Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-07-2018, 06:44 AM   #1
BennyLava

Drives: 1987 Silverado
Need help fixing this problem (shocks)

Hi all, I'm needing some help on my 2009 Yaris Sedan. Try as I might I can't seem to get rid of this problem. The other cars that I have seen, do not have this issue. I recently put new KYB shocks on the front of the car, because it has 200k miles on it, and that seemed like a good excuse to go ahead and try to solve this issue.

I was hoping that with the new set of shocks, maybe I could somehow get to the bottom of what is causing this big gap between the top of the shock and the shock tower. I am inclined to say that it is not an issue of tightening the nut. Maybe it is, but if so, that nut needs to be so tight that to go any further, will surely break my allen wrench (aka hex wrench?)

I can barely keep tightening with the regular wrench. But with the force of holding onto the allen wrench while tightening, there isn't much more the allen wrench is going to take before it breaks. It seems right at the limit. So that is what leads me to believe that the nuts on top are about as tight as they can go. Because that would seem like the logical way to fix it, right? Just tighten the nut more and it will cinch down. But they don't seem to want to go any tighter.

So I'm kind of at a loss here. The new shocks came with everything. Everything that came off of the car during the repair, had a replacement in the box with the new shocks. Including those bushings that go at the top. Nothing appears to be missing. The only thing I can think of to do, is to maybe get some kind of spacer to put in there. But I'd really rather find out what the real problem is and fix that. What do you think it could be?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yaris1.jpg (290.4 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg Yaris2.jpg (304.6 KB, 108 views)
BennyLava is offline   Reply With Quote