Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-23-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Arrow Fram Fresh Breeze Cabin Air filter ( CF 10285 )

at Wal-Mart for $19.97. Plan to get one of these for the '08 sedan . Looks to be better quality for less money than that of the TOYOTA cabin air filter . Here's the website , http://www.framfreshbreeze.com/ . Don't have one for the FIT , that cabin filter is flimsy . Lets a lot of dust in . It's available for '06 > '11 YARIS . The '12 isn't shown .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:58 AM   #2
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
The Wix from rockauto is $10. It's much better than stock.

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...453&cc=1502640
UberSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #3
mr_miles

Drives: 2013 Yaris
I read farm fresh. I then thought "gross"

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Ahhh now I see. Your backseat pulls out, but you don't. :)
mr_miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_miles View Post
I read farm fresh. I then thought "gross"
That would be like driving out in the country when they are fertilizing.
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:27 AM   #5
Foot

Drives: 2010 3dr yaris
So I say to myself, Self maybe you should change your in cabin air filter. So I go to the place where a filter should be in my car and there is nothing there. No filter. I purchased the car new so unless it just was not installed I am wondering does the 2010 LB suppose to have one?
Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:42 AM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot View Post
So I say to myself, Self maybe you should change your in cabin air filter. So I go to the place where a filter should be in my car and there is nothing there. No filter. I purchased the car new so unless it just was not installed I am wondering does the 2010 LB suppose to have one?
They were typically not installed at the time of purchase, but you definitely want one there. The filter helps prevent having crud from the air mix with the condensate in the air box, turning it into a cesspool.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #7
BLH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
My 2007 didn't have one from the factory either.
I installed one myself.
BLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:07 AM   #8
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
at Wal-Mart for $19.97. Plan to get one of these for the '08 sedan . Looks to be better quality for less money than that of the TOYOTA cabin air filter . Here's the website , http://www.framfreshbreeze.com/ . Don't have one for the FIT , that cabin filter is flimsy . Lets a lot of dust in . It's available for '06 > '11 YARIS . The '12 isn't shown .
I read this on Saturday night when you posted it. I purchased it on Sunday night. Earlier tonight I was reading this thread with CTScott's use of the word cesspool, and decided I should install it 'sooner rather than later'.

I'd never removed the glovebox (nor authorized a dealer or anyone else to). I followed BailOut's DIY re removing the glovebox and the cover (he made his own filter). The plastic in my car is white (like in BailOut's car), but whatever is sitting in that slot ABOVE where the cabin air filter fits (in BailOut's car on page 1 of his DIY) is missing in my car. That slot is empty. My car looks like jpadua's car (page 2 of BailOut's DIY -- jpadua = both the cabin air filter slot and the slot above that both empty ( that way from the factory for me) ) except with the plastic the same color as in BailOut's car. BailOut's pics do serve to let me know where (with certainty) the cabin air filter is supposed to go.

It doesn't fit, it's too long...and I did put it all the way in. I'd have to collapse the baffles to a certain degree to get the cover back on. The Fram website indicates the model number you listed for the 2007. The instructions on the inside of the box mention the Yaris, but the pictures aren't for the Yaris. It fits some Yari, as one person on BailOut's thread wrote that it smells like baby powder. Perhaps since you have a different year and have a sedan, it might fit. I've already returned the one I bought. Thanks, though, for posting this. Never know until you try .
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #9
Hershey

That stinks . I'll have to give one a try .
Old 03-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #10
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
^^^^^ When I originally tried to put the Fram filter in, I said to myself 'it makes more sense to put the longer dimension across the width of the car, but that means you have to potentially damage the baffles and Toyota wouldn't design this process to require that. I was right re that thought (and more on that in a minute). I went to NAPA and looked at the part # 4483 that YarisLover09 used and that one = the same dimensions as the Fram FreshBreeze. I then went to the nearest Toyota dealer. The parts guy came out and looked at what I was describing. He was amazed that Toyota didn't include a cabin air filter from the factory on the early Yari. He left and returned with a filter. I could tell that it would fit. I was right that Toyota wouldn't design a process where one might have to damage the filter to install it. The OEM filter is the same size as the FreshBreeze and the NAPA, but the construction is quite different...much more pliable (and looks less effective than the aftermarket choices). The OEM filter also has a sort of netting that attaches to the hard frame on either end. The netting (not present on the aftermarket choices (the baffles on the aftermarket choices are sturdier and don't need the netting to help hold things together). The netting also appears to help keep the filter from catching on the grate below (an advantage the aftermarket filters don't have). I think the Fram FreshBreeze filter with the part #CF10285 you (Hershey) cited is the best. It is slightly more expensive than the NAPA and the AutoZone alternatives, but it looks as if it is capable of filtering the most, and I was able to install it (after a repurchase) without any of the 'treatment' appearing to have flaked off.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:09 PM   #11
Hershey

So , did you have to force the filter in or was somewhat cooperative ? The original is flexible since it goes in at an angle . Can you get pics of it in place ? Thanks for the effort .
Old 03-28-2013, 01:50 AM   #12
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
So , did you have to force the filter in or was somewhat cooperative ? The original is flexible since it goes in at an angle . Can you get pics of it in place ? Thanks for the effort .
It was somewhat cooperative. You definitely get the gist of how well Toyota engineers things with your "the original is flexible since it goes in at an angle" comment, which was my exact thought when the parts guy at the Toyota dealership brought out the OEM filter (which I had never seen before as my car didn't come with a filter from the factory). The baffles on the Fram filter ended up having more flexibility than I thought they would. What caught me by surprise was how easy the baffles 'caught' (but not causing damage) on the 'grate'. I'm guessing what I called the 'grate' is really the top or 'cage' for the fan housing? Once in place, in fits really well. I've never uploaded (or tried to upload) a pic to Yarisworld (). I can take a pic and will have time to look into uploading it and hopefully successfully execute that on Friday (3/29).
Old 03-29-2013, 02:47 AM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Will try what tk-421 suggests on FAQ How to post pictures.....but have to find misplaced camera ().
Old 03-31-2013, 04:18 AM   #14
nookandcrannycar

I found my camera and took 2 pictures of the installed filter (one with the cover off and one with the cover on). I figured out how to use bayimg (suggested by tk-421 on CTScott's DIY upload thread) with a pic from Florida already on my hard drive. Now, ugh, I can't get my computer to recognize my SD card (where the filter pics are located). Hopefully I'll be able to get that solved in the next couple of days.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:26 PM   #15
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
http://bayimg.com/oaleHAAed

I figured out why my computer wasn't recognizing the SD card and corrected the issue (card reader malfunction). The way bayimg.com works is that it creates a URL for the picture you upload. I tried uploading the picture of the installed filter with the cover off first. That worked and the URL is the http://bayimg.com/oaleHAAed above. After tabbing to the next paragraph the highlighted link no longer appeared as a highlighted link, but once I previewed the post, the link returned. I tried uploading the pic I took after I put the cover back on, but for some reason it won't upload. I hope you are able to view my picture of my installed Fram Fresh Breeze filter with the cover off
Old 04-01-2013, 10:51 PM   #16
Hershey

Thanks for the pic . Do you notice less air flow with FRAM ? How about any improvements ? Will have to pick one up . Have alot of dust ( dirt ) and salt on the roads from late October to mid April . Less pollen would be nice too .
Old 04-02-2013, 02:49 AM   #17
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Thanks for the pic . Do you notice less air flow with FRAM ? How about any improvements ? Will have to pick one up . Have alot of dust ( dirt ) and salt on the roads from late October to mid April . Less pollen would be nice too .
I'm glad the pic displayed for you. Yes, definitely less airflow, but not enough that I have to lower the A/C temp or increase the fan. My car is pretty dirty, so I can't tell yet re the dust. I'll probably wash and vacum my car within the next 24 hours, so I'll know a day or two after that. I would think that it would be catching quite a bit. Right after I put it in I was going down a straightaway on a 2 lane rural road that people use as a shortcut (so a convenience store sprouted up). An old car (that may be exempt from smog) pulled out of the convenience store parking lot and was then in front of me. If this car had to pass smog, I doubt it would. In such situations in the past (with the filter slot empty (as it had been since new)) I would smell the full brunt of that unpleasant exhaust. This time (after the Fram installation) I could still smell the unpleasant 'ancient exhaust' but the filter mitigated what definitely would have been more unpleasant. I know, even at this point, that I would not ever get the OEM. The OEM might be easier to install, but I can tell by the construction that it couldn't possibly do as good a job of filtering as either the NAPA or the Fram Fresh Breeze. I didn't bother looking at the AutoZone one because it is slightly more expensive than the NAPA and doesn't have any 'special features'. The one thing I didn't anticipate (and this is probably because I have so much stuff in my glove boxes) is that after removing the lower glove box to get to the filter housing, the plastic doesn't fit as tightly unless I really slam that glove box closed.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:30 PM   #18
nookandcrannycar

Yes Hershey, I am noticing that the Fram Fresh Breeze provides quite an improvement (at least in my case). The Yaris is such an airtight car, I almost always keep the window for the driver side door cracked open a bit...ever since the car was new. I've always ended up with a fair amount of dust (up to quite a bit at times) on the dash. I always assumed it was because I had the window cracked open just a bit. Now I'm getting almost no dust accumulation, and I haven't changed anything re the driver door window being cracked open a bit. I think the most logical explanation is that the Fram filter is catching most of what used to come into the cabin and partially into my lungs . The air flow is reduced, but that drawback is definitely worth what is being kept (in my case) out of the cabin .