Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-03-2010, 12:47 AM   #217
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbang View Post
Its all a goverment conspiracy to boost the sale of GM car
the USA is not a nation but a corporation GM is part of the corporation
Oh come on, everything is a conspiracy...
Old 02-03-2010, 03:56 AM   #218
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

It's a conspiracy headed by Jesse Ventura to promote his "Conspiracy Theory" show.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:57 AM   #219
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
It's a conspiracy headed by Jesse Ventura to promote his "Conspiracy Theory" show.
I am beginning to believe it is a conspiracy, and I don't subscribe to most conspiracy theories; but this press released makes me wonder...

Quote:
Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood just went nuclear in his tirade against Toyota: He is now advising owners of the eight recalled models to park them and not drive them until they can be brought into dealers to have their accelerator pedals repaired. (full story)
What BS! As I stated earlier, the NHTSA has stated they know of no accidents or injuries that have occured as the result of the sticking gas pedals (that straight from their web site), and now LaHood is telling everyone not to drive their cars?!?

Wow, I guess bailing out the US auto industry wasn't enough, now the Obama Administration has to start a smear campaign against the competition...
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:16 PM   #220
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
this is sad I heard toyota will be stopping all production for a while.

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:45 PM   #221
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
supposedly computer keeps throttle open . The woman who had her '05 PRIUS crash said that she checked the floor mat and that pedal was not stuck ( used foot to unstick it ) . Thus a fault in the 'puter . This could get very interesting if pedal fix doesn't work .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:55 PM   #222
scape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_echo View Post
it is my OPINION that the recall should not even exist at all... i am in the toyota t ten service training program and we are keeping ourselves up to date on this... the problem is that with the affected models, there is no hook for positive retention of the floormats, and most of the american idiots prefer to stack another mat on top, to "protect" the factory floormat from getting dirty... when you stack the extra floormats, they can slide up under the pedals and get stuck...
to be fair, my floor mat hook popped completely out of the base carpet and was a bit of a bitch to pop back in. so a sliding floor mat is totally possible, especially if operator does not notice and drives around like this.
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:06 PM   #223
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
Toyota is not competition , Toyota is the Holy Grail for GM, they'll never even come close to them.

I believe Toyota did the right thing with the preventive recall and temporary halt to production even though it is only the US that has experienced this kind of "failure". Sure they maybe realized the mechanism could be improved and perfected so instead of waiting for actual accidents to happen they prevented them. And its not like Toyotas are going HAL on their owners all over the place.
I agree with everything except that Toyota is not competition for GM. Anyone who takes customers away (which Toyota does easily) is competition.

But the way the media (and Administration) are playing this is very suspicous. The reason I mentioned the fact that no accidents or injuries have occurred was to point out how the sensationalized press is reporting this. Based on what you see on the news, cars should be crashing all over th place and bodies spewed across America's roadways. We all know that isn't true, but bullshit like LaHood is saying reeks of other motivations...
Old 02-03-2010, 02:34 PM   #224
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Now the Prius has brake problems and is being recalled.......

Toyota is really in the midst of a design quality crisis.

Now is the time for owners of a Yaris with aceleration delay issues to take the car back to the dealer and demad a souution as it now appers that toyota has mutiple ECU/electrical problems with multiple cars.

BTW, there is a report that eltromagnetic radiation (such as cell phone signals, etc) may possibly be causing some Tyota ECUs to malfunction.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:17 PM   #225
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Woz says it's a computer problem:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,584716,00.html
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:31 PM   #226
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Maybe his feet hit all 10 pedals at once?
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:15 PM   #227
MadMax

And it gets worse...

Quote:
Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood told Toyota owners Wednesday they should stop driving their vehicles, then quickly took back his words, adding to confusion over the safety of millions of recalled cars. Toyota, for its part, tried to reassure drivers that sticky gas pedals have been rare — and the cars can be stopped in any event by firmly stepping on the brakes.

The final word from LaHood: "What I meant to say or what I thought I said was, if you own one of these cars or if you're in doubt, take it to the dealer and they're going to fix it."

The back-and-forth played out as word surfaced that Toyota Motor Corp. also has been the subject of more than 100 complaints in the U.S. and Japan about brake problems with the popular Prius gas-electric hybrid, which is not part of the recall. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has received about 100 complaints, two of them involving crashes that resulted in injuries. In addition, Japan's transport ministry said it had received 14 complaints.

Rep. Bart Stupak, chairman of the House Energy and Commerce investigative subcommittee, said he planned to ask Toyota about the complaints related to the Prius.

Further clouding the picture for consumers: the notion that problems could extend beyond Toyota vehicles. Federal officials have widened their investigation of malfunctioning gas pedals to see if the same problem exists in cars made by other auto companies.

The traffic safety agency said it had sent a letter to CTS, the Indiana company that made the pedals for Toyota, to find out more about the pedals it has manufactured for other auto companies, including Honda, Nissan and a small number of Fords in China. CTS has been adamant that the issues are limited to Toyota alone.

The Toyota recall in the U.S. covers 2.3 million vehicles and involves 2009-10 RAV4 crossovers, 2009-10 Corollas, 2009-10 Matrix hatchbacks, 2005-10 Avalons, 2007-10 Camrys, 2010 Highlander crossovers, 2007-10 Tundra pickups and 2008-10 Sequoia SUVs. The recalls also extend to Europe and China, covering nearly 4.5 million vehicles overall.

Toyota said the sticking gas pedal situation is unusual and "generally does not occur suddenly. In the rare instances where it does occur, the vehicle can be controlled with firm and steady application of the brakes."

LaHood said the government is considering civil penalties against the carmaker but that it appeared "Toyota is making an all-out effort to do all that they can to fix these cars."

Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif., said plenty of questions remain.

"Obviously, there are concerns regarding the consistency of information that is entering the public domain," he said.
Issa is right, LaHood's original comments were inflammatory and he should be held accountable. He was nominated by Obama and most likely got that because he is from Obama's home state of Illinois. His résumé on transport matters is seen as thin by many critics...
Old 02-03-2010, 07:24 PM   #228
galactus

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
This looks like media hype to me. Of course, society at large can be rather weak-minded and believe everything they hear on the 'news'. Pretty soon, angry mobs are going to attack Toyota owners and dealers. Now, since they smell blood in the water, they are going to start on something else....Prius brakes. It is all overblown BS propagated and exacerbated by a pukey, liberal media who believes that all corporations are inherently evil anyway. This does not affect my feeling on Toyotas one little bit. I would buy another and probably will one day.
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:54 PM   #229
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post
This does not affect my feeling on Toyotas one little bit. I would buy another and probably will one day.
Agreed, we are looking at a Venza to possibly replace our Honda Odyssey when it craps out one day. You can really mod them to look quite nice...

Old 02-03-2010, 10:21 PM   #230
wooverstone8

Drives: 2017 VW Jetta 1.4L Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post
This does not affect my feeling on Toyotas one little bit. I would buy another and probably will one day.

As long as Toyota provides good customer service and continue to build fun to drive and fuel efficient cars (like the Yaris) I'll stay with them. I'm planning to stay w/ my Yaris long term. It's an excellent little car!
wooverstone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:07 AM   #231
advocate

Drives: car
The fact that this thread is 14 pages long and the Yaris isn't in the recall only proves the fact that this American media classic fear campaign has really gotten to people.

If you operate a machine and you are unaware of how to use it properly and completely you take that responsibility and any consequences into your own hands.

This wouldn't be a problem if it took more than 5 minutes to get a drivers' license in America. Or more than $5.
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:11 AM   #232
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
^ LOL +1
Old 02-04-2010, 04:57 AM   #233
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate View Post
The fact that this thread is 14 pages long and the Yaris isn't in the recall only proves the fact that this American media classic fear campaign has really gotten to people.

If you operate a machine and you are unaware of how to use it properly and completely you take that responsibility and any consequences into your own hands.

This wouldn't be a problem if it took more than 5 minutes to get a drivers' license in America. Or more than $5.
Well, there are wait times at the DMV, and I thought there were card fees?

And I think there should be testing and licencing to have and operate horns.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:34 AM   #234
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
Aren't the Prius brake parts the same as the ones used in the yaris? I know a lot of our parts are the same.
devinlamothe is offline   Reply With Quote