Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-21-2014, 10:05 AM   #1
TheBeerglar

Drives: 06 Yaris RS 4Dr Hatchback
Question 2006 Yaris RS keyless entry details

Hello,

I recently purchased a 2006 Yaris RS which unfortunately came with only a 3rd party key. I guess the original owners lost the main keys.

I'd like to buy and program a new key fob for my vehicle but I'm having some issues pinning down which fob is the right one for my particular model as it seems to be a transition year for the Yaris.

From the fobs and programming instructions I've found it seems to be either 2007-2011 or I can find 2000-2005 echo products.

I'm confirmed with the dealership that my car did have keyless entry available so I would only need to have a fob made. Also that I do not need the key type that requires the anti-theft chip as a simple $5 cut key will start my vehicle.

Could someone please answer the following;

1. Which key fob models can be used?
2. Is there models you would recommend for hearty build? aesthetics?
3. Which programming sequence should I use?

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Cheers,
TheBeerglar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:09 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Your 2006 is the same as a 2007. Because the US did not get the 2nd generation until 2007, many companies ignore the 2006 year.

When you say the fob you received is a third party one, what exactly is it? If it is some brand other than Toyota then you likely do not have OEM keyless entry, but rather have an aftermarket system installed on your car.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:34 PM   #3
TheBeerglar

Drives: 06 Yaris RS 4Dr Hatchback
To clarify I I do not have a key fob I only own a key.I would like to get a new one in order to have keyless entry.

The reason I believe that The 2007 is different from my 2006 is that the locksmith I went to said that for a 2007 I would need a programmed key running at about $80, however, with my year I simply need a standard key for $5.

I asked the dealership to check my VIN and see if OEM keyless was originally available with my car and they confirmed that it did.
TheBeerglar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 01:16 PM   #4
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
I have a 2007 purchased in 2006 and the keyfob is not the same used in USA.

the best bet is really get it done at the dealer.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:21 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeerglar View Post
To clarify I I do not have a key fob I only own a key.I would like to get a new one in order to have keyless entry.

The reason I believe that The 2007 is different from my 2006 is that the locksmith I went to said that for a 2007 I would need a programmed key running at about $80, however, with my year I simply need a standard key for $5.

I asked the dealership to check my VIN and see if OEM keyless was originally available with my car and they confirmed that it did.
With the key, if your ignition switch is all metal then you have non-transponder keys (which require no programming). If only the small round part that rotates with the key is metal and the outer part is black plastic, then you have transponder keys, which do require programming.

With the key fob, the car was available with remote entry that year, but the question is if yours was actually built with it (and the prior owner just didn't pass on the remote). If it was not, then quite a bit more than the fob is required to add it.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:51 AM   #6
vivalaflam
Enthusiast

Drives: 07 Yaris HB 1.3 (EU)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
With the key, if your ignition switch is all metal then you have non-transponder keys (which require no programming). If only the small round part that rotates with the key is metal and the outer part is black plastic, then you have transponder keys, which do require programming.

My keys have no buttons whatsoever but my ignition is plastic

Sent from my HTC Explorer A310e or my awesome Xperia Z1 C6903 using Tapatalk.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:38 AM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalaflam View Post

My keys have no buttons whatsoever but my ignition is plastic

So, you don't have keyless entry (buttons on the key would be for locking and unlocking the doors), but you do have the engine immobilizer (transponder keys).
Old 11-26-2014, 06:54 AM   #8
vivalaflam
Enthusiast

Drives: 07 Yaris HB 1.3 (EU)
Does that mean that i can get maybe just a key with buttons and maybe would work with some programming?

Old 11-26-2014, 11:21 AM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalaflam View Post
Does that mean that i can get maybe just a key with buttons and maybe would work with some programming?

Only if your car was built with keyless entry, but the prior owner did not pass the remote keys on with the car. Otherwise, adding OEM keyless entry means adding over $1000 worth of parts.

Tags
fob, key remote, keyless entry, programming, yaris