Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-01-2011, 04:38 PM   #1
zfarsh

Drives: Yaris Sedan 2009 Automatic
How many BG44K for Carbon Buildup

I have a toyota yaris sedan 2009 with 90,000 km on it. Dealer said i need Fuel Injection Flus (175$) and Trottle Body Service (50$), for loss of performance. I think i am down about 15 - 20 %, not sure as it is getting colder and heater on more than before. I found a place that has BG44K

The questions are as follows, and is directed to people who use BG44K only:
1) How many Cans should i buy, each is about 27$
2) What is the procedure you recommend on this specific case. Do i put the BG44K before or after adding fuel, and when do i re-add fuel (and if required, when do i add more BG44K).

I had made another thread, but it would be confusing, and I need this one to be specific to BG-44K only.

Thanks in advance.
zfarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:58 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
I've not used the stuff but have read that 1 can does a 20 gallon tank. Given that is approx twice the size of the Yaris tank, I'd say 1/2 can for a fillup. Purchasing 1 can would be plenty.

Run the tank down to close to empty. Toss in the BG at the pump and proceed to fillup. One treatment should be enough.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #3
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I have and do. Ea. can measures 11 oz. and is recommended for 20+ gal. tanks. After research and talking to a few folks I am putting 1/2 a can or 5.5 oz. into my tank and filling with fuel. Accordingly this is good for 10K +/-, I do it at ea. 7.5K. In between I treat with their supplement BG CF5 at every 3K.

To sum up initial 5.5 oz. BG44K at 0 mi.
next 11 oz. BGCF5 at 3K
next 11 oz. BGCF5 at 6K
next 5.5 oz. BG44K at 7.5K............and on and on

To use, when your tank shows maybe a 1/4 left and your ready to fill up, have a can ready if you are dumping the whole can, be sure you have a long neck funnel that will insert inside your fuel tank opening. Insert funnel and pour can contents into the tank (NOTE: Do not spill contents on paint - if you need to ask why don't mess with it) then put your gas in.

Now if you decide to do as I am you will need to split the can contents into 2 containers, ea. with 5.5 Oz. and do the same way. As i said, 1 can should be good for 10-15K if it's all you intend on doing. Split can gets you 2 times as much.

I am doing it my way because I very rarely ever get out on or up to interstate speeds. So alot depends on how you drive your car.

As this has been edited, I do agree that the dealer is seeing you as a victim and would shy away from that service. Just get a can, DIY and be happy.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Klink10; 11-02-2011 at 08:41 AM.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:16 AM   #4
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
dealer looks to rip you off seeing as the 175 dollar service includes can of throttle body cleaner that their charging seperate....

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:07 AM   #5
zfarsh

thank you for the comments.

Questions:

- Ok, so i know the can is for 20 gallon of tank, and my tank is about half. The reason i am doing this now is because the dealer noticed the loss in efficiency due to carbon buildup. So i want to put it back to new condition. Would it be "bad" for the car if poured the whole can in it? I dont want to damage the car either. I drive on the highway every weekend, and doing about 20,000 to 30,000 km / year.

- Finally, about how to put the BG44k in the tank, shoulnt i first put the gas in till maybe 3/4 the way, then add the BG44K, and then fill up with more gas. The reason being again i am scared of damaging the car if it is at say 1/4 of the tank, as it is for 20 galons if i put the whole can, then top off with fuel?

I havent hurd of the BGCF5, will have to see if i can find it. What does it do anyways?
Old 11-02-2011, 09:18 AM   #6
WeeYari

KISS principle!

Follow the advice on the can/what you've received here so far. Don't overthink it. Don't mess with it.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:47 AM   #7
zfarsh

cool, but there is no instructions on it :(. I just bought a long funnel as per suggestions.

Just re-read the post by Klink10 a few more times, and i see i can use the whole can. Will do so now. Thanks again for sharing your experience Klink10, really appreciate it. What is the BGCF5 and when should i put it if i am putting BG-44K every 15,000 km? Like half way with 11oz bottle?

Last edited by zfarsh; 11-02-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:28 PM   #8
Klink10

BG C5F is the maintenance stuff. Really don't get wrapped up about it. Just use the BG 44K and you will be alright. If you plan on every 15K you will be fine. As has been said when you go to fill up add what you want then fill the rest of the way. The idea is to get it in and let the filling fuel mix it up. (That's the instructions plus the 11 oz. can is for 20 gal + tanks).

Though I say it is okay, if you are worried about damaging the car then just put in 5.5 oz. Better yet if your dealer was going to use it ask him how much they were going to put in. My bet is the whole can, but ask if you think you should.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:53 PM   #9
zfarsh

Thanks Klink10, I already applied the whole can, as I read in another forum that it was not dangerous to do so... too late anyways ;).

About the BG-CF5, since i am getting into doing small stuff myself bit by bit, I want to learn about this too. Now, from what i read on their website, it seems to be doing similar stuff than BG-44K, to a point i am confused as to the difference in effect, and it mentions to add every 5,000 miles, which is roughly every oil change (8,000 km), or i guess in between the BG-44k cycle, though i still dont understand its use vrs doing BG-44K every 15,000 kms
Old 11-03-2011, 08:10 AM   #10
Klink10

My interpretation is that BG 44K is the big gun done say every 15K. In between the CF5 is the maintainer done at ea. 5K. So you do BG at say 0 followed at 5K and 10K with CF5 ending the cycle with a 44K at 15K. That pretty much follows their guidelines and should keep the fuel system very clean. Add to this a ck of the PCV valve, plugs, MAF and air filter maintenance and you have pretty much covered it all. Now, it is also mentioned in several forums to keep up with the condition of your oil. Why, folks using this in older vehicles with deteriorating ring clearances are experiencing 'blow by" where everything is not being burned but forced downward into the crankcase thus for the lack of a better way of saying it....polluting the oil. So a check here occasionally for change in color might mean a need for altering your oil change frequency. Personally I do that anyway when I ck the level and I'm not to worried about it with a low mileage car. Just something more to think about.

Added.....don't worry about the CF5. Just do what you did ea. say 12-15K and you should be fine.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:19 AM   #11
WeeYari

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfarsh View Post
I think i am down about 15 - 20 %, not sure as it is getting colder and heater on more than before.
Now we all wait to see if any gains get realized. Tough time of year to have done this now that seasonal transition will impact figures greatly.

Be sure to post up, since this is pretty much the first BG thread on here.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:29 AM   #12
WeeYari

Where the hell is the OP!!

I want to hear some results. Pisses me off when we get raped for advice, but get no follow-up.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:22 AM   #13
90tsi

Drives: 09 yaris
I work for big o and we do all the bg service stuff.... Tranny,power steering,brake etc... Ive swiped a few cans off 44k for myself. I personal noticed a lil difference. But i got better mpgs the tank after it was used. Theres an induction service that can b done to clean the throttle body intake and valves. It cleans really well but has Habit of fowling plugs and is pricey. But everyone that had it and had bad carbon build up had notice a huge difference.
90tsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:53 AM   #14
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
Banned

Drives: yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKLAND TOYOTA View Post
dealer looks to rip you off seeing as the 175 dollar service includes can of throttle body cleaner that their charging seperate....
for $175 they'd better be pulling the injectors out and dipping them
in solvent, and then hook up to a cleaning apparatus and flow bench
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:35 PM   #15
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
If you're worried about carbon build up.. just take your car out and drive it HARD. Like.. 5-6k RPM hard.
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote