Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-13-2009, 01:27 PM   #73
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
I just called the dealership, and the news is not good in my case.

They're not covering my car under warranty, even when they KNOW that the clutch has nothing to do with the synchro. They want to charge around $200 just for taking the tranny apart, plus parts. Not only that, but it will take them at least until next Wednesday to get the car back together.

God I love my country.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:21 PM   #74
hatchbackkid82

Drives: .
Damn man sorry to hear that TK. Well I just got a call back from the dealer, they ended up getting me a whole new transmission, the rep told me that after they put they new parts in there it was still doing the same thing (3rd gear grind) so they put a new tranmission in there. Sorry TK
hatchbackkid82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:23 PM   #75
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk-421 View Post

They're not covering my car under warranty, even when they KNOW that the clutch has nothing to do with the synchro. They want to charge around $200 just for taking the tranny apart, plus parts. Not only that, but it will take them at least until next Wednesday to get the car back together.

God I love my country.
OK, I don't understand this. Can someone please explain or send me to the right thread please?

What I don't understand is why the dealer picks and choose what is covered or not covered. You guys have practically new cars, or cars with much lower mileage than mine, therefore should be fully covered under the 3 y initial warranty, no? Isn't the initial warranty comprehensive, or does the dealership still get to pick and choose what's covered and what's not covered?

Are there any good thread on warranty issues that I might have missed in this forum? I'm really curious. (They wanted $160 to just look at my car even though it's technically under a comprehensive "bumper to bumper" warranty.

Why go to the dealership at all if they're going to pick and choose what's covered?!!!
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:29 PM   #76
hatchbackkid82

If you have a bumper to bumper warranty they should cover anything that goes wrong. Unless you have mods done, some may still honor it. But if the problem can be traced back directly to the mod then your SOL. For example: if you throw a CAI on your car and drive through a puddle and it hydrolocks. Then you take to the dealer with the CAI on there, they probably won't honor your warranty. Dealers should never charge you to take a look at your car if your under the bumper to bumper warranty. In my case i got lucky, i was out of the bumper to bumper warranty, but i was still within the powertrain warranty (5yrs/60k miles). So there was no charge.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:44 PM   #77
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchbackkid82 View Post
If you have a bumper to bumper warranty they should cover anything that goes wrong...
Well, they SAID I did, that's what that Certified program is supposed to be about. Actually, you gave me an idea. I think I'll call Toyota directly and see what they say about my warranty. Maybe the guy I spoke to on the phone didn't know any better.

Sorry about the rant. I hate it when people take advantage. I have a feeling if they could get away with grabbing people by the ankles and shaking them until money comes out of their pockets, they probably would!!! What are you gonna do, you need your car and they know it. Grrrr
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:01 PM   #78
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
so the weak transmission debacle carries over from the old generation 5spd eh ?

shame :(
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:32 PM   #79
Jerkratt

Drives: 08 Yaris Liftback S (RIP 07)
Send a message via AIM to Jerkratt
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk-421 View Post

God I love my country.
dude get in touch with toyota corp. or talk to there general mang. i think
Old 03-14-2009, 12:45 AM   #80
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Drives: Yaris 1.5 Manual
Given that you'd changed the clutch, there might be sufficient grounds that the powertrain was altered to cause failure to the gearbox. A stock clutch with its associated slippage may have prevented the the gearbox having to deal with the power and torque from the engine fully. Because when it bites better, it also transmits that shock through the gearbox.
TTE Lowering Springs, Camber bolts
TRD Blue brake pads
Fujitsubo Super Wagolis axleback exhaust
DC Sports header
cleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 03:10 AM   #81
tk-421
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleong View Post
Given that you'd changed the clutch, there might be sufficient grounds that the powertrain was altered to cause failure to the gearbox. A stock clutch with its associated slippage may have prevented the the gearbox having to deal with the power and torque from the engine fully. Because when it bites better, it also transmits that shock through the gearbox.
Sounds reasonable, although I had the grinding problem even before I changed my OEM clutch. That was actually one of the reasons I swapped the clutch in the end, thinking that it would fix the problem.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:12 AM   #82
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Drives: Yaris 1.5 Manual
Unless you had reported this to the dealer back then, you can't prove that the grind was already there prior to the clutch swap.

Right now all they are focused on is the labour cost that would have to come out of their shop time, even if Toyota does honor warranty, which is probably why they are trying to get you to pay for labor.

But looking at your mod list, you have 3 items related to gearbox (NST SSK, bushings, ACT clutch) which aren't factory standard. I find that the easiest way to claim warranty without a quibble is to have a bog-stock standard car presented for the dealer's scrutiny, even if it means you have to spend on labor to demod it.

In Singapore, for some brands, warranty becomes void if you so much as skip a scheduled service with the authorized service workshop network. Modding a single item on a car causes the entire car's warranty to be voided, even if the failed part has nothing to do with what was modified, so take heart that there's dealers worse than the one you're dealing with right now.
TTE Lowering Springs, Camber bolts
TRD Blue brake pads
Fujitsubo Super Wagolis axleback exhaust
DC Sports header
cleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:21 PM   #83
Morgan

Drives: 07 MM LB
I'm getting a whole new transmission!

I think the key is to just ride with one of the service technicians from your local dealer and make sure they can replicate the noise, I've been complaining since Jan 08 about this but only now (that third is practically useless) do I get a new transmission...

Ehhh, whatever

my car sans the 3rd gear > slushbox belta
Old 04-08-2009, 02:40 PM   #84
tk-421
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
I think the key is to just ride with one of the service technicians from your local dealer and make sure they can replicate the noise
That's what I did too. The tech actually said that it had nothing to do with the clutch swap or the SSK, but later said that they wouldn't cover my warranty anyway.

I think something like the Magnusson-Moss Act should be enforced around here. I'm gonna ask around and see if that is a possibility for us mexicanos.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:16 PM   #85
Morgan

Drives: 07 MM LB
The dealer just called and asked if I wanted my clutch replaced while the transmission was out, for a moment I thought -- hmm how nice of them to call and ask, considering that dropping the subframe, disconnecting the steering, manhandling the transmission and the headache of putting it all back in is rather tedious --

so then I asked, well is the transmission off the car? "Ohh yes, its off and the new one is about to go in."

so did you take the clutch off the check the wear? "No, but I'm guessing that since you had a bad 3rd gear synchro your clutch has 10,000 more miles left on it."

ok so you didn't take the clutch off the fly wheel or inspect it in any way, yet you KNOW it only has 10,000 miles left on it? "Well we thought we'd try to save you the trouble of replacing it later."

uh-huh, no you may not put a new oem clutch in my car for $500+labor, I think I'll continue to drive my car til the recommended service interval that is 70,000+ miles away, thanks!
Old 09-02-2009, 07:08 PM   #86
redglare45

Drives: 07 Sedan - 5 Speed Manual
Well I know this is an old tread, but count me in on that 3rd gear grind too. Mine usually would come in on downshifts only. Usually downshifting from 4th to 3rd gear usually got it to grind. Only had 61,000 miles, what sucks is that my warranty was over. So now my car is in the shop.
redglare45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:40 PM   #87
az_saguaro
What to Mod Next?

Drives: 2008 3Dr HB, Bayou Blue
Mine has also developed the third gear grind with 67,500. Out of powertrain warranty. I do have the "Toyota Platinum" extended warranty, so now it will be fun to see how they try to not pay the warranty claim. I am sure they will think of a reason.
az_saguaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:22 AM   #88
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchbackkid82 View Post
I don't rough shift. Always make sure the clutch is all the way down when shift. It's driving me nuts. Even if i shift slow at a certain speed it will grind. The grinding sound is faint but still audible, but i can feel it through the shifter. It's like something is spinning in there
Your synchronizer is likely pooched.

Go make an appointment with Toyota, I hope you have drivetrain warranty left!
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:19 PM   #89
az_saguaro
What to Mod Next?

Drives: 2008 3Dr HB, Bayou Blue
Definitely know the synchro was gone, they also found 4th gear teeth chipped and some fried bearings. Took a lot of "discussion" on the phone, but did get it the VSA (extended warranty) to cover repairs. Whew!
az_saguaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:41 AM   #90
hatchbackkid82

Got it taken care of, ended up with a new transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemachine69 View Post
Your synchronizer is likely pooched.

Go make an appointment with Toyota, I hope you have drivetrain warranty left!