Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-14-2014, 08:37 AM   #1
fishlurcher

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2003 1.0 vvti
EP Steering problem

Hi all, ok my 2003 Yaris 1.0 VVTi 3 door Colour collection has a steering problem, tracking was checked and fine, the steering will not centralise from turning left, turn right and all is fine, also feels weird when driving kinda wandering, everything stripped and checked to ensure free, ie track rod ends, hubs and struts free, EPS Light is NOT on, but checked it lights up and goes out after starting, so a change of Rack was next, Didn't make any difference, Steering has been zero'd, according to mechanic, any ideas please, don't want to change power column unless that's all it could be now

Last edited by fishlurcher; 08-14-2014 at 09:11 AM.
fishlurcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:29 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Has the power steering motor assembly been changed? It has the torque sensors built into it for determining what the user is trying to do with the steering wheel.

As a side note, I was very surprised to see that your MK1 Yaris has EPS. Our MK1 over here had hydraulic power steering.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:08 AM   #3
fishlurcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Has the power steering motor assembly been changed? It has the torque sensors built into it for determining what the user is trying to do with the steering wheel.

As a side note, I was very surprised to see that your MK1 Yaris has EPS. Our MK1 over here had hydraulic power steering.
Power steering motor is the one that was on it when purchased, I purchased from auction and fault was existing, so I have not had it changed, mechanic has told me he has calibrated steering when replacement rack was fitted, as steering seems ok when turning right he is not convinced its the Electric power steering motor in response to side note would have preferred it to have hydraulic PS
Old 08-18-2014, 09:44 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishlurcher View Post
Power steering motor is the one that was on it when purchased, I purchased from auction and fault was existing, so I have not had it changed, mechanic has told me he has calibrated steering when replacement rack was fitted, as steering seems ok when turning right he is not convinced its the Electric power steering motor in response to side note would have preferred it to have hydraulic PS
Try pulling the EPS fuse in in the under bonnet fuse panel and see if it feels fine (other than without the assist you will get a bit of a workout when turning the wheel at low speed).
Old 08-23-2014, 11:06 AM   #5
fishlurcher

Thank you CT Scott will try that sorry big gaps in progress with this just my work keeps me away for days, will try that tomorrow and let you know asap how I get on
Old 08-25-2014, 01:24 PM   #6
fishlurcher

Quote:
Try pulling the EPS fuse in in the under bonnet fuse panel and see if it feels fine (other than without the assist you will get a bit of a workout when turning the wheel at low speed).
Pulled 50 amp fuse that said EMPS, Must be right one as no PS red PS Light on dash also, sadly still seems the same, not centralising completely when turning left
Old 08-25-2014, 01:49 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Pulled 50 amp fuse that said EMPS, Must be right one as no PS red PS Light on dash also, sadly still seems the same, not centralising completely when turning left
OK. In that case, your problem is definitely below the steering column. Besides the rack itself, it could be a suspension or tire issue.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:23 AM   #8
fishlurcher

Quote:
OK. In that case, your problem is definitely below the steering column. Besides the rack itself, it could be a suspension or tire issue.
Thanks again, Is the castor/camber adjustable on these or is it fixed ? could it be this ? I am starting to think the garage is a bit suspect, will get tracking checked elsewhere again
Old 08-26-2014, 06:43 AM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Thanks again, Is the castor/camber adjustable on these or is it fixed ? could it be this ? I am starting to think the garage is a bit suspect, will get tracking checked elsewhere again
The caster and camber have a very small amount of adjustment. Has the shop that adjusted your tracking (what we term alignment) given you a printout that shows the before and after of the adjustments that they made?
Old 08-26-2014, 08:08 AM   #10
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
I've had similar issue when i had an accident with my gen1. I hit a curb, sorta.

The steering rack was the culprit, where the steering wheel would not come back when i turn to a complete left. I had to have the steering rack rebuilt.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:46 AM   #11
fishlurcher

Quote:
The caster and camber have a very small amount of adjustment. Has the shop that adjusted your tracking (what we term alignment) given you a printout that shows the before and after of the adjustments that they made?
No I am going to have Tracking/alignment checked again ffs I have lost faith in that garage
Old 08-27-2014, 07:49 AM   #12
fishlurcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
I've had similar issue when i had an accident with my gen1. I hit a curb, sorta.

The steering rack was the culprit, where the steering wheel would not come back when i turn to a complete left. I had to have the steering rack rebuilt.
Had replacement rack which although 2nd hand was a good one, seems to be nowt wrong with original now
Old 12-23-2014, 05:06 PM   #13
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
This was posted in the wrong section, moved it. Please remember to post your threads in the correct section.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering issues