Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-05-2010, 10:54 AM   #1
mariann

Drives: yaris 2007
changing gear from robotic to automatic

hey guys. how can i change an robotic transmission to fully automated transmission? year model 2007. should i have to compleatly replace the computer? or it can be replaced and connect to the same components?

Thanks
mariann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:19 AM   #2
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Why covert? Too much work and effort - sell manual trans car and buy car with Automatic. Is the Manual ( robotic?) damaged broken?

Last edited by TheSilkySmooth; 04-06-2010 at 09:06 AM. Reason: sp comp
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:55 AM   #3
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post
Why/ too much work and effort - sell manual trans car and buy car with Automatic. Is the Manual ( robotic?) damaged broken?
I agree sell the Manual and buy an auto , which will be a lot cheaper than converting your current Manual to automatic.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:45 PM   #4
mariann

Drives: yaris 2007
in israel there is no automatic transmission for yaris. and corolla. only manual and robotic transmission.
the robotic is the same as manual transmission. its has a dry cluck and 6 gear. but its have no clutch pedal. the gearbox itself changing gears pressing the cluch. leaving it. accellerate and so by digital signals.
but its so aufull transmission...
there is a system wich prevent the engine to turn off by sensing the RPM and the stress on the engine. when needed its press only "Half cluch" exactly like MT. also it does that when you start driving. anyway. this system suck. its transfer from half cluch to full cluch without reasons. driving at trafic speed as 6 km/h or 3 mph can drive you crazy!
once i saw another corolla driver got out of the car in the middle of a trafic jam and kick hies car.
only few know why.
then he got in the car and drove to the side to calm down...

its like having a fight with the car
the transmission changing gear when he feels like. depending the slop angle of the car and the gas pedal.
it automaticly lowers gear when down-hill even when i dont want it to...
and up hill? well its starting to play with the gears. its has no lock or power button.
ho... and the manufactur orders " when starting the drive you must always use the handbrake" - the reason is that at the seccond you leave the brake and press the gas pedal the vehicle will roll back. its has no cluch or any power to hold it in place...
aufull gearbox with only one dry cluch... so you see why i wanna change the gearbox... insted of buying a new MT car.
by the way. at US the new yaris costs 16.000 $ here its costs 31.800$ to compare to the wage here. the minimum salery is 7 $ an hour. usually ppls work for 10 $ per hour avarage...
well its costs much more here then you can imagine.
a new yaris will take 24 months of full salery (on avarage)
anyway...
cant be change from robotic to automatic on a resonable price?
mariann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:12 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
You would have to change the ECM (engine computer as well), since the automatic transmission doesn't have a separate computer (like I believe your robotic one does) and the shift mechanism. There would also likely be some wiring differences between the two, so the ideal thing would be to purchase an engine wiring harness for a Yaris with the same engine, but with the automatic transmission.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:02 PM   #6
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Ah, like the MR2 Spyder had (has?). They called it the sequential transmission.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:34 AM   #7
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
You could look for a gray market imported Yaris with an auto, as it would cost you even more to import everything you need to change your manual transmission to an automatic.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:55 PM   #8
matanfr
diaper change in a yaris

Drives: 2009 multimode hatchback 5dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariann View Post
hey guys. how can i change an robotic transmission to fully automated transmission? year model 2007. should i have to compleatly replace the computer? or it can be replaced and connect to the same components?

Thanks

shalom mariann,i'm from israel too,but i'll write in english so everyone will understand the infromation.you can "change" the robotic transmission to semi-automatic by moving the gear stick to the left from "Es" to "m".

the +- shifts to gears up or down respectively.please remember to remove your hand from the gas pedal in order for the clutch to engage.after you shift up or down put you leg again on the gas.
i know it's a little tricky..i you got used to driving only automatic transmission the shift to robotic transmission can become difficult sometimes.
matanfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:23 AM   #9
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
I was assuming Robotic shifter was just another term for Automatic transmission,further reading seems to make me think its something else that we dont get over here in N.America,does it have something to do with the flappy paddle shifters around the steering wheel?
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:58 AM   #10
samiadola
I've made a post!

Drives: daihatsu
matanfr , i live in jerusalem .. I am thinking of buying a corolla with robotic transmission , i know it's yaris world :P but i guess you are the only one to help on the internet ..
does this robotic transmission have many problems as they say or it just takes time to get used to it ?
Will it need to be repaired a lot or it is just like any other transmission ?
samiadola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:45 PM   #11
petyanca

Drives: 09 LB, 3 door, auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by matanfr View Post
please remember to remove your hand from the gas pedal in order for the clutch to engage.
So you guys use hand to depress gas pedal? Left or right hand ? What do you do wiith your right leg? Hop through radio stations ? This robotic stuff is really puzzling.
petyanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:51 PM   #12
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
Banned

Drives: yaris
^ cut some slack not everyone translates well

How's your Modern Hebrew coming along ?
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:42 PM   #13
Qmobile
that's right I went there

Drives: '08 Blazin' Blue,'10 Dark Red
Sounds like the robotic tranny is similar to the old "auto-stick" vw had in the old bugs n stuff

suggestions always welcome
Qmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:43 PM   #14
petyanca

Drives: 09 LB, 3 door, auto
When I google "robotic transmission" the second page in results is this thread. Really rare earth stuff this is.
petyanca is offline   Reply With Quote