint it with. decided on self etching primer, then primer filler, and actually i had it rather smooth....

but I messed up with the wrinkle coat, the rustoleum dries super oily and i was man handling it to get the car back together for the weekend autox...

i hate how it turned out but its functional and right now the car is back on the road..

left a little note of encouragement!

spare carbon fiber bits are always aplentiful here at the shop

moving onto the radio issue.

This car had no headunit, nor did it have the speakers.... nor any sort of wiring for speakers.
Im all about basic so i had some spare 4 inch speackers laying around.. and a 4 inch hole saw...

yup ... that just happened

painted the styrofoam, and installed it all, shimmed out to clear the hvac controls which are unneccesarily huge.

now I have a head unit in the glove box, bluetooth, and trick speakers

Im really content with how things turned out.

I have a different idea in mind for the dash but as the car sits right now I can drive it and enjoy, wiring up the rev lamp was interesting too since it works off the redline set and only has indication from 2000 to redline, so the first light comes on at like 4500 rpm... But it was free and I had it lying around.

Also came in while i was working, the best worst mod for this car

the oem arm rest. Its awesome! cause I have a place for my arm now as Im driving.

its the worst cause it gets in the way of the hand brake, and its rather intrusive on pure shifting..

thankfully its one screw to pop off the uppser section making it 2 min to get back to full range of arm movement.

Later this week Im going ot bring the car back into the garage and start working on the mirco image short shift kit under hood and inner body. if anyone has tricks or tips on how to assess all that Id be super grateful.

Next on the list of things to get done is finalizing the stripping of the carpet out of the car, adding some lining to the flooring, maybe taking down the doors to the shell and making an alum cover for it all with pull tabs, the engine and power mods are on hold as I finalize money for the 2zr swap. Which I am super amped about getting into. been looking for a scion xd car to buy whole and just murderlate.

I also want to take out the dash once more and flock it but before I do that I have plans on changing up the drivers cluster once more to something a little more streamlined and less ratchet. Im thinking of fiberglassing the section smooth with the rest of the dash and having a flat plate that pulls away on velcro to mount the gauges to. makes the whole look cleaner and its easier to modify later on. But for right now the car is good and I still love wringing out all 106hp its supposed to have.

Bonus, 50 bucks of sushi

cause Shiro-san had a hankering.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:52 AM   #18
ern-diz

Went to work!

Sushi for the win.

On Wheelwell