Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-14-2018, 07:15 PM   #1
James Yaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris 3dr hatchback
Ac Question

Hello to all! I have been a long time watcher of this forum and finally decided to join. You all are awesome! I have been inspired and have learned a ton about the little car I have grown to love.
I have the strange rattle coming from what appears to be the Ac compressor clutch/pulley on my 2007 Yaris 3dr hatchback. I found a part on Amazon to replace the pulley assembley. It is made by Autex. AUTEX AC A/C Compressor Clutch Coil Assembly Kit 88310-52481 Replacement for 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 Toyota Yaris 1.5L. Has anyone else had any experience with this part from this manufacturer?
It appears to me that the Ac is stuck on and the clutch is not disengaging. I took a jumper and actuated the solenoid on and off and never heard it/saw it disengage. I then had a friend turn the Ac on and off while i watched the pulley. Still not disengaging, but yet the engine pulses like the ac is cycling on and off while I run the defrost. I have read about the remanufactured Ac compressors that can be picked up for about 150 usd on the internet. What is the best route to go? Buy a remanufactured unit, or try to replace the pulley and clutch assembly?
I live in Wisconsin where it is cold right now. I bought a serpentine belt for a Yaris w/o Ac planning to disable the Ac until i can figure out the issue so i dont damage the compressor if the bearing in the clutch seizes up. Is there anything else I would need to do to disable the Ac compressor like removing a fuse or a relay? Or am I good just using a belt that bypasses the pulley, knowing the car uses the Ac to boost the defrost.
I am an Industrial Maintenance Mechanic by trade so i am pretty sure i will be able to repair the compressor clutch if I pull the compressor but is it worth the time and effort?
Thanks again for any assistance.
James Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 07:57 PM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
There is no magnetic clutch on 2nd and 3rd gen yaris'. The clutch always appears to be spinning regardless of activation or not.

If the rattle is from the compressor it could be a bad bearing. Imo just her a reman'd aftermarket unit for just over $100. Just make sure the compressor is the problem first.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:05 PM   #3
James Yaris

Thanks much Tmontague....makes sense if there's no magnetic clutch that it would be spinning. I will have to dig a little deeper and see if i cant figure it out. Would you know anything else I would need to do to disable it for now, other than replace the serpentine belt with one for a Yaris w/o Ac? Re-pull the fuse or relay or jump something out so it thinks its not there for now? I spun the water pump by hand and that's spinning smooth and freely w/o belt on so i'm pretty certain the rattle is from the compressor. I found this remanufactured Ac compressor on the internet, has anyone bought from these guys? https://www.rycompressors.com/shop/2...hoCyFoQAvD_BwE
Old 12-15-2018, 09:00 AM   #4
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Yaris HVAC clutch

Some rotating element there has to have spinning and not-spinning states, or there is no clutch...maybe something we're used to seeing on other A/C clutches is just hidden from view?
Nice to know that the alternative belt bolts right in.
Did the A/C stop making cold air?
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:29 AM   #5
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
From my understanding there is not really a clutch, it is an internal mechanism that "turns on" or off.

To disable it but keep it charged you can just run a shorter mon a/c belt or pull a fuse or pull the elextrical connector on the compressor

I've never purchased a reman'd unit from that website but I bought a cheap $110 ebay reman'd compressor when I did my 2zr swap and I've had no issues with it.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:00 AM   #6
James Yaris

Thanks for the help with this guys. As far as I can tell the Ac compressor is putting out cold air, but the temperature outside is 29 degrees right now so its hard to be positive. I'm judging my assumption based on how effective the car has been at clearing the frost off my windshield before the engine is fully warmed up. The Ac was strong and cold when I used it over the summer. Sounds like either way I do this the compressor will need to come off the car eventually, just hoping its not when my ass is frozen to the pavement but rather when I can do it in comfort.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:40 AM   #7
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Yaris View Post
Thanks for the help with this guys. As far as I can tell the Ac compressor is putting out cold air, but the temperature outside is 29 degrees right now so its hard to be positive. I'm judging my assumption based on how effective the car has been at clearing the frost off my windshield before the engine is fully warmed up. The Ac was strong and cold when I used it over the summer. Sounds like either way I do this the compressor will need to come off the car eventually, just hoping its not when my ass is frozen to the pavement but rather when I can do it in comfort.
Heat your car up inside really well and turn on recirculate, then AC. It will draw warm air from inside and cool it. You'll see the difference. That's what I'll be doing when I finally get new compressor installed and the system recharged.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote